Changing USB drive letter

Roy

      22nd Jun 2008
Hello group
Recently I was dismayed why my USB drive was not recognized anymore
by window explorer. Therefore if I plug it on the USB slot it does
nothing. I searched the web for some ideas and came from this fellow
which states:\

'A user of a company I know recently told me the following experience
he had with a USB flash drive. The user traveled a lot and had a
laptop that he used to connect to the company's network when he was in
the office. And he was used to plugging his flash drive into the USB
slot on his laptop so he could transfer files to another machine he
used at home. But one day he came into the office, connected his
laptop to the network, plugged in the flash drive and nothing happened
-- normally an Explorer window would open displaying the contents of
the drive. This was disconcerting, so he opened My Computer and
discovered that the USB drive wasn't there. Puzzled by this, he took
out another flash drive from his pocket and tried it, and this time it
worked fine so he knew at least the problem wasn't with his computer.
He was just about resigned to throwing out his first drive when he
decided to send me a quick email detailing the problem. My immediate
reaction too was that it was that the drive had failed, but then I
thought about it some more. One of the key steps in troubleshooting
problems is to ask what just happened. The drive failure had occurred
after he connected his machine to the network, so could it be an issue
with the network? I emailed back and suggested he disconnect his
laptop from the network and try the flash drive again, and a short
time later I received an email saying the drive now worked!
Then it dawned on me. I told him to remove the drive, connect to the
network and open My Computer again and look for something different.
He did this and told me there was a new mapped network drive that he
hadn't seen before. Aha! The network administrator must have modified
their logon script to map a new drive on users' computers, and this
new mapped drive probably assigned the very same drive letter that
this particular user's laptop had previously assigned to his first USB
drive. I told him to plug the USB drive in again, open Computer
Management, and change the drive letter of the USB drive. He did this,
and right away an Explorer window opened displaying the contents of
his USB drive. Problem solved'

Since I have never done such things these ideas sound strange to me.
Meaning if the drive is malfunctioning it might have something to do
with such and not a hardware fault.
Although I was not using a laptop but just a desktop PC.

I did found the computer management ( local) and had viewed the disk
management on the right pane.
Indeed there are letters that indicates one drive say for example
Drive D and drive C which is easier tounderstand as well asthe Drive E
and F and so forth. Previously the Flash drive was recognized as
Drive G and J as well as drive H for another External hard drive.
But now it does not recognized my flash drive.
What I don't understand is why window explorer does not recognize my
USB flash drive but still do with the other drives.

Early this morning I was plugging these drives to the networked
computer in the internet cafe and immediately it was not recognized
and this kept me worried so when I arrived home I immediately plugged
it and there the flash drive is not functioning or being recognized
anymore.
Could somebody offer me their advice how to sort this out

What is going on?

TIA
Roy

Paul

      22nd Jun 2008
Roy wrote:
> [...]
> management on the right pane.
> Indeed there are letters that indicates one drive say for example
> Drive D and drive C which is easier tounderstand as well asthe Drive E
> and F and so forth. Previously the Flash drive was recognized as
> Drive G and J as well as drive H for another External hard drive.
> But now it does not recognized my flash drive.
> What I don't understand is why window explorer does not recognize my
> USB flash drive but still do with the other drives.
>
> Early this morning I was plugging these drives to the networked
> computer in the internet cafe and immediately it was not recognized
> and this kept me worried so when I arrived home I immediately plugged
> it and there the flash drive is not functioning or being recognized
> anymore.
> Could somebody offer me their advice how to sort this out

Uwe Sieber has a web site, with that kind of information on it.

