Cheap system... (Abit NF7-M ?)

keith

      6th Oct 2004
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 03:06:15 +0000, The little lost angel wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:48:01 -0400, keith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have one around somewhere, but the distance between the two drives still
>>isn't right to plug in the CDs. YOY don't board manufacturers put the IDE
>>connectors closer to the drives?

> is there any reason why if the mountain doesn't come to Mohammed,
> Mohammed cannot go to the mountain instead? Or is your casing so huge
> that even moving the drives closer won't help? pPpPp

I guess I could get out the Binford 6000 chasis saw (more TV humor here).
No, the casing isn't *huge* (6" shorter then my trusty Q500 casess),
rather the IDE ports are in a bad place. One assumes they think a
"server" will only have disk drives and no CDROM drives? The cables
*just* about make it to the top of the case. In no way can one put two
drives (disk-CD, or CD-CD) in there on the same (standard) IDE cable.
Thus, my DVDROM frive is disconnected now.

--
Keith

George Macdonald

      6th Oct 2004
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:56:58 -0400, keith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]

>>>the same air.

>> True but the variable speed fans mentioned below do make a big
>> difference... and from what I hear, pushing the system doesn't make any
>> noticeable increase in noise.

>Ok, but shouldn't the MB temperature sensors decide what RPM to use,
>rather than the PS? There's an argument either way, but the motherboard
>sensors are presumably closer to the widget that needs cooling.

>>>I somehow got the CFO's approval to buy a Sonata (don't know if I'm going
>>>to execute though) to replace teh SX1040, which would then replace the
>>>Q500, which would likely move to the basement to be used as a file server.
>>>I have too much work to do around the house to go that far though. Soon
>>>the snow will fly though.

>> I thought I recalled you wanted an Extended ATX case??... though I wasn't
>> sure if it was needed for the Tyan.

>Well, they're both Tyans. ;-) The Opteron system has the ATA drives and
>the cables don't reach (well, I can plug in the DVD drive or the DVD-R/W).
>The K6-III's CD drives are all SCSI and I have enough cable to reach to
>Mars. I have SCSI drives in the Opteron system too, but it appears that
>my AHA-3940 is toast. No one recognizes it. ...not a biggie, since newer
>and better ATA drives are so cheap.

>>>I have one around somewhere, but the distance between the two drives
>>>still isn't right to plug in the CDs. YOY don't board manufacturers put
>>>the IDE connectors closer to the drives? I guess they're the poor
>>>cousins to the FSB and memory. ;-)

>> Ah, two drives off the one cable - that's always been a PITA with IDE
>> unless the drives were right next to each other.

>Two channnels, three drives. The pATA drive is in the 3-1/2 inch bay down
>below and of course the two DVD drives are above in the 5-1/4
>bays. Again, if the SATA drive worked I'd be a happy camper, but I have
>no power over software support (other than bitching where it might get
>noticed ;-). I ded send Tyan a "reminder" today.

>it

>>>Maybe I'll take a look. What's the license like. PQM is pretty
>>>restrictive.

>> Yep and that's always been my bleat with PQM - at one time the wanted
>> ~$900. just to be able to do a repartition of a Win2K Server.

>My boss paid $750ish for an unlimited licence for 3.0, umm *moons* ago. I
>was using it every day to set up test systems, so it wasn't absurd.
>AFAIK, we still have a corporate license for 7.x, but that's for business
>use only.
>
>> It did a lot more of course but of no interest to me. BootitNG is a download and
>> try it - I don't see any restrictions.... yet.

>Free download/trial? URL?
>
>BTW, you wouldn't know anythign about USB sticks and Win98, would you? A
>friend wants to repartition his THinkPad, but I'm not going there unless
>he takes his business accounts off there first. A USB stik would be a
>perfect answer for him. I loaned him mine to try, but apparently Win98

Rgds, George Macdonald

George Macdonald

      6th Oct 2004
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:56:58 -0400, keith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 18:38:05 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

>> The T40s I got have no PS/2 connector at all - haven't looked to see if
>> it's been "restored" in T41s.

