Chart Templates in Excel 2007

Miles

      11th Apr 2007
I am trying to make a chart template to draw an xy scatter plot using two
columns. I follow the instructions on p. 410 of John Walkenbach's new book.
It does make a template. The problem is that when I use two new columns of
data, select them both and call the template it plots them both as if they
were y variables against an x axis of 0-n (where n is the number of data
points). If I select only the y variable, it plots it against an x axis of
0-n.

This worked in Excel 2003. why not now?

John Walkenbach

      12th Apr 2007
I've noticed the same thing, but too late to include the solution in
Excel 2007 Bible.

You can force Excel 2007 to use the correct data by providing a series
name above the Y data only (no series name for the X data). When you
create the chart from the template, start by select the data range,
including the Y series name. This wasn't required in Excel 2003.

If both series have a name, or neither of the series has a name then
Excel will plot the data as two series.

-John