Compaq Laptop won't boot to CD.

rspartacus@gmail.com

      5th Nov 2006
My Compaq Laptop with a one bay floppydrive/cdrom, one day, will not
boot up to windows 2000 Pro. It will not boot up to the install CD when
trying to reinstall window 2000. The laptop was originally Windows 95,
then later upgraded to 98 and now 2000. Even after I set the BOIS to
allow the CD-ROM to be the first to boot it will not see any bootable
CD. I don't have the restore CD.

The reason for reinstalling is because the operating system won't boot
up. It hangs. It will boot up to the boot diskettes. After running the
win2000 boot diskettes I choose "R' for repair but I get, "cannot find
hard drive." I'm trying to get to a command prompt so I can copy the
disks to the hard drive but not sure how to get into the command
prompt. What are some other ideas I can try? Thanks.

Dave Patrick

      5th Nov 2006
(Note: If your drive controller is not natively supported then you'll want
to boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom (or setup disks). Then *F6* very
early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system) in the setup
to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify additional
drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer supplied
Windows 2000 driver for your drive controller in drive "A")

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
| My Compaq Laptop with a one bay floppydrive/cdrom, one day, will not
| boot up to windows 2000 Pro. It will not boot up to the install CD when
| trying to reinstall window 2000. The laptop was originally Windows 95,
| then later upgraded to 98 and now 2000. Even after I set the BOIS to
| allow the CD-ROM to be the first to boot it will not see any bootable
| CD. I don't have the restore CD.
|
| The reason for reinstalling is because the operating system won't boot
| up. It hangs. It will boot up to the boot diskettes. After running the
| win2000 boot diskettes I choose "R' for repair but I get, "cannot find
| hard drive." I'm trying to get to a command prompt so I can copy the
| disks to the hard drive but not sure how to get into the command
| prompt. What are some other ideas I can try? Thanks.

philo

      5th Nov 2006

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My Compaq Laptop with a one bay floppydrive/cdrom, one day, will not
> boot up to windows 2000 Pro. It will not boot up to the install CD when
> trying to reinstall window 2000. The laptop was originally Windows 95,
> then later upgraded to 98 and now 2000. Even after I set the BOIS to
> allow the CD-ROM to be the first to boot it will not see any bootable
> CD. I don't have the restore CD.

<snip>

you need to go into the bios and see if you can re-detect the harddrive and
cdrom...

it appears that they both have not been detected.

If one device is detected only...
it's indicative of the other having failed...

otoh: if neither is detected...it may be a controller problem

the only good news is that if the controller failed...
your data on the HD is still there!

Gary Chanson

      5th Nov 2006
Additionally, it may be that you simply don't have a bootable CD in the
drive. The Windows 2000 Setup disk should be bootable but your disk might
be damaged.

You should be able to boot into DOS from either a floppy or CD.

--

- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
- Abolish Public Schools

news:#(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My Compaq Laptop with a one bay floppydrive/cdrom, one day, will not
> > boot up to windows 2000 Pro. It will not boot up to the install CD when
> > trying to reinstall window 2000. The laptop was originally Windows 95,
> > then later upgraded to 98 and now 2000. Even after I set the BOIS to
> > allow the CD-ROM to be the first to boot it will not see any bootable
> > CD. I don't have the restore CD.

> <snip>
>
> you need to go into the bios and see if you can re-detect the harddrive

and
> cdrom...
>
> it appears that they both have not been detected.
>
> If one device is detected only...
> it's indicative of the other having failed...
>
> otoh: if neither is detected...it may be a controller problem
>

> the only good news is that if the controller failed...
> your data on the HD is still there!

- Bobb -

      5th Nov 2006

"Gary Chanson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Additionally, it may be that you simply don't have a bootable CD in
> the
> drive. The Windows 2000 Setup disk should be bootable but your disk
> might
> be damaged.
>
> You should be able to boot into DOS from either a floppy or CD.
>
> --
>
> - Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
> - Abolish Public Schools

re - your signature ... in my town they want to "renovate" all 5
schools - cost = 285 million friggin dollars. Movin on out.

paulmd@efn.org

      6th Nov 2006

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> My Compaq Laptop with a one bay floppydrive/cdrom, one day, will not
> boot up to windows 2000 Pro. It will not boot up to the install CD when
> trying to reinstall window 2000. The laptop was originally Windows 95,
> then later upgraded to 98 and now 2000. Even after I set the BOIS to
> allow the CD-ROM to be the first to boot it will not see any bootable
> CD. I don't have the restore CD.
>
> The reason for reinstalling is because the operating system won't boot
> up. It hangs. It will boot up to the boot diskettes. After running the
> win2000 boot diskettes I choose "R' for repair but I get, "cannot find
> hard drive." I'm trying to get to a command prompt so I can copy the
> disks to the hard drive but not sure how to get into the command
> prompt. What are some other ideas I can try? Thanks.