>...another reason to tell 'em to "go to hell". Rumor has it that they're
>replacing 3YO ThinkPads next year. They'll replace my A21p over my
>retired body! ;-)

I know what you mean:-) - for the cost of a measly min-DIN! But I had 2
A2xms (a 500MHz and 800MHz) go bad about a year ago so they had to be
replaced.<shrug> I suspect it's the CPU socket/seating issue mentioned in
the Forums at www.thinkpads.com but I haven't had err, time to go inside
them yet.

>>>Right, and a 120mm fan doesn't have to do the RPMs of an 80mm fan to move
>>>the same air.

>> True but the variable speed fans mentioned below do make a big
>> difference... and from what I hear, pushing the system doesn't make any
>> noticeable increase in noise.

>Ok, but shouldn't the MB temperature sensors decide what RPM to use,
>rather than the PS? There's an argument either way, but the motherboard
>sensors are presumably closer to the widget that needs cooling.

Makes sense but the Antec case fans have HDD-type power connectors and the
Truepower P/S has those special variable voltage fan connectors.

Yes: www.bootitng.com

>BTW, you wouldn't know anythign about USB sticks and Win98, would you? A
>friend wants to repartition his THinkPad, but I'm not going there unless
>he takes his business accounts off there first. A USB stik would be a
>perfect answer for him. I loaned him mine to try, but apparently Win98
>didn't like the taste.

Yep I've had some "experience" there and it appears that some of the Win98
USB flash drive drivers are crap - and even seem to quarrel with each other
- and of course you have to use drivers with Win98:

I got a couple of Sandisk Cruzer 128MBs and they worked OKwith the drivers
off the Sandisk Web site; then the "next time" I got a couple of Sandisk
Cruzer 256MBs and they didn't work. Trod off to the Sandisk site to find
that... ahh, there are new drivers; load the new drivers and nothing
works!... not even a 3rd USB drive of a different brand. I had to
uninstall all the USB flash drivers from the system, delete the old .INF
files and then load the latest driver versions.... reboot.... reboot....
reboot... Win98 does get frustrating.

I've also had trouble trying to make some of the USB flash drives bootable
- came across a utility called AEFDISK, http://www.aefdisk.com/ which
allows you to patch the boot records and that helped. It's actually a
DOS-based command-line low-level partitioning utility, which I'd find kinda
scarey for HDD work, but I only had to use a couple of commands on the USB
flash drives... to change the media type IIRC.

The other possibility, if he has a CD-R/RW, is to use BootitNG to take an
Image of his current partitions to CD-R but if he has a lot of stuff that
could be several CD-Rs and a lot of time.

Rgds, George Macdonald

keith

      7th Oct 2004
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 06:57:19 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:56:58 -0400, keith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 18:38:05 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

>>> The T40s I got have no PS/2 connector at all - haven't looked to see if
>>> it's been "restored" in T41s.

>>...another reason to tell 'em to "go to hell". Rumor has it that they're
>>replacing 3YO ThinkPads next year. They'll replace my A21p over my
>>retired body! ;-)

> I know what you mean:-) - for the cost of a measly min-DIN! But I had 2
> A2xms (a 500MHz and 800MHz) go bad about a year ago so they had to be
> replaced.<shrug> I suspect it's the CPU socket/seating issue mentioned in
> the Forums at www.thinkpads.com but I haven't had err, time to go inside
> them yet.

I just don't see the reason behind USB keyboards/mice at all. There is no
advantage and many problems. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

>>> True but the variable speed fans mentioned below do make a big
>>> difference... and from what I hear, pushing the system doesn't make
>>> any noticeable increase in noise.

>>Ok, but shouldn't the MB temperature sensors decide what RPM to use,
>>rather than the PS? There's an argument either way, but the motherboard
>>sensors are presumably closer to the widget that needs cooling.

> Makes sense but the Antec case fans have HDD-type power connectors and
> the Truepower P/S has those special variable voltage fan connectors.

I replace my case fans, but it didn't do any good. The board still
doesn't detect any R's. :-(

>>> It did a lot more of course but of no interest to me. BootitNG is a
>>> download and try it - I don't see any restrictions.... yet.

>>Free download/trial? URL?

> Yes: www.bootitng.com

I'll look into it (seeing the URL, I now remember you talking about this
some time back).

