How to check for environment variable?

Fie Fie Niles

      12th Mar 2004
How can I check environment variable in Window 2000 or Windows NT? I have a
problem connecting to Oracle database, and I was suggested to check
the enviroment variable : TNS_ADMIN. I search for TNS_ADMIN in the registry,
but it could not find it. Thank you.

Carl Fenley

      12th Mar 2004
Fie Fie Niles wrote:
> How can I check environment variable in Window 2000 or Windows NT? I
> have a problem connecting to Oracle database, and I was suggested to
> check
> the enviroment variable : TNS_ADMIN. I search for TNS_ADMIN in the
> registry, but it could not find it. Thank you.

Right-click "My Computer", select Properties from the Menu, go to the
Advanced tab, and click Environment Variables...

Good Luck!

- carl

Fie Fie Niles

      12th Mar 2004
Thanks a lot.
So, to check for the enviroment variable : TNS_ADMIN, I should check under
"User variable" or "system variable", there is a variable called "TNS_ADMIN"
, right? Thanks.

"Carl Fenley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Fie Fie Niles wrote:
> > How can I check environment variable in Window 2000 or Windows NT? I
> > have a problem connecting to Oracle database, and I was suggested to
> > check
> > the enviroment variable : TNS_ADMIN. I search for TNS_ADMIN in the
> > registry, but it could not find it. Thank you.

> Right-click "My Computer", select Properties from the Menu, go to the
> Advanced tab, and click Environment Variables...
>
> Good Luck!
>
> - carl

Steve Parry [MVP]

      12th Mar 2004
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Fie Fie Niles <(E-Mail Removed)> fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
> How can I check environment variable in Window 2000 or Windows NT? I
> have a problem connecting to Oracle database, and I was suggested to
> check
> the enviroment variable : TNS_ADMIN. I search for TNS_ADMIN in the
> registry, but it could not find it. Thank you.

Press Windows Key and Pause key

System properties opens
Advanced tab
Evironment Variables Button

or

Start
Run
type
CMD
press OK

type
set
press enter

env_vars list displayed

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP

      12th Mar 2004
"Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Fie Fie Niles <(E-Mail Removed)> fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
> > How can I check environment variable in Window 2000 or Windows NT? I
> > have a problem connecting to Oracle database, and I was suggested to
> > check
> > the enviroment variable : TNS_ADMIN. I search for TNS_ADMIN in the
> > registry, but it could not find it. Thank you.

> Press Windows Key and Pause key
>
> System properties opens
> Advanced tab
> Evironment Variables Button
>
> or
>
> Start
> Run
> type
> CMD
> press OK
>
> type
> set
> press enter
>
> env_vars list displayed
>
> --
> Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
>
> http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Or, instead of typing set (which I agree is good for anyone to know
anyway), you could just type:

echo %TNS_ADMIN%

If the var exist, the command prompt will echo it's value. If it
doesn't exist, it will just echo what your echo is set to (ON or OFF).
--
Ricardo M. Urbano
Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP

Fie Fie Niles

      12th Mar 2004
Thank you all for your replies.

"Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Steve Parry [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> > Fie Fie Niles <(E-Mail Removed)> fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
> > > How can I check environment variable in Window 2000 or Windows NT? I
> > > have a problem connecting to Oracle database, and I was suggested to
> > > check
> > > the enviroment variable : TNS_ADMIN. I search for TNS_ADMIN in the
> > > registry, but it could not find it. Thank you.

> > Press Windows Key and Pause key
> >
> > System properties opens
> > Advanced tab
> > Evironment Variables Button
> >
> > or
> >
> > Start
> > Run
> > type
> > CMD
> > press OK
> >
> > type
> > set
> > press enter
> >
> > env_vars list displayed
> >
> > --
> > Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP
> >
> > http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

> Or, instead of typing set (which I agree is good for anyone to know
> anyway), you could just type:
>
> echo %TNS_ADMIN%
>
> If the var exist, the command prompt will echo it's value. If it
> doesn't exist, it will just echo what your echo is set to (ON or OFF).
> --
> Ricardo M. Urbano
> Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP

George Hester

      14th Mar 2004
Start | Run | cmd | cd\ | set <ENTER>

You'll see all your enviornment variables.

--
George Hester
__________________________________
"Fie Fie Niles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can I check environment variable in Window 2000 or Windows NT? I have a
> problem connecting to Oracle database, and I was suggested to check
> the enviroment variable : TNS_ADMIN. I search for TNS_ADMIN in the registry,
> but it could not find it. Thank you.

New Member

      16th Dec 2010
I've Attached a Tool To Check Your Environment Variables.
It was Written and Compiled in Visual Batch.
Attached Files
File Type: zip GEV.zip (361.3 KB, 371 views)