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_e.html

From a hardware perspective, you can verify that the plugged in
device is being detected (communicated with), via UVCView program
from Microsoft. (Use the upper right hand link, to download an
executable for Windows 32 bit OS.) This is an archived web page,
as Microsoft has taken down the download page. There have been
several versions of programs that look like this one, and so far,
this one is the most capable. (Some of the originals, had limits
on the number of ports they could handle.)

http://web.archive.org/web/200705160...VCViewdwn.mspx

If the physical layer is working, and the USB device can be
enumerated, and fill the window with data, then the problem
must be at a higher level in software. (In the picture here,
you can see VID/PID 0x0ECD 0xA100 device has been detected, and
the presence of the Endpoint Descriptor presumably means a
communications path is set up.)

http://www.die.de/blog/content/binary/usbview.png

For resetting the USB stack, usbman.com has a page describing a
procedure to do in safe mode. But this doesn't necessarily fix
everything. There are also instances where a driver cache is
corrupted, or the registry is locked to updates, that might
cause a procedure like this to not fix anything. But in those
cases, searching on the exact error text, will likely lead you
in the right direction.

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup...afe%20Mode.htm

HTH,
Paul

Roy

      22nd Jun 2008
On Jun 22, 4:04*pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> on the number of ports they could handle.)
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/200705160...crosoft.com/wh...
>
> If the physical layer is working, and the USB device can be
> enumerated, and fill the window with data, then the problem
> must be at a higher level in software. (In the picture here,
> you can see VID/PID 0x0ECD 0xA100 device has been detected, and
> the presence of the Endpoint Descriptor presumably means a
> communications path is set up.)
>
> http://www.die.de/blog/content/binary/usbview.png
>
> For resetting the USB stack, usbman.com has a page describing a
> procedure to do in safe mode. But this doesn't necessarily fix
> everything. There are also instances where a driver cache is
> corrupted, or the registry is locked to updates, that might
> cause a procedure like this to not fix anything. But in those
> cases, searching on the exact error text, will likely lead you

Thanks !. sounds complicated and Microsoft is cautious about
installing hotfixes which may not be the solution to the problem
I did try to follow a certain procedure
http://www.port-huron.k12.mi.us/tech...leshooting.pdf
But it when I right my computer- choose manage- Storage- disk
management
Then I right clicked the listed removable disk then change drive
letter and paths
And want to assign a new drive letter.
I was given a warning that changing the drive letter might cause
problem that the hardware connected might no longer run so stopped
there.
I also tried to create another drive letter but it says the letter was
not recognized.
Creating a new folder needs that you need another path, but when I
browsed I only find that there are two path- the C and D drive.
So I got lost here and would need some suggestion from people that are
familiar with this methods.
Thank You!

Paul

      22nd Jun 2008
Roy wrote:
> [...]

> installing hotfixes which may not be the solution to the problem
> I did try to follow a certain procedure
> http://www.port-huron.k12.mi.us/tech...leshooting.pdf
> But it when I right my computer- choose manage- Storage- disk
> management
> Then I right clicked the listed removable disk then change drive
> letter and paths
> And want to assign a new drive letter.
> I was given a warning that changing the drive letter might cause
> problem that the hardware connected might no longer run so stopped
> there.
> I also tried to create another drive letter but it says the letter was
> not recognized.
> Creating a new folder needs that you need another path, but when I
> browsed I only find that there are two path- the C and D drive.
> So I got lost here and would need some suggestion from people that are

Have a look at this page. The Drive Letter Manager
might be able to change a USB drive letter for you.
I haven't used it, because I don't have any USB flash
devices here.

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

Paul

Roy

      22nd Jun 2008
On Jun 22, 6:50*pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Roy wrote:
> >> Uwe Sieber has a web site, with that kind of information on it.

> >>http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_e.html

> >> *From a hardware perspective, you can verify that the plugged in
> >> device is being detected (communicated with), via UVCView program
> >> from Microsoft. (Use the upper right hand link, to download an
> >> executable for Windows 32 bit OS.) This is an archived web page,
> >> as Microsoft has taken down the download page. There have been
> >> several versions of programs that look like this one, and so far,
> >> this one is the most capable. (Some of the originals, had limits
> >> on the number of ports they could handle.)

> >>http://web.archive.org/web/200705160...crosoft.com/wh....

> >> If the physical layer is working, and the USB device can be
> >> enumerated, and fill the window with data, then the problem
> >> must be at a higher level in software. (In the picture here,
> >> you can see VID/PID 0x0ECD 0xA100 device has been detected, and
> >> the presence of the Endpoint Descriptor presumably means a
> >> communications path is set up.)