>>BTW, you wouldn't know anythign about USB sticks and Win98, would you? A
>>friend wants to repartition his THinkPad, but I'm not going there unless
>>he takes his business accounts off there first. A USB stik would be a
>>perfect answer for him. I loaned him mine to try, but apparently Win98
>>didn't like the taste.

> Yep I've had some "experience" there and it appears that some of the
> Win98 USB flash drive drivers are crap - and even seem to quarrel with
> each other - and of course you have to use drivers with Win98:

I guess that's not surprising. Win9x is crap, and always has been. USB
was useless until Win2K, IMO. Indeed it was a bad idea until 2.0.

> I got a couple of Sandisk Cruzer 128MBs and they worked OKwith the
> drivers off the Sandisk Web site; then the "next time" I got a couple of
> Sandisk Cruzer 256MBs and they didn't work. Trod off to the Sandisk
> site to find that... ahh, there are new drivers; load the new drivers
> and nothing works!... not even a 3rd USB drive of a different brand. I
> had to uninstall all the USB flash drivers from the system, delete the
> old .INF files and then load the latest driver versions.... reboot....
> reboot.... reboot... Win98 does get frustrating.

Ugly! I have a Crucial Gizmo that apparently doesn't like '98. Crucual
doesn't support it either. Whou wudda thunk that a storage device would
need its own driver. Interface, sure. ...but *device*?!

> I've also had trouble trying to make some of the USB flash drives
> bootable - came across a utility called AEFDISK, http://www.aefdisk.com/
> which allows you to patch the boot records and that helped. It's
> actually a DOS-based command-line low-level partitioning utility, which
> I'd find kinda scarey for HDD work, but I only had to use a couple of
> commands on the USB flash drives... to change the media type IIRC.

I'm much less interested in bootable USB sticks. I use them as the new
sneaker-net. ...floppy replacement, if you will. If it'll fit on a
floppy , I'll email it to myself. Otherwise a stick is rather usefull.

> The other possibility, if he has a CD-R/RW, is to use BootitNG to take
> an Image of his current partitions to CD-R but if he has a lot of stuff
> that could be several CD-Rs and a lot of time.

He doesn't. IIRC, he bought a USB connected writer, but he can't get it
to work either. Win98 is just so grand!

--
Keith

George Macdonald

      7th Oct 2004
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:06:20 -0400, keith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 06:57:19 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

>> Makes sense but the Antec case fans have HDD-type power connectors and
>> the Truepower P/S has those special variable voltage fan connectors.

>I replace my case fans, but it didn't do any good. The board still
>doesn't detect any R's. :-(

Hmm, I've seen that when the case fans had their own thermistor speed
control and weren't spinning fast enough to meet the min speed for
detection by the BIOS - 1300rpm IIRC. I found that the mbrd monitoring
software (Asus Probe at the time) had a lower min speed setting than the
BIOS and it could see them.

>>>BTW, you wouldn't know anythign about USB sticks and Win98, would you? A
>>>friend wants to repartition his THinkPad, but I'm not going there unless
>>>he takes his business accounts off there first. A USB stik would be a
>>>perfect answer for him. I loaned him mine to try, but apparently Win98
>>>didn't like the taste.

>> Yep I've had some "experience" there and it appears that some of the
>> Win98 USB flash drive drivers are crap - and even seem to quarrel with
>> each other - and of course you have to use drivers with Win98:

>I guess that's not surprising. Win9x is crap, and always has been. USB
>was useless until Win2K, IMO. Indeed it was a bad idea until 2.0.
>
>> I got a couple of Sandisk Cruzer 128MBs and they worked OKwith the
>> drivers off the Sandisk Web site; then the "next time" I got a couple of
>> Sandisk Cruzer 256MBs and they didn't work. Trod off to the Sandisk
>> site to find that... ahh, there are new drivers; load the new drivers
>> and nothing works!... not even a 3rd USB drive of a different brand. I
>> had to uninstall all the USB flash drivers from the system, delete the
>> old .INF files and then load the latest driver versions.... reboot....
>> reboot.... reboot... Win98 does get frustrating.

>Ugly! I have a Crucial Gizmo that apparently doesn't like '98. Crucual
>doesn't support it either. Whou wudda thunk that a storage device would
>need its own driver. Interface, sure. ...but *device*?!

I have a Gizmo too and the drivers for Win98 are here:
http://www.crucial.com/support/gizmo/ - works for me... but it is a mess,
since there is no generic driver.