Your hard drive is dead. Although you can try reseating it. My money's
on dead. Your CDROM probably died some time ago, or your CD media is
damaged/dirty. You can try cleaning the lens of the CD drive with
alcohol and a cotton swab. It's old enough, the leans may just be
dirty.

Your laptop is 8-11 years old. Drives fail.

paulmd@efn.org

      6th Nov 2006

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > My Compaq Laptop with a one bay floppydrive/cdrom, one day, will not
> > boot up to windows 2000 Pro. It will not boot up to the install CD when
> > trying to reinstall window 2000. The laptop was originally Windows 95,
> > then later upgraded to 98 and now 2000. Even after I set the BOIS to
> > allow the CD-ROM to be the first to boot it will not see any bootable
> > CD. I don't have the restore CD.
> >
> > The reason for reinstalling is because the operating system won't boot
> > up. It hangs. It will boot up to the boot diskettes. After running the
> > win2000 boot diskettes I choose "R' for repair but I get, "cannot find
> > hard drive." I'm trying to get to a command prompt so I can copy the
> > disks to the hard drive but not sure how to get into the command
> > prompt. What are some other ideas I can try? Thanks.

> Your hard drive is dead. Although you can try reseating it. My money's
> on dead. Your CDROM probably died some time ago, or your CD media is
> damaged/dirty. You can try cleaning the lens of the CD drive with
> alcohol and a cotton swab. It's old enough, the leans may just be
> dirty.
>
> Your laptop is 8-11 years old. Drives fail.

Forgot to mention, the OTHER thing that dies on these is CMOS
batteries, and it forgets settings, like time, and boot order, and all
kinds of fun stuff, once disconnected from main power.

Gary Chanson

      6th Nov 2006

> "Gary Chanson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Additionally, it may be that you simply don't have a bootable CD in
> > the
> > drive. The Windows 2000 Setup disk should be bootable but your disk
> > might
> > be damaged.
> >
> > You should be able to boot into DOS from either a floppy or CD.
> >
> > --
> >
> > - Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
> > - Abolish Public Schools
> >

> re - your signature ... in my town they want to "renovate" all 5
> schools - cost = 285 million friggin dollars. Movin on out.

Well, they're just looking out for the welfare of ...

the contractors.

--

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Your hard drive is dead. Although you can try reseating it. My money's
> on dead. Your CDROM probably died some time ago, or your CD media is
> damaged/dirty. You can try cleaning the lens of the CD drive with
> alcohol and a cotton swab. It's old enough, the leans may just be
> dirty.
>
> Your laptop is 8-11 years old. Drives fail.

The hard drive is old and failing but I would want to try revive it. It
has worked for many years until it was upgraded to windows 2000 Pro
then only a few days later it will boot up halfway into windows and
then hangs.

I have a startup disk for windows 98 and boot disk for windows 2000 and
both have failed to open into the command prompt. I've have had
windows 2000 hang like this before on a brand new hard drive and it
turns out the solution is to load the startup disk and run chkdsk. How
do I run chkdsk?

Thanks

John John

      6th Nov 2006
Gary Chanson wrote:
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"Gary Chanson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> Additionally, it may be that you simply don't have a bootable CD in
>>>the
>>>drive. The Windows 2000 Setup disk should be bootable but your disk
>>>might
>>>be damaged.
>>>
>>> You should be able to boot into DOS from either a floppy or CD.
>>>
>>>--
>>>
>>>- Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
>>>- Abolish Public Schools
>>>

>>re - your signature ... in my town they want to "renovate" all 5
>>schools - cost = 285 million friggin dollars. Movin on out.

> Well, they're just looking out for the welfare of ...

> the contractors.
>
> --
>
> - Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
> - Abolish Public Schools

Whose welfare are private schools looking out for?

John