Cleaning up my hard drive

Chris

      15th Jul 2009
I have run defrag and disk clean up.
I am close to maxing out my hard drive - shows free space of 5 MB.

So, I am deleting old files. Am archiving old pictures on a separate hard
drive.

In deleting files, I ran a search of all files and folders on my computer
and thought I would start deleting the largest files that I don't need first.

The list shows up and some files are highlighted in blue. What does that
mean.
Also, I noticed some files that appear to be old versions of installs for
example, quicktime. Is it safe to delete these older versions?

Any other ideas on how to free a large amount of space?
Thanks,
Chris

JS

      15th Jul 2009

The files shown in Blue are infrequently accessed files and Windows
have compressed them to save space.

Take a look at CCleaner as a tool to remove Internet history info,
cookies, temp files, auto complete and other junk.
Note that when CCleaner is first installed most if not all the options
are checked which is far too aggressive. So I recommend unchecking
all the items listed in 'Applications' tab and in the 'Windows' tab
selectively place a check mark for only those options that are of some
value in increasing the amount of free space on your PC.
The 'Analyze' button allows you preview (without actually deleting)
what and how much hard drive space you will get back.
Also available is customization, see Options/Custom to add any
other/additional folders you want files deleted from.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Next: Empty the Recycle Bin.

If you recently installed Windows XP Service Pack 3:
Look for an odd folder name which is located here
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\cf8ec753e88561d..........\
Note: the apparent random set of letter and number may vary from my
example above but whatever the name is, it will be more than
600MB in size and can be safely deleted.
You may also see a number of other folders or files located in the:
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ directory
They also can be deleted.

You can also free up more disk space by reducing
the number of 'System Restore' points:
Select Start/Control Panel/System, then in the System Properties window
click on the System Restore tab.
Next select the drive letter where Windows is installed (usually C,
Then click on the Setting button
Now in the Drive Settings window move the Disk space usage slider to the
left to reduce the amount of drive space System Restore points will use.
This will remove some of the older restore points and free up some space.

Disable Hibernation and delete hiberfil.sys file (If you have it enabled):
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/1...-xp-and-vista/
and:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...hibernate.mspx
and: http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/hiberfil-sys-xp.html

If you are using IE7 and then installed SP3 read the info below.
IE7 users will find the folders listed below on their hard drive:
$NtServicePackUninstallIDNMitigationAPIs$
$NtServicePackUninstallNLSDownlevelMapping$
They are needed to uninstall IE7. However, if you installed IE7 and
then installed XP SP3 you can no longer uninstall IE7 and these
folders can also be deleted.

Note: The recommended procedure before installing XP SP3 is to
uninstall IE7 or IE8, then install XP SP3. Now you still have the ability to
install and uninstall IE7 or IE8.

Next if you still need more space:
Remove the files used to uninstall updates to Windows
These folders and associated files in these folders are safe to remove,
however once deleted you will no longer be able to un-install a patch or
update that was associated with the deleted folder/files.
I would keep the most recent set (last two months just in case) of folders
and delete the older updates.
As a safety net I burned these folders to a CD before deleting them.
These files are located in the Windows folder and have folder names
like $NtUninstallKBXXXXXX$.
They are hidden folders so enable viewing of hidden files in Windows
Explorer.
Warning: One folder you should not delete is: $hf_mig$
Also See the following web pages on this issue:
http://www.pagestart.com/ntuninstall.html
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm

If you upgraded your PC from Windows 98 to Windows XP.
The $Win98UpdateUninstall$ can be deleted.

You can reduce the size of the Internet Explorer Disk Cache:
How and Why to Clear Your Cache:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...learcache.mspx
Just follow the instructions but instead of increasing the size
(as stated in the article) decrease it.