>> I've also had trouble trying to make some of the USB flash drives
>> bootable - came across a utility called AEFDISK, http://www.aefdisk.com/
>> which allows you to patch the boot records and that helped. It's
>> actually a DOS-based command-line low-level partitioning utility, which
>> I'd find kinda scarey for HDD work, but I only had to use a couple of
>> commands on the USB flash drives... to change the media type IIRC.

>I'm much less interested in bootable USB sticks. I use them as the new
>sneaker-net. ...floppy replacement, if you will. If it'll fit on a
>floppy , I'll email it to myself. Otherwise a stick is rather usefull.

Errm, remember I mentioned the T40s I got have no PS/2 connector - they
also have no floppy unless you get a USB floppy. I got one but if I'm to
use USB it might as well be off a flash drive.:-)

>> The other possibility, if he has a CD-R/RW, is to use BootitNG to take
>> an Image of his current partitions to CD-R but if he has a lot of stuff
>> that could be several CD-Rs and a lot of time.

>He doesn't. IIRC, he bought a USB connected writer, but he can't get it
>to work either. Win98 is just so grand!

Is this Win98SE? If it's Win98(non-SE) the USB was known to be flakey as
well as a bunch of other stuff.

Rgds, George Macdonald

keith

      8th Oct 2004
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 07:31:46 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:06:20 -0400, keith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 06:57:19 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

>>> Makes sense but the Antec case fans have HDD-type power connectors and
>>> the Truepower P/S has those special variable voltage fan connectors.

>>I replace my case fans, but it didn't do any good. The board still
>>doesn't detect any R's. :-(

> Hmm, I've seen that when the case fans had their own thermistor speed
> control and weren't spinning fast enough to meet the min speed for
> detection by the BIOS - 1300rpm IIRC. I found that the mbrd monitoring
> software (Asus Probe at the time) had a lower min speed setting than the
> BIOS and it could see them.

I don't think these fans are smart enough. I've gone through at least a
half-dozen fans, expecting crap to be just that. ...nada.

>>> Yep I've had some "experience" there and it appears that some of the
>>> Win98 USB flash drive drivers are crap - and even seem to quarrel with
>>> each other - and of course you have to use drivers with Win98:

>>I guess that's not surprising. Win9x is crap, and always has been. USB
>>was useless until Win2K, IMO. Indeed it was a bad idea until 2.0.
>>
>>> I got a couple of Sandisk Cruzer 128MBs and they worked OKwith the
>>> drivers off the Sandisk Web site; then the "next time" I got a couple
>>> of Sandisk Cruzer 256MBs and they didn't work. Trod off to the
>>> Sandisk site to find that... ahh, there are new drivers; load the new
>>> drivers and nothing works!... not even a 3rd USB drive of a different
>>> brand. I had to uninstall all the USB flash drivers from the system,
>>> delete the old .INF files and then load the latest driver versions....
>>> reboot.... reboot.... reboot... Win98 does get frustrating.

>>Ugly! I have a Crucial Gizmo that apparently doesn't like '98. Crucual
>>doesn't support it either. Whou wudda thunk that a storage device would
>>need its own driver. Interface, sure. ...but *device*?!

> I have a Gizmo too and the drivers for Win98 are here:
> http://www.crucial.com/support/gizmo/ - works for me... but it is a
> mess, since there is no generic driver.

Thanks! I've forwarded it on to my friend. I thought I'd see him earlier
so I could loan him my Gizmo again, to make sure what he buys will work.

>>> I've also had trouble trying to make some of the USB flash drives
>>> bootable - came across a utility called AEFDISK,
>>> http://www.aefdisk.com/ which allows you to patch the boot records and
>>> that helped. It's actually a DOS-based command-line low-level
>>> partitioning utility, which I'd find kinda scarey for HDD work, but I
>>> only had to use a couple of commands on the USB flash drives... to
>>> change the media type IIRC.

>>I'm much less interested in bootable USB sticks. I use them as the new
>>sneaker-net. ...floppy replacement, if you will. If it'll fit on a
>>floppy , I'll email it to myself. Otherwise a stick is rather usefull.

