Changing the Screen View from Portrait to Landscape

stomison

      16th Sep 2003
How do you change the monitor view from the normal view
to having the screen give a landscape view on the
monitor. This is not for printing, but for flipping the
normal view so it can give a whole legal page view on the
monitor. Need a short cut for XP thanks stomison

SunSpot

      16th Sep 2003
You have to have a monitor that supports rotating,
and the monitors that do support rotating usually come with their
own software to allow the screen to rotate with the monitor.
You can try http://ie2.portrait.com/ . for the software if you already have
the monitor.

"stomison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0b6a01c37c88$646bd1d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do you change the monitor view from the normal view
> to having the screen give a landscape view on the
> monitor. This is not for printing, but for flipping the
> normal view so it can give a whole legal page view on the
> monitor. Need a short cut for XP thanks stomison

Chris Jackson

      16th Sep 2003
Some drivers support this as well. I know that my NVidia drivers allow me to
rotate the screen, even though my monitor is of the run-of-the-mill variety.

--
Chris Jackson
Software Engineer
"SunSpot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> You have to have a monitor that supports rotating,
> and the monitors that do support rotating usually come with their
> own software to allow the screen to rotate with the monitor.
> You can try http://ie2.portrait.com/ . for the software if you already

have
> the monitor.
>

> "stomison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0b6a01c37c88$646bd1d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How do you change the monitor view from the normal view
> > to having the screen give a landscape view on the
> > monitor. This is not for printing, but for flipping the
> > normal view so it can give a whole legal page view on the
> > monitor. Need a short cut for XP thanks stomison

Homer J. Simpson

      16th Sep 2003
"SunSpot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> You have to have a monitor that supports rotating,

? I thought this was strictly a driver thing. For one, I have some
monitors that are so old they were definitely *not* designed to support
rotating, yet through the functions exposed by the driver it works just
fine.

Software-wise, why should a monitor need to be designed for it?

SunSpot

      17th Sep 2003
The monitors I have seen were not designed to accommodate software, the
software was written to accommodate the monitors. When you rotated the
monitor, the view on the screen automatically rotates with it, If the
monitor does not have the sensors/switches built in, there is no way for a
driver to tell which way it is pointing.

I have not seen any drivers that support rotating a standard monitor , but I
will take your word for it.
But like I said, if you do just use a driver solution, you have to change
the orientation of the screen manually. The rotating monitors work with
their software to change the screen as you move the monitor itself, no
software settings need to be made.

As for the OP, it looks like he is going to have to either get a new monitor
or a new video card.
Maybe Chris can let us know which card he is using, might be worth looking
into.

news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> "SunSpot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You have to have a monitor that supports rotating,

> ? I thought this was strictly a driver thing. For one, I have some
> monitors that are so old they were definitely *not* designed to support
> rotating, yet through the functions exposed by the driver it works just
> fine.
>
> Software-wise, why should a monitor need to be designed for it?

Homer J. Simpson

      17th Sep 2003
"SunSpot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The monitors I have seen were not designed to accommodate software, the
> software was written to accommodate the monitors. When you rotated the
> monitor, the view on the screen automatically rotates with it, If the
> monitor does not have the sensors/switches built in, there is no way for a
> driver to tell which way it is pointing.

Ah, I see what you're saying. But no, what I use is strictly implemented in
drivers (I have a GF4 Ti4400), so the monitor absolutely and positively does
not matter; it's like using the rotate function in a paint program and
applying that to the normal output before it's rendered...the hardware, nor
any other software, does not care. Of course the driver itself knows
nothing about the actual, physical orientation of the monitor...

> I have not seen any drivers that support rotating a standard monitor , but

> will take your word for it.
> But like I said, if you do just use a driver solution, you have to change
> the orientation of the screen manually. The rotating monitors work with
> their software to change the screen as you move the monitor itself, no
> software settings need to be made.

Sounds gimmicky. How often does one change the orientation anyway? The
Nvidia drivers rotate the output on my old el-cheapo 19" CRT as well as it
does my 18" and 15" LCDs, none of which were designed for running on their
sides.

SunSpot

      17th Sep 2003

> "SunSpot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The monitors I have seen were not designed to accommodate software, the
> > software was written to accommodate the monitors. When you rotated the
> > monitor, the view on the screen automatically rotates with it, If the
> > monitor does not have the sensors/switches built in, there is no way for

> > driver to tell which way it is pointing.

> Ah, I see what you're saying. But no, what I use is strictly implemented

in
> drivers (I have a GF4 Ti4400), so the monitor absolutely and positively

does
> not matter; it's like using the rotate function in a paint program and
> applying that to the normal output before it's rendered...the hardware,

nor
> any other software, does not care. Of course the driver itself knows
> nothing about the actual, physical orientation of the monitor...

Cool!.
That could be useful with an LCD monitor, especially if it was mounted to a
swivel wall mount.
(DAMN, more money to spend!) ;-)

> > I have not seen any drivers that support rotating a standard monitor ,

but
> > will take your word for it.
> > But like I said, if you do just use a driver solution, you have to

change
> > the orientation of the screen manually. The rotating monitors work with
> > their software to change the screen as you move the monitor itself, no
> > software settings need to be made.

> Sounds gimmicky. How often does one change the orientation anyway? The
> Nvidia drivers rotate the output on my old el-cheapo 19" CRT as well as it
> does my 18" and 15" LCDs, none of which were designed for running on their
> sides.

Actually my bud who has a swival monitor uses it all the time.
He uses landscape for playing most games, then switches to portrait
for browsing the web or working on word docs.
Now if some one would only make it easy to rotate a 42" Plasma!