> >>http://www.die.de/blog/content/binary/usbview.png

> >> For resetting the USB stack, usbman.com has a page describing a
> >> procedure to do in safe mode. But this doesn't necessarily fix
> >> everything. There are also instances where a driver cache is
> >> corrupted, or the registry is locked to updates, that might
> >> cause a procedure like this to not fix anything. But in those
> >> cases, searching on the exact error text, will likely lead you
> >> in the right direction.

> >>http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup...%20Safe%20Mode....

> >> HTH,
> >> * * *Paul- Hide quoted text -

> > Thanks !. sounds complicated and Microsoft is cautious about
> > installing hotfixes which may not be the solution to the problem
> > I did try to follow a certain procedure
> >http://www.port-huron.k12.mi.us/tech...bflashdrivetro...
> > But it when I right my computer- choose manage- Storage- disk
> > management
> > Then I right clicked the listed removable disk then change drive
> > letter and paths
> > And want to assign a new drive letter.
> > I was given a warning that *changing the drive letter might cause
> > problem that the hardware connected might no longer run so *stopped
> > there.
> > I also tried to create another drive letter but it says the letter was
> > not recognized.
> > Creating a new folder *needs that you need another path, but when I
> > browsed I only find that there are two path- the C and D drive.
> > So I got lost here and would need some suggestion from people that are
> > familiar with this methods.
> > Thank You!

> Have a look at this page. The Drive Letter Manager
> might be able to change a USB drive letter for you.
> I haven't used it, because I don't have any USB flash
> devices here.
>
> http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html
>
> * * Paul- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, I will have to read first the literature about its use.
BTW, is there anybody here have experience about USB drive
overvoltage? What I mean I am not discounting the fact that the
desktopPc might have fried circuitry and this is an additional worry
for me. I was thinking that some computers might have higher USB
voltage rating for USBs than laptops?
Is there a likelihood for such to happen?
I just hope that this hardware is still intact...

Paul

      23rd Jun 2008
Roy wrote:
> On Jun 22, 6:50 pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Roy wrote:
>>> Thanks !. sounds complicated and Microsoft is cautious about
>>> installing hotfixes which may not be the solution to the problem
>>> I did try to follow a certain procedure
>>> http://www.port-huron.k12.mi.us/tech...bflashdrivetro...
>>> But it when I right my computer- choose manage- Storage- disk
>>> management
>>> Then I right clicked the listed removable disk then change drive
>>> letter and paths
>>> And want to assign a new drive letter.
>>> I was given a warning that changing the drive letter might cause
>>> problem that the hardware connected might no longer run so stopped
>>> there.
>>> I also tried to create another drive letter but it says the letter was
>>> not recognized.
>>> Creating a new folder needs that you need another path, but when I
>>> browsed I only find that there are two path- the C and D drive.
>>> So I got lost here and would need some suggestion from people that are
>>> familiar with this methods.
>>> Thank You!

>> Have a look at this page. The Drive Letter Manager
>> might be able to change a USB drive letter for you.
>> I haven't used it, because I don't have any USB flash
>> devices here.
>>
>> http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html
>>
>> Paul- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks, I will have to read first the literature about its use.
> BTW, is there anybody here have experience about USB drive
> overvoltage? What I mean I am not discounting the fact that the
> desktopPc might have fried circuitry and this is an additional worry
> for me. I was thinking that some computers might have higher USB
> voltage rating for USBs than laptops?
> Is there a likelihood for such to happen?
> I just hope that this hardware is still intact...

The USB connector consists of +5V, GND, D+, and D-. Two power
signals and two data signals. The power level is a standard, whether
desktop or laptop. A high power device may draw up to 500mA of
current, and the total maximum power of 2.5 watts is just enough
to operate a modern 2.5" hard drive.

A USB device can be damaged by handling, such as dropped and broken.
Or static discharge could damage a device. But the
operating voltage should be the same on each computer. And
the connectors seem to be well designed, at least compared to
some more problematic connectors (Firewire).

The reason I wanted you to use UVCView, is to see if any low
level communication was happening or not. If there are no
endpoints and no enumeration data being shown, for a plugged
in USB device, it could be a hardware issue. If the right hand
window in UVCView has data in it, then there is hope that the
USB device is not completely dead.

