cmd.exe always running at startup

=?Utf-8?B?RWR1YXJkb19CYXJpbGxhcw==?=

      10th Oct 2004
Hi everybody, here's a detailed description of my problem:

From last week until now, every time I boot up windows, a little DOS prompt
appears (when the desktop shows) saying that the cmd.exe is getting
reinstalled. That prompt dissappears and a new one appears where nothing
happens. The header on the window only shows the path of the cmd.exe, while
the window itslef is blank. If I remember correctly, it is the default path:
"c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe". Meanwhile, the hard disk is processing,
finishing the loading of other things, like norton 2002 and the ati taskbar
icon. I don't think that's the problem, however, because that has been my
normal startup for a long time and the window had never appeared. I have not
made any software changes since about a month ago, so I don't think it's that
either. In fact, the window started showing up just after I installed a
microsoft sidewinder gamepad (6 button, USB), which I just plugged in and let
Windows load a default driver for it. I have not installed any hardware apart
from that one. My computer has not behaved in any weird way, and I checked
with norton and panda for viral activity, and both report that there is none.
I removed the gamepad from my devices but still the problem persists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wesley Vogel

      10th Oct 2004
Start | Run | Type: msconfig | OK |
Startup tab

Do you see anything related to cmd.exe?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Eduardo_Barillas <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and
pecked:
> Hi everybody, here's a detailed description of my problem:
>
> From last week until now, every time I boot up windows, a little DOS
> prompt appears (when the desktop shows) saying that the cmd.exe is
> getting reinstalled. That prompt dissappears and a new one appears
> where nothing happens. The header on the window only shows the path
> of the cmd.exe, while the window itslef is blank. If I remember
> correctly, it is the default path: "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe".
> Meanwhile, the hard disk is processing, finishing the loading of
> other things, like norton 2002 and the ati taskbar icon. I don't
> think that's the problem, however, because that has been my normal
> startup for a long time and the window had never appeared. I have not
> made any software changes since about a month ago, so I don't think
> it's that either. In fact, the window started showing up just after I
> installed a microsoft sidewinder gamepad (6 button, USB), which I
> just plugged in and let Windows load a default driver for it. I have
> not installed any hardware apart from that one. My computer has not
> behaved in any weird way, and I checked with norton and panda for
> viral activity, and both report that there is none. I removed the
> gamepad from my devices but still the problem persists.

=?Utf-8?B?RWR1YXJkb19CYXJpbGxhcw==?=

      12th Oct 2004
Yeah, I forgot to say that I had already checked in msconfig, and there is
nothing related to the process. In fact, the process stops after Windows has
completely loaded. I saw the Task Manager, and while windows is loading
indeed that little window appears as a running application, but it ends along
with the end of the startup. Also, I don't think it has anything to do with
online stuff because this happens to me while I am offline, too.

I am absolutely sure that it happened right after I installed the sidewinder
gamepad, since that is the only change that I have donde to the pc's software
and hardware configuration in the last couple of months. I was offline at the
time of the installation. However, it is really weird that a simple usb game
pad would cause such behaviour, so I'm really perplexed about all of this.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Start | Run | Type: msconfig | OK |
> Startup tab
>
> Do you see anything related to cmd.exe?
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Eduardo_Barillas <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and
> pecked:
> > Hi everybody, here's a detailed description of my problem:
> >
> > From last week until now, every time I boot up windows, a little DOS
> > prompt appears (when the desktop shows) saying that the cmd.exe is
> > getting reinstalled. That prompt dissappears and a new one appears
> > where nothing happens. The header on the window only shows the path
> > of the cmd.exe, while the window itslef is blank. If I remember
> > correctly, it is the default path: "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe".
> > Meanwhile, the hard disk is processing, finishing the loading of
> > other things, like norton 2002 and the ati taskbar icon. I don't
> > think that's the problem, however, because that has been my normal
> > startup for a long time and the window had never appeared. I have not
> > made any software changes since about a month ago, so I don't think
> > it's that either. In fact, the window started showing up just after I
> > installed a microsoft sidewinder gamepad (6 button, USB), which I
> > just plugged in and let Windows load a default driver for it. I have
> > not installed any hardware apart from that one. My computer has not
> > behaved in any weird way, and I checked with norton and panda for
> > viral activity, and both report that there is none. I removed the
> > gamepad from my devices but still the problem persists.

Taurarian Constellation

      13th Oct 2004
Just a thought, may not be related though

Remove remnants of KWBot.Worm from the Registry and File System
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_d...lean_kwbot.htm
This VB Script will the common Registry entries and files created by the KWBot.Worm.
This worm causes an error message that "CMD32.EXE" cannot be found on startup. The
error message may also be that "system32.exe" cannot be found.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Michael Hernandez

      13th Oct 2004
I too am experiencing this problem.