combining tables

jlute@marzetti.com

      26th Aug 2008
I need to normalize by moving a field from one table to another. How
can I update the field after I move it? For example, I'm moving
[Field1] from tblOld to tblNew. Both of these tables have the primary
key [ID] and contain records.

Thanks for your help!

Michel Walsh

      26th Aug 2008
UPDATE tblNew INNER JOIN tblOld ON tblNew.id = tlbOld.id
SET tblNew.field1= tblOld.field1

as example. I assumed tblNew.id = tblOld.id indicates the relation which
allows to find the tblOld.field1 value which will be used to update
tblNew.field1, given tblNew.id

Vanderghast, Access MVP

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need to normalize by moving a field from one table to another. How
> can I update the field after I move it? For example, I'm moving
> [Field1] from tblOld to tblNew. Both of these tables have the primary
> key [ID] and contain records.
>
> Thanks for your help!

jlute@marzetti.com

      26th Aug 2008
Thanks, Michel! Your assumptions were correct. You make everything
look easy! I just couldn't figure it out. In any case here's my actual
info (I always try to simplify my questions with dummy names, etc.).

UPDATE tblProfiles INNER JOIN tblFGAttributes ON
tblProfiles.txtProfileID = tblFGAttributes.txtProfileID
SET tblProfiles.Status = tblFGAttributes.Status

On Aug 26, 8:17*am, "Michel Walsh"
<vanderghast@VirusAreFunnierThanSpam> wrote:
> UPDATE tblNew INNER JOIN tblOld ON tblNew.id = tlbOld.id
> SET tblNew.field1= tblOld.field1
>
> as example. I assumed tblNew.id = tblOld.id indicates the relation which
> allows to find the tblOld.field1 value which will be used to update
> tblNew.field1, given tblNew.id
>
> Vanderghast, Access MVP
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> >I need to normalize by moving a field from one table to another. How
> > can I update the field after I move it? For example, I'm moving
> > [Field1] from tblOld to tblNew. Both of these tables have the primary
> > key [ID] and contain records.

> > Thanks for your help!- Hide quoted text -

Dale Fye

      26th Aug 2008
Are you normallizing, or just splitting the table into multiple one-to-one
tables?

If you were truly normalizing, I would think your second table would not
have the ID field from the first table, because the point of normalizing is
getting rid of extraneous data.

--
Dale

email address is invalid
Please reply to newsgroup only.

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> I need to normalize by moving a field from one table to another. How
> can I update the field after I move it? For example, I'm moving
> [Field1] from tblOld to tblNew. Both of these tables have the primary
> key [ID] and contain records.
>
> Thanks for your help!

jlute@marzetti.com

      26th Aug 2008
Hi, Dale.

Truly normalizing. I'm moving [Status] from tblFGAttributes to
tblProfiles so that I can eliminate tblFGAttributes which served the
purpose of being a "junction" table. No need for it now that I've
radically normalized the entire structure.