The foreign computer could also have malware or a virus on it,
and a software like that might erase the flash device. I suppose
a device could be "killed" by being reconfigured, but I don't understand
how those tools work. It is possible to change the declared size
of a USB flash device (fraudsters on Ebay do that), so there is
some kind of interface to USB flash sticks, that hackers understand.

The only "frying" I've heard of, is Intel ICH5/ICH5R Southbridge
chips, can have their USB ports fail. When that happens, all the
USB ports on the computer, fail to operate. No plugged in device
will be recognized at all. You would not see any activity in UVCView.
In extreme cases, there will be a burn mark on the Southbridge chip on the
motherboard. But many of the ones reported to have
failed, don't have the burn mark - and that is good, because
if the chip is not burned by the failure, the computer
continues to be bootable. When it burns, it is finished, and
won't boot again. (I get to worry about this, because I have
that chip on my motherboard :-) )

Paul

Roy

      27th Jun 2008
On Jun 23, 8:03*am, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Roy wrote:
> >> Have a look at this page. The Drive Letter Manager
> >> might be able to change a USB drive letter for you.
> >> I haven't used it, because I don't have any USB flash
> >> devices here.

> >>http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

> >> * * Paul- Hide quoted text -

> > Thanks, I will have to read first the literature about its use.
> > BTW, is there anybody here have experience about USB drive
> > overvoltage? What I mean I am not discounting the fact that the
> > desktopPc might have fried circuitry *and this is an additional worry
> > for me. I was thinking that *some computers might have higher USB
> > voltage rating for USBs than laptops?
> > Is there a likelihood for such to happen?
> > I just hope that this hardware is still intact...

> The USB connector consists of +5V, GND, D+, and D-. Two power
> signals and two data signals. The power level is a standard, whether
> desktop or laptop. A high power device may draw up to 500mA of
> current, and the total maximum power of 2.5 watts is just enough
> to operate a modern 2.5" hard drive.
>
> A USB device can be damaged by handling, such as dropped and broken.
> Or static discharge could damage a device. But the
> operating voltage should be the same on each computer. And
> the connectors seem to be well designed, at least compared to
> some more problematic connectors (Firewire).
>
> The reason I wanted you to use UVCView, is to see if any low
> level communication was happening or not. If there are no
> endpoints and no enumeration data being shown, for a plugged
> in USB device, it could be a hardware issue. If the right hand
> window in UVCView has data in it, then there is hope that the
> USB device is not completely dead.
>
> The foreign computer could also have malware or a virus on it,
> and a software like that might erase the flash device. I suppose
> a device could be "killed" by being reconfigured, but I don't understand
> how those tools work. It is possible to change the declared size
> of a USB flash device (fraudsters on Ebay do that), so there is
> some kind of interface to USB flash sticks, that hackers understand.
>
> The only "frying" I've heard of, is Intel ICH5/ICH5R Southbridge
> chips, can have their USB ports fail. When that happens, all the
> USB ports on the computer, fail to operate. No plugged in device
> will be recognized at all. You would not see any activity in UVCView.
> In extreme cases, there will be a burn mark on the Southbridge chip on the
> motherboard. But many of the ones reported to have
> failed, don't have the burn mark - and that is good, because
> if the chip is not burned by the failure, the computer
> continues to be bootable. When it burns, it is finished, and
> won't boot again. (I get to worry about this, because I have
> that chip on my motherboard :-) )
>
> * * Paul- Hide quoted text -

Hello Paul...sorry for the delay, been very busy the last several days
to visit newsgroups. I did try to download the UVC view.x86.exe. but
never been able to finish downloading this file as it tends to hang up
when its about 65-77% of the program has been downloaded. And it
cannot be refreshed either as it just start from the beginning. I have
done this so many times....but failed.
Therefore I can't evaluate my USB drive.
Is there any mirror for these site?
BTW, I was starting to think about the efffect of static electricity
on some computer hardware and got worried that this particular flash
drive got it.
The PC that I plugged my USB ( i found out later was home built). What
is your opinion on this?
Thanks
Roy

Paul

      28th Jun 2008
Roy wrote:
> [...]