> Errm, remember I mentioned the T40s I got have no PS/2 connector - they
> also have no floppy unless you get a USB floppy. I got one but if I'm
> to use USB it might as well be off a flash drive.:-)

Errm, that's rather my point; floppys are useless. I don't know why I
even put one in this system, other than it was gathering dust in a drawer.
Indeed I've never tested it. ...but also has never failed. ;-)

>>> The other possibility, if he has a CD-R/RW, is to use BootitNG to take
>>> an Image of his current partitions to CD-R but if he has a lot of
>>> stuff that could be several CD-Rs and a lot of time.

>>He doesn't. IIRC, he bought a USB connected writer, but he can't get it
>>to work either. Win98 is just so grand!

> Is this Win98SE? If it's Win98(non-SE) the USB was known to be flakey
> as well as a bunch of other stuff.

Dunno. It's hard getting real information out of non-professionals.

--
Keith

keith

      11th Oct 2004
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 20:17:45 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 23:16:12 -0400, keith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 03:07:40 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:
>>

>>I've given her my proposal, which was the Asus board Tony suggested and an
>>option (to fit her budget) of 256MB and a combo CD-R/W and DVD ROM, or
>>512MB and "only" a CD-R/W. Both are within nickels (ok, $15) of her
>>$400[*] target. She's said she'd give me a check this weekend.
>>
>>[*] note that she has a monitor/keyboard/mouse, I'm going to swipe the
>>floppy out of the smoked system ($8.50 issue), and I'm giving her one of
>>my USR external modems.

> Sounds good - it'll be a helluva system for the $$. Oh BTW, just in case,
> I finally found a keyboard for $20.+/- that I like and can live with - the
> Memorex MX2760 (yeah, yeah is it dead or is it......?:-)) which I've only
> seen in-store at Comp-USA so far. It has USB + PS/2 which was one of my
> criteria, the keys feel very nice and it comes with a rubber wrist rest...
> I just ignore the "multi-media" button crap.

I ordered the stuff last Tuesday morning (real work to do Monday), and
amazingly the stuff arrived Thursday afternoon. I guess NewEgg has the
ordering process down pretty well! I didn't get a chance to open the
boxes until today and did what I could. I was waiting for my friend to
bring her monitor over so I didn't have to bend any more pins on my KVM
cables. :-( Sooo, I didn't fire up the old system to delete all the
hardware widgets, in an attempt to slavage her OS.

Anyway, wihtout having put power to the "new" system, I do have some
observations. The case (Antec SLK2650-BQE) isn't all that great, but it
does have some interesting points. The screwless 5-1/4" "slides" seem to
be nice, particularly since they didn't ship *ANY* hardware with the case.
The drive cover/door is a tad flimsey, but I didn't pay lots either.

Back to the lack of any nutz-n-boltz; I busted the stand-off bank
scrounging enough to mount the board. That solved, I moved onto mounting
the drives. Nope, no screws to mount the 3-1/2" drives either. Since the
case uses non-standard mounting screws (rubber mounting bushings for the
drives), I'm dead in the water unless I kludge up something from the local
hardware storee (closed when I got there).

I ordered her a Lite-On CD-R/W drive (OEM), but that didn't come
with everything advertised either. There was supposed to be an audio
cable and a Nero CD. Nope, none. ...but amazingly there was a "Power
DVD" CD included, though no DVD capable drive was ordered.

I also *wrongly* assumed the board (Asus A7N8X-VM/400) would come with
two IDE cables (other recent boards have). Looking closer at the Asus
site, I was wrong (ok, what do I expect for $60). So, I ordered a
couple of round cables for my system this afternoon. I can then donate
mine to the cause. Note that I was considering moving the stuff from my
SX1040BII to a Sonata, but figured a couple of cables were a tad cheaper.
Only about $3.50 for each cable. ...and $4.99 each for shipping! Ok,
such as it is living where a USB cable goes for $25. ...but!

