How come advanced DLGDiag test passed and S.M.A.R.T. failed

chermesh

      16th Nov 2009
Hi,
I ran DLGDiag on my internal WD2500JB hd. The result aren't learcut.
My disk failed SMART but passed Advanced tests.
What does it mean? Should I keep the hd or get rid of it?
If keep, can anything be done about the failong smart test?

Ran

Rod Speed

      17th Nov 2009
chermesh wrote

> I ran DLGDiag on my internal WD2500JB hd. The result aren't learcut.
> My disk failed SMART but passed Advanced tests.
> What does it mean?

That its a poor diagnostic.

> Should I keep the hd or get rid of it?

Depends on the detail of the SMART report.

Post the Everest SMART report for the drive.

> If keep, can anything be done about the failong smart test?

Depends on the results of the Everest SMART report.

Arno

      17th Nov 2009
chermesh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
> I ran DLGDiag on my internal WD2500JB hd. The result aren't learcut.
> My disk failed SMART but passed Advanced tests.

That can happen sometimes. SMART predicts that your disk will be
dying in the near future, but the advanced test checks the
surface and tries to find out whether it already is partially
dead. It is possible that SMART has reasons to believe death is
imminent, but some predicted modes of dying will not result
in failures before.

> What does it mean? Should I keep the hd or get rid of it?
> If keep, can anything be done about the failong smart test?

If you have a failed SMART status, the disk is toast, unless
you have a really severe issue with the PSU, heat or vibration,
which can cause disk problems when the disk is actiually fine.

In any case, expect imminent disk death with loss of all data,
i.e. back up now.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: (E-Mail Removed)
----

New Member

      17th Nov 2009
The drive's SMART report indicates "Spin-Up time" problems. The DLGDiag information says:

ID - 3, Value - 192, Treshold - 21.

All other test are OK.

The Everest SMART report states "OK. This value is normal"