Compacting a file

=?Utf-8?B?S2F5YWtnaXJs?=

      20th Nov 2006
Is there a way to make a very large file (107 MB--I didn't create it)
smaller. The file was created from very large pivot tables from a file that
also contained macros. We searched to delete any residual macros as the files
asks to enable macros--but there are not any in the workbook. We also tried
to delete any VBA, but again found nothing. Not sure what is making it 107
MB. Would like something to id what is making so large and how to get rid of
that. Is there such a thing and how do I use???

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBG?=

      20th Nov 2006
One possibility: hit CTRL+END and see where XL takes you. Delete everything
to the right and below (which will be empty as far as you know--XL is stupid
this way). Save, close the document, then re-open. Is the file smaller?

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Kayakgirl" wrote:

> Is there a way to make a very large file (107 MB--I didn't create it)
> smaller. The file was created from very large pivot tables from a file that
> also contained macros. We searched to delete any residual macros as the files
> asks to enable macros--but there are not any in the workbook. We also tried
> to delete any VBA, but again found nothing. Not sure what is making it 107
> MB. Would like something to id what is making so large and how to get rid of
> that. Is there such a thing and how do I use???

Nick Hodge

      20th Nov 2006
Not a compacting tool, but I suspect the data is being cached. You can loose
this by looking at the pivot table properties/options and unchecking store
data with table

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)HIS
www.nickhodge.co.uk

"Kayakgirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way to make a very large file (107 MB--I didn't create it)
> smaller. The file was created from very large pivot tables from a file
> that
> also contained macros. We searched to delete any residual macros as the
> files
> asks to enable macros--but there are not any in the workbook. We also
> tried
> to delete any VBA, but again found nothing. Not sure what is making it 107
> MB. Would like something to id what is making so large and how to get rid
> of
> that. Is there such a thing and how do I use???

=?Utf-8?B?S2F5YWtnaXJs?=

      20th Nov 2006
Thanks Dave. Did this and it dropped me from 107 MB to 94 MB. WAs a good
start, but definitely still something odd.