I'm not a big fan of NewEgg tonight. I sent them a nastygram, but
I'll be surprised if I get anything other than an invitation to ship
everything back, at *my* expense. ...plus the 15% re-stocking fee. We'll
see how much they want further business. :-(

--
Keith

George Macdonald

      11th Oct 2004
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:56:35 -0400, keith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 20:17:45 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 23:16:12 -0400, keith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 03:07:40 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:
>>>

>>>I've given her my proposal, which was the Asus board Tony suggested and an
>>>option (to fit her budget) of 256MB and a combo CD-R/W and DVD ROM, or
>>>512MB and "only" a CD-R/W. Both are within nickels (ok, $15) of her
>>>$400[*] target. She's said she'd give me a check this weekend.
>>>
>>>[*] note that she has a monitor/keyboard/mouse, I'm going to swipe the
>>>floppy out of the smoked system ($8.50 issue), and I'm giving her one of
>>>my USR external modems.

>> Sounds good - it'll be a helluva system for the $$. Oh BTW, just in case,
>> I finally found a keyboard for $20.+/- that I like and can live with - the
>> Memorex MX2760 (yeah, yeah is it dead or is it......?:-)) which I've only
>> seen in-store at Comp-USA so far. It has USB + PS/2 which was one of my
>> criteria, the keys feel very nice and it comes with a rubber wrist rest...
>> I just ignore the "multi-media" button crap.

>I ordered the stuff last Tuesday morning (real work to do Monday), and
>amazingly the stuff arrived Thursday afternoon. I guess NewEgg has the
>ordering process down pretty well! I didn't get a chance to open the
>boxes until today and did what I could. I was waiting for my friend to
>bring her monitor over so I didn't have to bend any more pins on my KVM
>cables. :-( Sooo, I didn't fire up the old system to delete all the
>hardware widgets, in an attempt to slavage her OS.

Which OS is on the old system? If Win95 it's beyond salvage value; if
Win98(non-SE) that's as bad. If Win98SE and you go ahead with a removal of
all devices in Safe Mode, remember to put a CD-ROM driver in CONFIG.SYS and
load MSCDEX in the AUTOEXEC.BAT before you try to boot up in the new
system.

>Anyway, wihtout having put power to the "new" system, I do have some
>observations. The case (Antec SLK2650-BQE) isn't all that great, but it
>does have some interesting points. The screwless 5-1/4" "slides" seem to
>be nice, particularly since they didn't ship *ANY* hardware with the case.
>The drive cover/door is a tad flimsey, but I didn't pay lots either.
>
>Back to the lack of any nutz-n-boltz; I busted the stand-off bank
>scrounging enough to mount the board. That solved, I moved onto mounting
>the drives. Nope, no screws to mount the 3-1/2" drives either. Since the
>case uses non-standard mounting screws (rubber mounting bushings for the
>drives), I'm dead in the water unless I kludge up something from the local
>hardware storee (closed when I got there).

Are you sure about the "lack of nutz"? From what I see in a review,
written in French, on the Antec site, the screw package is hidden in the
plastic doo-hickey on the rear of the case which covers the top of the card
slots... and yes they are apparently "special" screws for the drives.

>I ordered her a Lite-On CD-R/W drive (OEM), but that didn't come
>with everything advertised either. There was supposed to be an audio
>cable and a Nero CD. Nope, none. ...but amazingly there was a "Power
>DVD" CD included, though no DVD capable drive was ordered.
>
>I also *wrongly* assumed the board (Asus A7N8X-VM/400) would come with
>two IDE cables (other recent boards have). Looking closer at the Asus
>site, I was wrong (ok, what do I expect for $60). So, I ordered a
>couple of round cables for my system this afternoon. I can then donate
>mine to the cause. Note that I was considering moving the stuff from my
>SX1040BII to a Sonata, but figured a couple of cables were a tad cheaper.
>Only about $3.50 for each cable. ...and $4.99 each for shipping! Ok,
>such as it is living where a USB cable goes for $25. ...but!
>
>I'm not a big fan of NewEgg tonight. I sent them a nastygram, but
>I'll be surprised if I get anything other than an invitation to ship
>everything back, at *my* expense. ...plus the 15% re-stocking fee. We'll
>see how much they want further business. :-(

If there really are missing parts, I've found Antec very responsive: got a
warm phone-body in seconds and they sent me USB 2.0 connector upgrades
because their original front panel USB connectors had a low-pass filter for
USB 1.0 frequencies in the mini-PCB; they also sent me a complete new
plastic front panel assembly for one case which arrived with a broken lower
section - the box had no signs of external abuse so I figured it was the
fault of the packing they use rather than Fedex.

