What chemical to clean clogged inkjet printhead?

Max -

      28th Jul 2004
What is the best chemical to use (preferably that I can buy on the
high street) to clean a clogged printhead on a HP injet printer?

Isopropanol?
Ethanol?
Dry-cleaning fluid?
Ammonia?
Distilled water?

There seem to be several proprietary solutions on the market but I
can't work out what they contain.

Mike Walsh

      28th Jul 2004

I don't know about HP printers, because if you replace the ink cartridge you will get a new print head. On Epsons I have had best results with water (water soluble ink).

--

When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

Noozer

      28th Jul 2004
Ammonia.. Try windex.

"Max -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> What is the best chemical to use (preferably that I can buy on the
> high street) to clean a clogged printhead on a HP injet printer?
>
> Isopropanol?
> Ethanol?
> Dry-cleaning fluid?
> Ammonia?
> Distilled water?
>
> There seem to be several proprietary solutions on the market but I
> can't work out what they contain.

OCZ Guy

      28th Jul 2004

Just dunk it in some hot water for a few minutes, just the cloged bit
not the whole thing

And bang it alittle on towel repeat, will be fixed in NO time, thats
how i do it.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:41:24 GMT, "Noozer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ammonia.. Try windex.
>
>"Max -" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> What is the best chemical to use (preferably that I can buy on the
>> high street) to clean a clogged printhead on a HP injet printer?
>>
>> Isopropanol?
>> Ethanol?
>> Dry-cleaning fluid?
>> Ammonia?
>> Distilled water?
>>
>> There seem to be several proprietary solutions on the market but I
>> can't work out what they contain.

kony

      28th Jul 2004
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 18:23:21 +0100, "Max -"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What is the best chemical to use (preferably that I can buy on the
>high street) to clean a clogged printhead on a HP injet printer?
>
>Isopropanol?
>Ethanol?
>Dry-cleaning fluid?
>Ammonia?
>Distilled water?
>
>There seem to be several proprietary solutions on the market but I
>can't work out what they contain.

Distilled water, half-dozen percent ammonia (give or take), and a
couple drops of detergent (NOT "soap"). Warm it up and soak,
take out print head and wipe off electical contacts but not
bottom... install in printer while bottom is still wet and do the
head-cleaning routine, just be sure there's ink in cartridge,
that it's not too dried out as cause of problem.

Peter Duck

      28th Jul 2004
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
OCZ Guy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> What is the best chemical to use (preferably that I can buy on the
> >> high street) to clean a clogged printhead on a HP injet printer? ...

> Just dunk it in some hot water for a few minutes, just the cloged bit
> not the whole thing

> And bang it alittle on towel repeat, will be fixed in NO time, thats
> how i do it.

That's often worked for me, but not indefinitely: I understand that
there's a 'microfilter' in some or all HP cartridges between reservoir
and print-head - if that eventually gets clogged, even boiling the
output end doesn't unblock it (nor does ammonia/'cleaning fluid',
externally applied)

--
Peter Duck <(E-Mail Removed)>

*Vanguard*

      29th Jul 2004
"Max -" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in news:9534BB111A98061M2A@127.0.0.1:
> What is the best chemical to use (preferably that I can buy on the
> high street) to clean a clogged printhead on a HP injet printer?
>
> Isopropanol?

Yes. It contains distilled water to eliminate minerals and it
evaporates quickly. It does leave behind a misty white film usually
invisible to the naked eye but disasterous for cleaning high power
lasers because of refraction, but this isn't a problem on an inkjet
cartridge.

> Ethanol?

Definitely not. It will leave behind a residue. Just because it is
considered a clean-burning fuel doesn't make it a clean solvent.
Corrosive to some plastics.

> Dry-cleaning fluid?

Perchloroethylene (aka PERC and tetrachloroethylene), a chlorinated
solvent, can be destructive to some plastics. Before PERC, kerosene was
used for "dry" cleaning (i.e., near absence of water). It is a strong
degreaser. One ounce of PERC released directly into water can
contaminate nearly 2-1/2 million gallons of water above regulatory
concentrations. It can dissolve paint, glue, grease, wax, and oil but
just use water on a water-soluble ink.

> Ammonia?

Windex leaves behind a residue (but probably not enough to worry about
regarding an inkjet cartridge) and why you have to buff the residues
(glycols) to eliminate streaks (see
http://www.windexglasscleaner.com/faqs.asp#1) whereas letting it dry
from wet strokes will leave streaks despite the use of surfactants.
Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it ain't there. There is
window wax, too, and if applied properly is unseen but it is definitely
there. If it's all you have (unlikely) then use Windex but remember
that it is a general purpose cleaner and may "clean" more than you want.
For example, don't use on CRTs or LCDs or you may lose the
anti-reflective coating and first test on an inconspicuous small area
for tinted windows. Windex is: ammonia (emulsifier), 2-Butoxyethanol
(surface coating solvent and degreaser, or dissolution promoter, also
used in pesticides), Ethylene glycol hexyl ether (a solvent in the
commercial version only), isopropyl alcohol, and 60-100% water. Water
is neutral at a pH of 7, seawater is 8, and oven cleaners are 13.
Ammonia is pH of 11, or 10,000 more alkaline than water (pH is
exponential).

