Changing XP Network setting from MSHOME to WORKGROUP

CD

      29th Oct 2009
I have an XP PC which I wantt to network with a Vista PC.

I have follwed the XP Network Set Up wizard and change the workgroup name
from MSHOME to WORKGROUP. The Vista machine sees the XP machine, all is well
until I switch the PC's off. Then the XP resets itself to MSHOME.

How can I make the XP machine default to WORKGROUP?

Thank you

smlunatick

      29th Oct 2009
On Oct 29, 4:08*pm, CD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have an XP PC which I wantt to network with a Vista PC.
>
> I have follwed the XP Network Set Up wizard and change the workgroup name
> from MSHOME to WORKGROUP. *The Vista machine sees the XP machine, all is well
> until I switch the PC's off. *Then the XP resets itself to MSHOME.
>
> How can I make the XP machine default to WORKGROUP?
>
> Thank you

Right click on My Computer icon

Select Properties

Select Computer Name "tab"

Look for: To rename this computer or join a domain, Click Change

Click on Change "button"

In the "Workgroup" box, change the workgroup name.

CD

      29th Oct 2009
Dear smlunatic,

No luck. I right clicked on My Computer and selected Properties. On the
Computer name tab the Computer Description is "Client". The full computer
name is "client.WORKGROUP" and the Workgroup name is "WORKGROUP".

On Computer name changes the computer name is "client" and Workgroup name is
"WORKGROUP" Going to More.. the Primary DNS suffix is "WORKGROUP" and
NetBIOS computer name is "Client".

I have searched evrywhere but cannot find MSHOME; if I could I would try to
change it.

Where does MSHOME come from?

Thanks for your help.

CD

"smlunatick" wrote:

> On Oct 29, 4:08 pm, CD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I have an XP PC which I wantt to network with a Vista PC.
> >
> > I have follwed the XP Network Set Up wizard and change the workgroup name
> > from MSHOME to WORKGROUP. The Vista machine sees the XP machine, all is well
> > until I switch the PC's off. Then the XP resets itself to MSHOME.
> >
> > How can I make the XP machine default to WORKGROUP?
> >
> > Thank you

> Right click on My Computer icon
>
> Select Properties
>
> Select Computer Name "tab"
>
> Look for: To rename this computer or join a domain, Click Change
>
> Click on Change "button"
>
> In the "Workgroup" box, change the workgroup name.
> .
> Dear

smlunatick

      29th Oct 2009
On Oct 29, 7:11*pm, CD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Dear smlunatic,
>
> No luck. *I right clicked on My Computer and selected Properties. *Onthe
> Computer name tab the Computer Description is "Client". *The full computer
> name is "client.WORKGROUP" and the Workgroup name is "WORKGROUP".
>
> On Computer name changes the computer name is "client" and Workgroup nameis
> "WORKGROUP" *Going to More.. *the Primary DNS suffix is "WORKGROUP" and
> NetBIOS computer name is "Client".
>
> I have searched evrywhere but cannot find MSHOME; if I could I would try to
> change it.
>
> Where does MSHOME come from?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> CD
>
> "smlunatick" wrote:
> > On Oct 29, 4:08 pm, CD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > I have an XP PC which I wantt to network with a Vista PC.

> > > I have follwed the XP Network Set Up wizard and change the workgroup name
> > > from MSHOME to WORKGROUP. *The Vista machine sees the XP machine, all is well
> > > until I switch the PC's off. *Then the XP resets itself to MSHOME.

> > > How can I make the XP machine default to WORKGROUP?

> > > Thank you

> > Right click on My Computer icon

> > Select Properties

> > Select Computer Name "tab"

> > Look for: *To rename this computer or join a domain, Click Change

> > Click on Change "button"

> > In the "Workgroup" box, change the workgroup name.
> > .
> > Dear

MSHOME workgroup appears to be hard coded within the Network wizard
set up.

Have you consider trying changing the Vista Workgroup???

Bernd

      29th Oct 2009

> MSHOME workgroup appears to be hard coded within the Network wizard
> set up.

NO, Sir !

I (and others) had no problem with Network Setup Wizard setting another
workgroup name.

Could the "reset" be the result of so called "security" software ?

Bernd

CD

      30th Oct 2009

I don't think so. I am running AVG Free and tried to turn that off, went
through the Network Set Up wizard with no improvement The workgroup went
back to MSHOME.

Thanks for the suggestion.

CD
"Bernd" wrote:

> > MSHOME workgroup appears to be hard coded within the Network wizard
> > set up.
> >

> NO, Sir !
>
> I (and others) had no problem with Network Setup Wizard setting another
> workgroup name.
>
> Could the "reset" be the result of so called "security" software ?
>
> Bernd
> .

John John - MVP

      30th Oct 2009
I don't know but as a rule computer names should not contain more than
15 characters and the use of periods (.) is discouraged. You should
start by giving more appropriate names to the computers and then reboot
the machines and then try again to rename the workgroup, all of this can
be done in the System Properties Computer Name tab.

John