Me?... looks like I'll be starting my spending earlier than anticipated: my
Nokia 447XS monitor started playing up on Sat. morning. The screen just
suddenly went black with no other symptoms - after finding that a spell
with no power would make it work again for a few mins... or a few hours, I
eventually discovered that a whack on the side works too. I'm on my 3rd
whack so far this evening.:-) I guess it could just be 5years of dirt
build-up but I hate to lose this one since it's the best monitor I've ever
seen as far as geometry (absolutely perfect) and clarity goes.

Now I'm investigating the swamp of LCD monitors - dunno what to make of it
really... so many bad stories about every brand available. Samsung looks
good - looking at the 172X - but there are indications that they are just
"very good at writing really good specs".:-) I've tried Iiyama and
Viewsonic at the office and they're "OK". The "standard" acceptable
tolerance for dead pixels seems to be 10... which seems like a lot to me -
I'd be ****ed with that at the wrong end of ~$500. Any experiences or
hints appreciated.

Rgds, George Macdonald

The little lost angel

      11th Oct 2004
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 02:34:53 -0400, George Macdonald
<fammacd=!SPAM^(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Viewsonic at the office and they're "OK". The "standard" acceptable
>tolerance for dead pixels seems to be 10... which seems like a lot to me -
>I'd be ****ed with that at the wrong end of ~$500. Any experiences or
>hints appreciated.

That's really weird. I think around here, 3~7 seems to be the max and
some brands like Philips offer a 3yrs zero bright dots warranty.
Though admittedly, I'm not sure if they cover dead dots as well PpPp

If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me

Keith R. Williams

      11th Oct 2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, fammacd=!
SPAM^(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:56:35 -0400, keith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Sounds good - it'll be a helluva system for the $$. Oh BTW, just in case,
> >> I finally found a keyboard for $20.+/- that I like and can live with - the
> >> Memorex MX2760 (yeah, yeah is it dead or is it......?:-)) which I've only
> >> seen in-store at Comp-USA so far. It has USB + PS/2 which was one of my
> >> criteria, the keys feel very nice and it comes with a rubber wrist rest...
> >> I just ignore the "multi-media" button crap.

> >I ordered the stuff last Tuesday morning (real work to do Monday), and
> >amazingly the stuff arrived Thursday afternoon. I guess NewEgg has the
> >ordering process down pretty well! I didn't get a chance to open the
> >boxes until today and did what I could. I was waiting for my friend to
> >bring her monitor over so I didn't have to bend any more pins on my KVM
> >cables. :-( Sooo, I didn't fire up the old system to delete all the
> >hardware widgets, in an attempt to slavage her OS.

> Which OS is on the old system? If Win95 it's beyond salvage value; if
> Win98(non-SE) that's as bad. If Win98SE and you go ahead with a removal of
> all devices in Safe Mode, remember to put a CD-ROM driver in CONFIG.SYS and
> load MSCDEX in the AUTOEXEC.BAT before you try to boot up in the new
> system.

I'm not sure what version it has, which is why I want to salvage it, if
possible. I think my copies are all Win98 (non-SE), so I'm hoping that
the old system SE (It's about the right age). A new OS will bust the
bank.

Good point about the CD-ROM driver. I wouldn't have thought of that
(the first time ;-). I've copied the old disk to the new, so I can go
back if I blow it. One thing that sorta surprised be is that I can't
expand the FAT32 partition beyond 8GB. I suppose it shouldn't,
considering the clusters were set up on a 6GB drive and Win is *dumb*.

> >Anyway, wihtout having put power to the "new" system, I do have some
> >observations. The case (Antec SLK2650-BQE) isn't all that great, but it
> >does have some interesting points. The screwless 5-1/4" "slides" seem to
> >be nice, particularly since they didn't ship *ANY* hardware with the case.
> >The drive cover/door is a tad flimsey, but I didn't pay lots either.
> >
> >Back to the lack of any nutz-n-boltz; I busted the stand-off bank
> >scrounging enough to mount the board. That solved, I moved onto mounting
> >the drives. Nope, no screws to mount the 3-1/2" drives either. Since the
> >case uses non-standard mounting screws (rubber mounting bushings for the
> >drives), I'm dead in the water unless I kludge up something from the local
> >hardware storee (closed when I got there).

