How to clone outlook express configuration one XP machine to another

brassplyer

      4th Jan 2010
Ah, nevermind, the username has to match the folder it's in. Now it's
working.

I really appreciate the assistance.

brassplyer

      5th Jan 2010
The only thing I'm finding it's not doing the same as it was on the
old machine is that when I invoke OE, instead of opening the Main
Identity by default, it opens whichever identity I was last in.

Bruce Hagen

      5th Jan 2010
"brassplyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The only thing I'm finding it's not doing the same as it was on the
> old machine is that when I invoke OE, instead of opening the Main
> Identity by default, it opens whichever identity I was last in.

See if this is what you need.

Force Identity Logon:
http://www.insideoe.com/tips/forceid.htm
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

Tim Meddick

      5th Jan 2010
Well done for getting that far with it!

About the WAB file -
The [.wab] file for a profile is stored in :

c:\documents and settings\%USERNAME%\application data\microsoft\address book\

...under the name : %username%.wab

All you have to do is retrieve this file and place it somewhere obvious.

Then, in Outlook Express choose "File" > "Import" > "Address Book"

After clicking on this you are faced with a browser to search for a [.wab] file to
import.

Just browse to your "obviously" placed [.wab] file and click on the [Open] button.

All contacts in the [.wab] file should then be visible in the current identity you
imported it in.

The other way is to exit OE, replace the current wab file for a given identity with
the older one (changing the wab filename to that of the new identities') and then
restarting OE.

This is a far more complicated way of going about it and there's very few reasons I
can think of for doing it the "long way round".

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

On Jan 3, 2:21 pm, "Tim Meddick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> *NB - In my previous post, I assumed your slave drive was drive [D:] but
> [obviously]
> if it not - then you need to change the drive-letter accordingly.
>
> *Plus - I also assumed that all you have is the old drive and that you no longer
> have
> access to the old copy of WinXP that was upon it.

Didn't have access to it as an O/S, though the files are on the disk.

I went through the procedure, and other than a snag when it left
duplicate "Main identities" it worked, however I seem to be not be
having success with the old address book. I copied the old .wab file
to where the current one is, but OE isn't picking up on it.

I fixed the duplicate main identity problem mention above by erasing
the newer one in the registry and the identities folder and OE then
recognized the contest of the remaining one.