How to check BIOS?

Karen

      22nd Jun 2004
How do I check the BIOS for Windows XP Pro? Please not I
am a novice and nothing should be assumed. I need to check
the Plug & Play - I have no sound and If tried every thing
else, (vol, mute speaker connection.etc)

Modelingfrog

      22nd Jun 2004
your bios has nothing to do with the OS (not exactly that is) when you
power on your computer there should be a buch of post test being made.
during that brief second or so you could see the bios date and version. or
you could go to "system information" from the "system tools" located in
"accessories" of the "all programs" menu.

"Karen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1f89a01c4587e$42ff07b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I check the BIOS for Windows XP Pro? Please not I
> am a novice and nothing should be assumed. I need to check
> the Plug & Play - I have no sound and If tried every thing
> else, (vol, mute speaker connection.etc)

Ken Blake, MVP

      22nd Jun 2004
In news:1f89a01c4587e$42ff07b0$(E-Mail Removed),
Karen <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

> How do I check the BIOS for Windows XP Pro?

You don't check the BIOS *for* Windows XP. The BIOS is *for* the
computer, not the operating system it's running.

How to get into your BIOS depends, not on Windows, but on what
motherboard/BIOS you have. As a matter of fact, you have to
access the BIOS before Windows even starts to boot. One common
way is to press the Del key when you first power on, but that's
not necessarily right for your computer. Watch the screen
carefully when you first boot; there's often a message there
telling you what to do. If not, check your system documentation
or check with your vendor.

Also look here:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Or just try the Del key. There's a good chance that's correct for
you.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Harry Ohrn

      22nd Jun 2004
The BIOS is not part of Windows XP. It is a chip on your computer's
motherboard. Different computers have different brands of BIOS. BIOS stands
for Basic Input Output System. When you first start you computer it runs a
number of checks and basic system settings. It then runs a number of
instructions which will eventually boot your computer into the operating
system. In your case Windows XP. The BIOS should not be mucked around in by
a novice user as changes made to it can include problems with restarting the
computer or system stability.Who suggested you check the BIOS to try and
resolve your sound problem?

It sounds like you've ruled out some of the basics but when you say you've
check volume, mute, connections was this only on the speakers themselves or
did you check the Control Panel->Sounds to see if there was a settings
problem there? Do you have the sound icon in the systray (looks like a
little speaker located next to the clock) If the icon is there give it a
click and you should see a slider pop up. Perhaps that has been slid down or
muted.

Or go into Control Panel->Sounds and check the Audio Tab to see if your
sound card is listed. If it is not listed or something is greyed out then
you might need to reinstall the drivers for your sound card. These are
generally found on the CD that came with your sound card or on the
Motherboard CD that came with the computer.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Karen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1f89a01c4587e$42ff07b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I check the BIOS for Windows XP Pro? Please not I
> am a novice and nothing should be assumed. I need to check
> the Plug & Play - I have no sound and If tried every thing
> else, (vol, mute speaker connection.etc)

Kamal

      22nd Jun 2004
S.Sengupta can you please fix your date???

"S.Sengupta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Karen,
> This is typically done by pressing certain button(s)-which may be
> DEL/F1/F2/F10/or,CTRL+ALT+DEL etc etc,while your computer is loading up.
> It should tell you what to press,or please go through your motherboard
> manual as it varies from motherboard to motherboard.After entering the
> BIOS ,check integrated peripherals for onboard audio controller.
> But before experimenting with BIOS have you tried:-
>
> 'Where did my Sounds go?'
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
> pronetworks.org
>

> Karen wrote:
>
>> How do I check the BIOS for Windows XP Pro? Please not I am a novice and
>> nothing should be assumed. I need to check the Plug & Play - I have no
>> sound and If tried every thing else, (vol, mute speaker connection.etc)

Bruce Chambers

      23rd Jun 2004
Greetings --

The operating system is immaterial. Only you know what
motherboard and BIOS you have, so only you know the answer to your
question. ;-}

In the extremely unlikely event that your PC's manual or the
motherboard manufacturer's web site don't contain the needed
information, try one or more of the following:

How do I access my computer's setup (BIOS)
http://www.iomega.com/support/documents/2157.html

Wim's BIOS Page
http://www.wimsbios.com/

Accessing Motherboard BIOS
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Karen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1f89a01c4587e$42ff07b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I check the BIOS for Windows XP Pro? Please not I
> am a novice and nothing should be assumed. I need to check
> the Plug & Play - I have no sound and If tried every thing
> else, (vol, mute speaker connection.etc)

S.Sengupta

      22nd Jul 2004

Karen wrote:

> How do I check the BIOS for Windows XP Pro? Please not I
> am a novice and nothing should be assumed. I need to check
> the Plug & Play - I have no sound and If tried every thing
> else, (vol, mute speaker connection.etc)

New Member