Clean system and reboot, reboot, reboot etc.........

James

      21st Aug 2005
I cleaned my system of some spyware and had to reboot my
system to finish cleaning out the spyware. Then my
computer kept rebooting constanly. If anyone has this
problem here is the solution to fix it.

1: Find your windows install disk and let it go through
the install part.
2: after it gets to the startup procedure and it gives
you the option to install a clean version of windows.
Don't do that. Instead go to the fix option (Windows XP
Version).
3: it will bring up a DOS window and fixes the windows
index files.
4: Type help after the C:\Windows\ prompt
5: and type fixboot
For some reason the boot sector gets messed up and goes
to rebooting constanly I don't know if this is an issues
with the spyware software or the spyware itself but this
will fix it.

Bill Sanderson

      22nd Aug 2005
Thanks for the post James, and nice work at getting out of that fix.

I'm quite sure this side effect relates to the spyware itself--but it might
be worth letting Microsoft know what happened.

There's a log file of cleaning actions--cleaner.log--in the installation
folder, typically c:\program files\microsoft antispyware.

You might see whether you can cut and paste the most recent set of actions
from that file into a tools, suspected spyware report--and describe what
happened to you.

I'm not sure you'll be able to submit the report--some users are not, due to
a bug in the beta1 program.

Those folks, or others, might be interested in what such a report looks like
at the other end--here's a real-world example:

https://www.spynet.com/spywarescan_r...4-56a9cc5026e0

I don't recommend posting these, really--there's a fair chance there's
personal information in there--but I've looked at mine before and not found
anything I was too dismayed at posting for the world.

news:001d01c5a65a$cfe2c560$(E-Mail Removed)...