>> won't boot again. (I get to worry about this, because I have
>> that chip on my motherboard :-) )
>>
>> Paul- Hide quoted text -

> Hello Paul...sorry for the delay, been very busy the last several days
> to visit newsgroups. I did try to download the UVC view.x86.exe. but
> never been able to finish downloading this file as it tends to hang up
> when its about 65-77% of the program has been downloaded. And it
> cannot be refreshed either as it just start from the beginning. I have
> done this so many times....but failed.
> Therefore I can't evaluate my USB drive.
> Is there any mirror for these site?
> BTW, I was starting to think about the efffect of static electricity
> on some computer hardware and got worried that this particular flash
> drive got it.
> The PC that I plugged my USB ( i found out later was home built). What

If the PC is home built, there is a small chance the port is miswired.
But the owner would have his/her pile of dead USB devices, if that
were the case.

As for UVCView, the page used to be on the Microsoft site, and was probably
there for a while. It could have been part of some SDK or kit that goes
with a Microsoft product, so there are alternate ways to get the tool.
I was surprised to find that the page was still available on web.archive.org ,
so I've been pointing people there to get a copy.

For the download link itself, this would be the index page. The archive.org
site took snapshots five times. And what usually happens, is it actually only
archives one copy (as long as the other four are detected to be duplicates).
So clicking any one of the five links here, should start a download. Maybe
you'll get lucky.

http://web.archive.org/*/http://down...VCView.x86.exe

I clicked on the May 9, 2006 link just now. There was a slight pause, before
the dialog came up to save the file. The file downloaded in about five seconds,
and file size is 167,231 bytes. I have another copy which is 167,232 bytes.
Both seem to work OK. The bigger file has an extra 0x00 byte at the end of
the file. The above executable will run the program immediately, without
installing anything.

Good luck,
Paul

Roy

      28th Jun 2008
On Jun 28, 8:51*am, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> so I've been pointing people there to get a copy.
>
> For the download link itself, this would be the index page. The archive.org
> site took snapshots five times. And what usually happens, is it actually only
> archives one copy (as long as the other four are detected to be duplicates).
> So clicking any one of the five links here, should start a download. Maybe
> you'll get lucky.
>
> http://web.archive.org/*/http://down...download/e/b/a...
>
> I clicked on the May 9, 2006 link just now. There was a slight pause, before
> the dialog came up to save the file. The file downloaded in about five seconds,
> and file size is 167,231 bytes. I have another copy which is 167,232 bytes.
> Both seem to work OK. The bigger file has an extra 0x00 byte at the end of
> the file. The above executable will run the program immediately, without

Hello Paul
I was able to downloaded the file and immediately run it but
regardless if the USBflash drive plugged is suspected to be defective
or intact , it does not react...Is there a special way to run this
software?
Thanks
Roy

Paul

      28th Jun 2008
Roy wrote:

> Hello Paul
> I was able to downloaded the file and immediately run it but
> regardless if the USBflash drive plugged is suspected to be defective
> or intact , it does not react...Is there a special way to run this
> software?
> Thanks
> Roy

If there is no reaction, then the USB flash is dead. It could be that
there is a break in where the connector meets the PCB, inside the flash
packaging.

You should also test, with a known to be working USB device. That
will demonstrate how the program is supposed to work, and also prove
there isn't a problem with the USB ports on the computer you are
using for this testing.

I also use a couple Linux LiveCD distributions, for hardware testing.
Knoppix (knopper.net) and Ubuntu (ubuntu.com), can be booted from
their respective CDs, without installing any software on the hard
drive. Using programs like dmesg, lspci, and lsusb in Linux, you
can list/enumerate the hardware that the OS can "see". But UVCView
should be doing the same thing, with a much smaller investment
in time and effort. Those Linux distributions, are a 700MB download.
Any time I need to prove "it's a hardware problem", I boot one of
the Linux CDs, and see if the symptoms look the same. For example,
my first computer had a video (AGP) problem, and the symptoms
existed in both Windows and Linux.

Paul