clean install in progress...

=?Utf-8?B?VG9kZCBNYXJrcw==?=

      22nd Apr 2007
At least it was when I left for work anyway. I ditched my downloaded upgrade
version of Vista Home Premium in favor of a retail DVD. I tried just the
upgrade 3 times today, and every time it failed on the 1st attempt to restart
stating "Windows could not configure 1 or more components". I removed every
possible conflict that both the Windows upgrade advisor and Dell's Vista
readiness advisor found, updated my BIOS, and also removed every piece of
hardware minus my video card (ATI radeon x600), DVD & CD/RW drives, hard
drive (SATA), mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Finally I bit the bullet and
reformatted my hard drive and began a clean install. The only issue I saw
before I left was that it was taking an awful long time to expand the files.
I think it took probably about 1 1/2 to 2 hours just to get to 24%, but the
hard drive was still showing activity and still progressing. I left it
running when I left, so with a little luck I will see the Welcome Screen when
I get home in the morning. If you don't see a post from me by then, you'll
know the damn thing failed again. Kep you posted...

Todd

Rick Rogers

      22nd Apr 2007
Hi Todd,

In addition, I've seen an number of installations fail due to a dirty disk.
Make sure the DVD is smooth and clean.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/