> Are you sure about the "lack of nutz"? From what I see in a review,
> written in French, on the Antec site, the screw package is hidden in the
> plastic doo-hickey on the rear of the case which covers the top of the card
> slots... and yes they are apparently "special" screws for the drives.

You mean that secret trap-door in the back embossed with the word
"hardware"? <blush>. I looked *everywhere* inside the case, including
that black PCI thingy (on the case side). I thought perhaps they'd
stick it in the front fan shroud or something. What *is* the purpose
of the black thingy? ...to make me nutz? ;-) It sure looks like it
has "EMI exit here" written all over it. ... and yes I can see now how
"special" the screws are. I don't like non-standard hardware. I always
seem to lose it and can't collect more. ...at least my parts kit has
been resupplied of board stand-offs.

> >I ordered her a Lite-On CD-R/W drive (OEM), but that didn't come
> >with everything advertised either. There was supposed to be an audio
> >cable and a Nero CD. Nope, none. ...but amazingly there was a "Power
> >DVD" CD included, though no DVD capable drive was ordered.
> >
> >I also *wrongly* assumed the board (Asus A7N8X-VM/400) would come with
> >two IDE cables (other recent boards have). Looking closer at the Asus
> >site, I was wrong (ok, what do I expect for $60). So, I ordered a
> >couple of round cables for my system this afternoon. I can then donate
> >mine to the cause. Note that I was considering moving the stuff from my
> >SX1040BII to a Sonata, but figured a couple of cables were a tad cheaper.
> >Only about $3.50 for each cable. ...and $4.99 each for shipping! Ok,
> >such as it is living where a USB cable goes for $25. ...but!
> >
> >I'm not a big fan of NewEgg tonight. I sent them a nastygram, but
> >I'll be surprised if I get anything other than an invitation to ship
> >everything back, at *my* expense. ...plus the 15% re-stocking fee. We'll
> >see how much they want further business. :-(

> If there really are missing parts, I've found Antec very responsive: got a
> warm phone-body in seconds and they sent me USB 2.0 connector upgrades
> because their original front panel USB connectors had a low-pass filter for
> USB 1.0 frequencies in the mini-PCB; they also sent me a complete new
> plastic front panel assembly for one case which arrived with a broken lower
> section - the box had no signs of external abuse so I figured it was the
> fault of the packing they use rather than Fedex.

It looks like I won't have to test Antec's reputation, but it's good to
know. I'm still considering a Sonata for my Opteron system, but a 24"
(round) IDE cable should get the SX1040 back to being useful, so it's
not an emergency.

I'm still short the Nero CD (I have one from my DVD burner though) and
sound cable, so I'll still have to twit NewEgg. I would have just paid
the $.99 and forgotten the whole thing, but I don't want to pay the
other $4.99 to have it shipped. :-(

> Me?... looks like I'll be starting my spending earlier than anticipated: my
> Nokia 447XS monitor started playing up on Sat. morning. The screen just
> suddenly went black with no other symptoms - after finding that a spell
> with no power would make it work again for a few mins... or a few hours, I
> eventually discovered that a whack on the side works too. I'm on my 3rd
> whack so far this evening.:-) I guess it could just be 5years of dirt
> build-up but I hate to lose this one since it's the best monitor I've ever
> seen as far as geometry (absolutely perfect) and clarity goes.

Like your Nokia, my IBM G94 (or is it a G96?) is perfect too, but has
been doing some horizontal shrinking/flickering. I may check out my
house mains voltage since it seems to be related. The power supply may
be getting weak.

> Now I'm investigating the swamp of LCD monitors - dunno what to make of it
> really... so many bad stories about every brand available. Samsung looks
> good - looking at the 172X - but there are indications that they are just
> "very good at writing really good specs".:-) I've tried Iiyama and
> Viewsonic at the office and they're "OK". The "standard" acceptable
> tolerance for dead pixels seems to be 10... which seems like a lot to me -
> I'd be ****ed with that at the wrong end of ~$500. Any experiences or
> hints appreciated.

The CFO wanted an LCD monitor, but the large ones are still too
expensive for my blood. I'm very happy with the dual-screen Viewsonic
P95/IBM G94 setup. I didn't have the cash to go dual LCDs and buy a
system too.

--
Keith