CHKDSK runs every time I boot!

jaze

      6th Sep 2003
EVERY time I boot my PC, CHKDSK needs to run for drive E. I let it.
whether I reboot immediately or later, CHKDSK runs again. I've tried
Norton Disk Doctor also, to no avail.
Naturally, I can't defrag drive E due to the impending CHKDSK. I tried
to clone (image) the partitions onto another drive so I could reformat
drive 1, but I can't start the copy due to the need to run CHKDSK.

Drive 0 = 18.2GB U160 HDD (C) - FAT32
Drive 1 = ATA/100 20GB partition 1 (D). 91GB partition 2 (E) - NTFS

Windows XP Pro, 2.6GHz, 1GB, MX440 64MB, ASUS P4 MoBo, UltraPlex Wide
UW CD-ROM, external USB 2.0 CD/RW, wireless keyboard/mouse, scanner,
printer, yada, yada, yada.
NAV 2003 Pro, Ad-Aware Pro 6.0.181, PestPatrol Corporate v4.2.0.53,
Diskeeper v8.0.459 Pro, Zone Alarm v4.0.146.029

Any legitimate suggestions? How about an MS KB article addressing this
issue?

-Jaze

Malvern

      6th Sep 2003

"jaze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> EVERY time I boot my PC, CHKDSK needs to run for drive E. I let it.
> whether I reboot immediately or later, CHKDSK runs again. I've tried
> Norton Disk Doctor also, to no avail.
> Naturally, I can't defrag drive E due to the impending CHKDSK. I tried
> to clone (image) the partitions onto another drive so I could reformat
> drive 1, but I can't start the copy due to the need to run CHKDSK.

<snip>
From another message reply on a different problem...
Start>Run> type in "msconfig" (no quotation marks). In dialog box, select
Startup tab. If Chkdisk is in the list, uncheck it.

Malv

Knoj

      6th Sep 2003
jaze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> EVERY time I boot my PC, CHKDSK needs to run for drive E. I let it.
> whether I reboot immediately or later, CHKDSK runs again. I've tried
> Norton Disk Doctor also, to no avail.
> Naturally, I can't defrag drive E due to the impending CHKDSK. I tried
> to clone (image) the partitions onto another drive so I could reformat
> drive 1, but I can't start the copy due to the need to run CHKDSK.
>
> Drive 0 = 18.2GB U160 HDD (C) - FAT32
> Drive 1 = ATA/100 20GB partition 1 (D). 91GB partition 2 (E) - NTFS
>
> Windows XP Pro, 2.6GHz, 1GB, MX440 64MB, ASUS P4 MoBo, UltraPlex Wide
> UW CD-ROM, external USB 2.0 CD/RW, wireless keyboard/mouse, scanner,
> printer, yada, yada, yada.
> NAV 2003 Pro, Ad-Aware Pro 6.0.181, PestPatrol Corporate v4.2.0.53,
> Diskeeper v8.0.459 Pro, Zone Alarm v4.0.146.029
>
> Any legitimate suggestions? How about an MS KB article addressing this
> issue?
>
> -Jaze

I was having this problem until today. I used this simple fix. It might
help you.

1. click on your start menu and open the run dialog.
2. type "cmd" and return (note: dont enter quotes)
3. Next type "fsutil dirty query e:"
4. If the return message indicates that the volume is dirty go to step 5
5. Next type "chkdsk e: /f /x"
6. After that finshes repeat step 3.
7. If it is no longer dirty then reboot and you should notice no more
ckdisk.

If this process doesn't work check out Kelly's site, listed by a
previous response earlier today.

New Member

      20th Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoj
I was having this problem until today. I used this simple fix. It might
help you.

1. click on your start menu and open the run dialog.
2. type "cmd" and return (note: dont enter quotes)
3. Next type "fsutil dirty query e:"
4. If the return message indicates that the volume is dirty go to step 5
5. Next type "chkdsk e: /f /x"
6. After that finshes repeat step 3.
7. If it is no longer dirty then reboot and you should notice no more
ckdisk.

If this process doesn't work check out Kelly's site, listed by a
previous response earlier today.
Thanks for this fix! The problem came up last night when one of my drives failed. For some reason my other drive was marked as dirty. I ran the full chkdsk on boot which ran twice but the drive was still marked dirty.

I disabled the virtual memory on the dirty drive (my secondary disk, if it's your C: drive you should move the virtual memory to another drive.) which then allowed me to run the "chkdsk x: /f /x" command from cmd prompt within XP. FIXED!

New Member

      29th Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoj
jaze wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> EVERY time I boot my PC, CHKDSK needs to run for drive E. I let it.
> whether I reboot immediately or later, CHKDSK runs again. I've tried
> Norton Disk Doctor also, to no avail.
> Naturally, I can't defrag drive E due to the impending CHKDSK. I tried
> to clone (image) the partitions onto another drive so I could reformat
> drive 1, but I can't start the copy due to the need to run CHKDSK.
> -Jaze

I was having this problem until today. I used this simple fix. It might
help you.

1. click on your start menu and open the run dialog.
2. type "cmd" and return (note: dont enter quotes)
3. Next type "fsutil dirty query e:"
4. If the return message indicates that the volume is dirty go to step 5
5. Next type "chkdsk e: /f /x"
6. After that finshes repeat step 3.
7. If it is no longer dirty then reboot and you should notice no more
ckdisk.

