Charts Constantly Recalculating

stef

      18th Apr 2011
Excel 2002 SP3
Win XP SP2

Hi,

I am charting data series going back in time for many years so many data
points.

I have located charts each in their own sheet--but what I see is that
each chart (I have several time series and several charts) seems to
constantly recalculate which makes the spreasheet really sluggish.....

I had lots of vlookup before which I copy/pasted as values thinking it
would help, but it only does marginally--the real problem seems to stem
from the constant recalculation of the charts.

Any way to fix this, different types of settings, etc.?

Thanks.

Victor Delta

      18th Apr 2011
"stef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iohdbg$nns$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Excel 2002 SP3
> Win XP SP2
>
> Hi,
>
> I am charting data series going back in time for many years so many data
> points.
>
> I have located charts each in their own sheet--but what I see is that
> each chart (I have several time series and several charts) seems to
> constantly recalculate which makes the spreasheet really sluggish.....
>
> I had lots of vlookup before which I copy/pasted as values thinking it
> would help, but it only does marginally--the real problem seems to stem
> from the constant recalculation of the charts.
>
> Any way to fix this, different types of settings, etc.?
>
> Thanks.

What makes you think the charts are constantly recalculating and what is the
file size?

stef

      19th Apr 2011
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 23:50:23 +0100, Victor Delta wrote:

> What makes you think the charts are constantly recalculating and what is
> the file size?

The file size is a problem as I noticed it is 14MB (!). I cannot
understand why so large. I do have lots of data points but still.

What makes me feel the charts are constantly recalculating is:
- sluggishness; cannot use mouse/keyboards "freeze" during recalculations
- message in Excel status bar saying: calculating cells X% (that number
converges to 100% and restarts immediately at lower number, reconverges
slowly to 100%, restarts, etc.)
- the lines on the charts seem to be constantly refreshing and re-painting

Victor Delta

      19th Apr 2011
"stef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iojfif$88l$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 23:50:23 +0100, Victor Delta wrote:
>
>> What makes you think the charts are constantly recalculating and what is
>> the file size?

> The file size is a problem as I noticed it is 14MB (!). I cannot
> understand why so large. I do have lots of data points but still.
>
> What makes me feel the charts are constantly recalculating is:
> - sluggishness; cannot use mouse/keyboards "freeze" during recalculations
> - message in Excel status bar saying: calculating cells X% (that number
> converges to 100% and restarts immediately at lower number, reconverges
> slowly to 100%, restarts, etc.)
> - the lines on the charts seem to be constantly refreshing and re-painting

That's a large file and I suspect it could be the cause of the slow running,
sluggishness etc.

There could be a number of reasons for the large file. This page has a
number of good suggestions for reducing the file size
http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelProblems.htm

stef

      21st Apr 2011
On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 23:43:16 +0100, Victor Delta wrote:

> That's a large file and I suspect it could be the cause of the slow
> running, sluggishness etc.
>
> There could be a number of reasons for the large file. This page has a
> number of good suggestions for reducing the file size
> http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelProblems.htm

Yes, I've never had such large files, something is amiss.
I will check the link you posted and revert here. Tx.

stef

      21st Apr 2011
On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 23:43:16 +0100, Victor Delta wrote:

> That's a large file and I suspect it could be the cause of the slow
> running, sluggishness etc.
>
> There could be a number of reasons for the large file. This page has a
> number of good suggestions for reducing the file size
> http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelProblems.htm

No help with that link.

I suspect the file must have gotten corrupted; it shouldn't be this
large.....

Victor Delta

      22nd Apr 2011
"stef" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ioph9o$v1a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 23:43:16 +0100, Victor Delta wrote:
>
>> That's a large file and I suspect it could be the cause of the slow
>> running, sluggishness etc.
>>
>> There could be a number of reasons for the large file. This page has a
>> number of good suggestions for reducing the file size
>> http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelProblems.htm

> No help with that link.
>
> I suspect the file must have gotten corrupted; it shouldn't be this
> large.....

I assume it doesn't contain any pictures...?

If not, you could try copying each worksheet to a new workbook and see how
that goes.

stef

      28th Apr 2011
On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 23:21:21 +0100, Victor Delta wrote:

> I assume it doesn't contain any pictures...?
>
> If not, you could try copying each worksheet to a new workbook and see
> how that goes.

I have done that but the new workbook is 12MB's anyway so really dt nkow.
Perhaps some corruption there.

I may have to rebuild form scratch perhaps.

Only "pictures" are the excel charts.

Bruce Sinclair

      2nd May 2011
In article <ipbl87$8s3$(E-Mail Removed)>, stef <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 23:21:21 +0100, Victor Delta wrote:
>

>> I assume it doesn't contain any pictures...?
>>
>> If not, you could try copying each worksheet to a new workbook and see
>> how that goes.

>I have done that but the new workbook is 12MB's anyway so really dt nkow.
>Perhaps some corruption there.
>
>I may have to rebuild form scratch perhaps.
>
>Only "pictures" are the excel charts.

In at least some versions of XL, a number of charts (more than about 12 in
some cases ?) will slow the spreadsheet to an effective stop. Try removing
some of them (particularly any with lots of points ?), and see if that
speeds things up ?

Best of luck.

stef

      4th May 2011
On Mon, 02 May 2011 04:13:01 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> In at least some versions of XL, a number of charts (more than about 12
> in some cases ?) will slow the spreadsheet to an effective stop. Try
> removing some of them (particularly any with lots of points ?), and see
> if that speeds things up ?

I can try that as well, but I think the file must have gotten corrupt....