Don't use ammonia; it's too corrosive and can make plastic go cloudy.
Windex has ammonia (unless you get the vinegar or orange formulas). If
the dried ink is too stubborn for distilled water or isopropyl alchol,
use diluted white vinegar or purer acetic acid (a descaler) and follow
by cleaning with distilled water (to eliminate the vinegar residue).

> Distilled water?

Yes. The ink is water soluable. This is what HP recommends. Use this
first unless the dried ink is too stubborn and needs isopropyl to
dissolve it.

> There seem to be several proprietary solutions on the market but I
> can't work out what they contain.

Most are just very diluted isopropyl alcohol in deionized water. They
don't list ingredients because they know you could make your own for far
cheaper. Car engine cleaners also include isopropyl alcohol but you
could by 99% isopropyl at the drug store and get 50 times more than what
is in the car cleaner. Would you buy 50 bottles of the $1 gas
evaporator/injector cleaner which is kerosene, Stoddard solvent (aka
Naphtha, Mineral Spirits), and a tiny bit of isopropyl for a total cost
of $50, or would you buy just a $3 bottle of 99% isopropyl?

You should run a test page at least once a month to prevent the ink from
drying up in the nozzle (aka an ink plug). This can use up a lot of
ink, though. Even if you don't use the printer, the ink will dry up in
the sponge inside the cartridge because vents are open to displace the
ink that runs out. Don't remove the labels since they may cover more
vent holes that are used at the factory when filling the cartridge. If
you don't plan to use your printer for a long while, put the cartridge
in a plastic bag.

(E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)

Franky

      29th Jul 2004
Nice post.

Todd Brooks

      29th Jul 2004
Yes, I too am impressed.

--

"Franky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> [...]

> > include isopropyl alcohol but you could by 99% isopropyl at
> > the drug store and get 50 times more than what is in the car
> > cleaner. Would you buy 50 bottles of the $1 gas
> > evaporator/injector cleaner which is kerosene, Stoddard
> > solvent (aka Naphtha, Mineral Spirits), and a tiny bit of
> > isopropyl for a total cost of $50, or would you buy just a $3
> > bottle of 99% isopropyl?
> >
> > You should run a test page at least once a month to prevent
> > the ink from drying up in the nozzle (aka an ink plug). This
> > can use up a lot of ink, though. Even if you don't use the
> > printer, the ink will dry up in the sponge inside the
> > cartridge because vents are open to displace the ink that runs
> > out. Don't remove the labels since they may cover more vent
> > holes that are used at the factory when filling the cartridge.
> > If you don't plan to use your printer for a long while, put

"Todd Brooks" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
> [...]
>>> include isopropyl alcohol but you could by 99% isopropyl at
>>> the drug store and get 50 times more than what is in the car
>>> cleaner. Would you buy 50 bottles of the $1 gas
>>> evaporator/injector cleaner which is kerosene, Stoddard
>>> solvent (aka Naphtha, Mineral Spirits), and a tiny bit of
>>> isopropyl for a total cost of $50, or would you buy just a $3
>>> bottle of 99% isopropyl?
>>>
>>> You should run a test page at least once a month to prevent
>>> the ink from drying up in the nozzle (aka an ink plug). This
>>> can use up a lot of ink, though. Even if you don't use the
>>> printer, the ink will dry up in the sponge inside the
>>> cartridge because vents are open to displace the ink that runs
>>> out. Don't remove the labels since they may cover more vent
>>> holes that are used at the factory when filling the cartridge.
>>> If you don't plan to use your printer for a long while, put

It actually started when trying to figure out what the hell is actually
in Windex (which has several formulations) to figure out why it is more
special than, say, using very diluted isopropyl alcohol and ammonia.
What could the "D" in "Ammonia-D" was for? I see claims that Ammonia-D
has 45% more grease-cutting power but more than what? Ammonia non-D?
Ammonia-A, -B, or -C? Water? 145% of anything less than 100% means you
are not getting 100% of the *rest* of the grease that didn't get
cleaned. If you only got 90% before, 10% was left behind so 45% more of
the 10% left behind is 4.5% so you would now get 94.5% and still leave
behind 5.5% of the grease.

Since "Ammonia-D" is trademarked by SC Johnson, I figured something of
what it is might be mentioned in the trademark registration
(http://www.uspto.gov/). Ammonia-D is registered to Drackett Co. way
back in 1964. Drackett is the registrant whereas SC Johnson is the
owner. However, there are no details as to WHAT got trademarked. A
Google search turned up "Ammonia-D is a registered trademark for an
exclusive glass cleaning formula." Well, then there is no such thing as
*ammonia* type D, or such. It just means it is ammonia and some
specific set of other ingredients in a formula of which the vast
percentage is WATER! I guess the only way to know the formula is to
read the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet). Change one ingredient or
its percentage and we have Ammonia-X. Actually Ammonia-D has worked
well for them so they have, for example, their institutional strength
Ammonia-D but with "extra" ingredient(s); i.e., it's all Ammonia-D with
something else.

(E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)