If this process doesn't work check out Kelly's site, listed by a
previous response earlier today.
THANKS!!!!

I've been working on this exact same problem with my F: Drive for WEEKS!
It worked the VERY FIRST TIME!
AWESOME, Dudes!

--Geoff

New Member

      21st Jul 2006
i've had the same problem for months. i decided to try and fix it tonight. it took me all of 30 seconds to do. thanx guys... i can get wasted tonoght instead !

New Member

      9th Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoj
jaze wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> EVERY time I boot my PC, CHKDSK needs to run for drive E. I let it.
> whether I reboot immediately or later, CHKDSK runs again. I've tried
> Norton Disk Doctor also, to no avail.
> Naturally, I can't defrag drive E due to the impending CHKDSK. I tried
> to clone (image) the partitions onto another drive so I could reformat
> drive 1, but I can't start the copy due to the need to run CHKDSK.
>
> Drive 0 = 18.2GB U160 HDD (C) - FAT32
> Drive 1 = ATA/100 20GB partition 1 (D). 91GB partition 2 (E) - NTFS
>
> Windows XP Pro, 2.6GHz, 1GB, MX440 64MB, ASUS P4 MoBo, UltraPlex Wide
> UW CD-ROM, external USB 2.0 CD/RW, wireless keyboard/mouse, scanner,
> printer, yada, yada, yada.
> NAV 2003 Pro, Ad-Aware Pro 6.0.181, PestPatrol Corporate v4.2.0.53,
> Diskeeper v8.0.459 Pro, Zone Alarm v4.0.146.029
>
> Any legitimate suggestions? How about an MS KB article addressing this
> issue?
>
> -Jaze

I was having this problem until today. I used this simple fix. It might
help you.

1. click on your start menu and open the run dialog.
2. type "cmd" and return (note: dont enter quotes)
3. Next type "fsutil dirty query e:"
4. If the return message indicates that the volume is dirty go to step 5
5. Next type "chkdsk e: /f /x"
6. After that finshes repeat step 3.
7. If it is no longer dirty then reboot and you should notice no more
ckdisk.

If this process doesn't work check out Kelly's site, listed by a
previous response earlier today.

W O W ! ! !

Thanks a lot folks.

I had exactly the same problem annoying me for a while. All my tries had only been waste of time, even the chkdsk /f /x was having no effect at all.

Then, further down I found 49ersnews' post mentioning about disabling virtual memory. One of my " dirty drives" (from a multi-partitioned drive) was exactly the one allocated exclusively as paging file. I disabled the virtual memory and ....

VOILA' ... BINGO !!!! I was able to run chkdsk from DOS prompt within XP and fix both stubborn "dirty drives". It's now all back to normal life... WONDERFUL.

Once again. thanks a lot. THUMBS UP for you all from a very happy person.

Luciano

Last edited by LucLinh; 9th Sep 2006 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: to add rating

New Member

      20th Oct 2006
Knoj, thanx a bunch PAL!!!!
nice, nice post - i was determined to go get myself a new hdd as a last resort until i came across ur post, after having searched repeatedly the whole net to no avail!!

praying for ur health man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoj
jaze wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> EVERY time I boot my PC, CHKDSK needs to run for drive E. I let it.
> whether I reboot immediately or later, CHKDSK runs again. I've tried
> Norton Disk Doctor also, to no avail.
> Naturally, I can't defrag drive E due to the impending CHKDSK. I tried
> to clone (image) the partitions onto another drive so I could reformat
> drive 1, but I can't start the copy due to the need to run CHKDSK.
>
> Drive 0 = 18.2GB U160 HDD (C) - FAT32
> Drive 1 = ATA/100 20GB partition 1 (D). 91GB partition 2 (E) - NTFS
>
> Windows XP Pro, 2.6GHz, 1GB, MX440 64MB, ASUS P4 MoBo, UltraPlex Wide
> UW CD-ROM, external USB 2.0 CD/RW, wireless keyboard/mouse, scanner,
> printer, yada, yada, yada.
> NAV 2003 Pro, Ad-Aware Pro 6.0.181, PestPatrol Corporate v4.2.0.53,
> Diskeeper v8.0.459 Pro, Zone Alarm v4.0.146.029
>
> Any legitimate suggestions? How about an MS KB article addressing this
> issue?
>
> -Jaze

I was having this problem until today. I used this simple fix. It might
help you.

1. click on your start menu and open the run dialog.
2. type "cmd" and return (note: dont enter quotes)
3. Next type "fsutil dirty query e:"
4. If the return message indicates that the volume is dirty go to step 5
5. Next type "chkdsk e: /f /x"
6. After that finshes repeat step 3.
7. If it is no longer dirty then reboot and you should notice no more
ckdisk.

If this process doesn't work check out Kelly's site, listed by a
previous response earlier today.

New Member

      20th Mar 2007
Godd advice die hard! Thanks to knoj #3 above (2003!!)
Worked for me todays. Thanks.

New Member

      4th May 2007
thank a lot, I spent a lot of time on it,worked for my C drive,1 shot.
thanks again