Can I move or delete my C:\I386 directory to free up some space?
See:
http://ask-leo.com/can_i_move_or_del...ome_space.html
Note: C:\i386 is not to be confused with the
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder which should not
be moved or deleted as Windows File Protection needs those files

Finally: Check the Recycle Bin one more time and empty it
if necessary as some of those files you deleted in the steps
mentioned above may find there way into the recycle bin.

If you have more than one partition or drive then:
How to Change the Default Location of Mail and News Folders:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307971/en-us

Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
(Example: move it to the D drive)
See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147
Also:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/how_..._documents.htm

How to move the Spool folder in Windows XP

MS Office: Move the Local Install Source (MSOCache) location
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825933
(See the section titled: Move LIS Cache folder to a new drive location)
Note: If your computer already had more than one hard drive or partition
when you installed MS Office, Office will place the MSOCache on the drive or
partition with the most available free space during the install process.

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

>I have run defrag and disk clean up.
> I am close to maxing out my hard drive - shows free space of 5 MB.
>
> So, I am deleting old files. Am archiving old pictures on a separate hard
> drive.
>
> In deleting files, I ran a search of all files and folders on my computer
> and thought I would start deleting the largest files that I don't need
> first.
>
> The list shows up and some files are highlighted in blue. What does that
> mean.
> Also, I noticed some files that appear to be old versions of installs for
> example, quicktime. Is it safe to delete these older versions?
>
> Any other ideas on how to free a large amount of space?
> Thanks,
> Chris

B Brannigan

      22nd Jul 2009

JS,

I've followed these instructions - very useful, thank you.

What about the directory Downloaded Installations, which has 10+ folders
like {OA797BC1-A9CC-4189-AC9D-4CF36C43F957}, about 5 of which are related to
itunes. Can I delete all \ some of them?

Thanks
--
B Brannigan

"JS" wrote:

> [...]
> JS
> http://www.pagestart.com
>

> "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have run defrag and disk clean up.
> > I am close to maxing out my hard drive - shows free space of 5 MB.
> >
> > So, I am deleting old files. Am archiving old pictures on a separate hard
> > drive.
> >
> > In deleting files, I ran a search of all files and folders on my computer
> > and thought I would start deleting the largest files that I don't need
> > first.
> >
> > The list shows up and some files are highlighted in blue. What does that
> > mean.
> > Also, I noticed some files that appear to be old versions of installs for
> > example, quicktime. Is it safe to delete these older versions?
> >
> > Any other ideas on how to free a large amount of space?

JS

      22nd Jul 2009
You're welcome.

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"B Brannigan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have run defrag and disk clean up.
>> > I am close to maxing out my hard drive - shows free space of 5 MB.
>> >
>> > So, I am deleting old files. Am archiving old pictures on a separate
>> > hard
>> > drive.
>> >
>> > In deleting files, I ran a search of all files and folders on my
>> > computer
>> > and thought I would start deleting the largest files that I don't need
>> > first.
>> >
>> > The list shows up and some files are highlighted in blue. What does
>> > that
>> > mean.
>> > Also, I noticed some files that appear to be old versions of installs
>> > for
>> > example, quicktime. Is it safe to delete these older versions?
>> >
>> > Any other ideas on how to free a large amount of space?

B Brannigan

      22nd Jul 2009

"JS" wrote:

> [...]
> >> (Example: move it to the D drive)
> >> See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147
> >> Also:
> >> http://www.techsupportalert.com/how_..._documents.htm
> >>
> >> How to move the Spool folder in Windows XP
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q308666
> >>
> >> MS Office: Move the Local Install Source (MSOCache) location
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825933
> >> (See the section titled: Move LIS Cache folder to a new drive location)
> >> Note: If your computer already had more than one hard drive or partition
> >> when you installed MS Office, Office will place the MSOCache on the drive
> >> or
> >> partition with the most available free space during the install process.
> >>
> >> --
> >> JS
> >> http://www.pagestart.com
> >>

> >> "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

JS

      22nd Jul 2009
Can you post the full path as to where these files
are located so we are both on the same page.