"Click to add" column in Access 2010

Tammy

      20th May 2010
Hi,
In Access 2007 you are able to right-click on the "Click to add" column in
Datasheet view of a table and hide it so that it's removed from view. Cannot
find where I can do that in Access 2010... Are we stuck with that annoying
extra column remaining in the view? My users will be using a form to enter
data, so it's not that big of an issue, but I'd like to hide it if possible.

If anyone knows a way to hide/remove it, please pass the info along.
Thanks!!

Jeff Boyce

      20th May 2010
Tammy

If I recall correctly, that only shows when you/your users are working
directly in the tables.

In Access, tables store data, while Forms display data. I'd stick with the
forms...

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"Tammy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> In Access 2007 you are able to right-click on the "Click to add" column in
> Datasheet view of a table and hide it so that it's removed from view.
> Cannot
> find where I can do that in Access 2010... Are we stuck with that annoying
> extra column remaining in the view? My users will be using a form to
> enter
> data, so it's not that big of an issue, but I'd like to hide it if
> possible.
>
> If anyone knows a way to hide/remove it, please pass the info along.
> Thanks!!

Tammy

      3rd Jun 2010
Hi Jeff,

Sorry - didn't get notified of your response.

Yes, it does only show in the tables, and we would only use a form for
displaying and entering data. I was just wondering if you could hide that
column in 2010, as in 2007. No biggie, we'll just ignore it now.

Thanks!

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> Tammy
>
> If I recall correctly, that only shows when you/your users are working
> directly in the tables.
>
> In Access, tables store data, while Forms display data. I'd stick with the
> forms...
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Access MVP
>
> --
> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> does not constitute endorsement thereof.

> guarantee as to suitability.

> possible/necessary.
>
> "Tammy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > In Access 2007 you are able to right-click on the "Click to add" column in
> > Datasheet view of a table and hide it so that it's removed from view.
> > Cannot
> > find where I can do that in Access 2010... Are we stuck with that annoying
> > extra column remaining in the view? My users will be using a form to
> > enter
> > data, so it's not that big of an issue, but I'd like to hide it if
> > possible.
> >
> > If anyone knows a way to hide/remove it, please pass the info along.
> > Thanks!!

> .

New Member

      26th Apr 2012
Very disappointed by Jeff Boyce's answer. It's up to the user how they use an app.

Tammy, don't feel as though you should apologise to such an arrogant fool.

File - Options - Current Database and uncheck Enable design changes in Datasheet view. Close and re-open the db and it's gone.

Nick
Not an MVP

New Member

      18th May 2012
Nick,
Thank you for your response to Tammy! This is my first post here, it came up top in Google when I was looking for an answer to this annoying quirk.

I saw Jeff's response and thought 'how preachy and arrogant', and he didn't even answer the question.
Thanks for covering it,
--Jim

New Member

      18th Jun 2013
Nick
Thank you for answering Tammy's question

Like Jim, I find this quirk annoying and someone has taken the time to answer the question.

Another method is
run this code
CurrentDb.Properties("AllowDatasheetSchema") = False
You will still need close and open though.

Last edited by maxamillion; 18th Jun 2013 at 03:23 AM.. Reason: additional info

New Member

      10th Sep 2014
(old post I know, but relevant)

Thank you Nick. Not only for standing up and saying something but also for answering my own question - I was trying to turn it off and didn't realise I needed to reboot the database.

New Member
philhaney's Avatar

      2 Days Ago
Hi Tammy,

I recently made the jump from Access 2003 to Access 2013. However, most of the time when I search the internet for help on 2013, I get help for 2010, so this may apply to you. If it doesn't, please forgive me.

To hide that pesky column [in Access 2013], right click on the heading of any column in Datasheet View and select "Unhide Fields" (this is not intuitive). Then uncheck the box next to "Click to Add." Click "Close" and you're done...

-Phil

"Quini, quidi, quici" - I came, I saw, I played a little quidditch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
Hi,
In Access 2007 you are able to right-click on the "Click to add" column in
Datasheet view of a table and hide it so that it's removed from view. Cannot
find where I can do that in Access 2010... Are we stuck with that annoying
extra column remaining in the view? My users will be using a form to enter
data, so it's not that big of an issue, but I'd like to hide it if possible.

If anyone knows a way to hide/remove it, please pass the info along.
Thanks!!

« mdb repair | - »