Changing Report Printer - Access 2007

Michael J. Strickland

      8th Nov 2007
Anyone know how to change the printer associated with a report in Access
2007?

Everytime I change the printer for a report, it reverts back to the Windows
default printer.

I know I can set the desired printer as the Windows default but I have
hundreds of reports designed to use various different printers and doing
this for each one is impossible.

This behavior is new with Access 2007. Prior to this (Access 97, 2002, 2003
....) you could set different printers for different reports.

Acess 2007 appears to provides this capability (in page setup) but it just
doesn't take when you set it.

Michael J. Strickland
Quality Services (E-Mail Removed)
703-560-7380

Allen Browne

      9th Nov 2007
Yes, Michael, this is a bug in Access 2007.
It does not retain the printer you specify for the report.
Hopefully MS will fix this when they release SP1 for Office 2007.

In the mean time, you can work around the problem by setting the Printer
object before you open the report. There's a utility that does that (and
remembers which printer to use for each report) here:
Printer Selection Utility - Users assign printers to reports
at:
http://allenbrowne.com/AppPrintMgt.html
The utility was designed to solve a different problem, but it does serve as
a workaround in 2007.

More info about adapting to the new version, including bugs you may need to
be awarey of:
http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html

"Michael J. Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Anyone know how to change the printer associated with a report in Access
> 2007?
>
> Everytime I change the printer for a report, it reverts back to the
> Windows default printer.
>
> I know I can set the desired printer as the Windows default but I have
> hundreds of reports designed to use various different printers and doing
> this for each one is impossible.
>
> This behavior is new with Access 2007. Prior to this (Access 97, 2002,
> 2003 ...) you could set different printers for different reports.
>
> Acess 2007 appears to provides this capability (in page setup) but it just
> doesn't take when you set it.

> Michael J. Strickland
> Quality Services (E-Mail Removed)
> 703-560-7380

Michael J. Strickland

      9th Nov 2007
Thanks Allen.

I just found a work-around that requires no code however on

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...6031033.aspx#4

at the bottom of the page under:
"Start the Page Setup dialog box from the Print Preview tab"

Apparently, the printer setting is changeable from the
"Print Preview" menu (Rt Click the report, Select "Print Preview").

From here the "Page Setup" button works correctly.

There is still the problem of assigning a printer to the report
object in VBA code (it is now a read only property), however at least
I dont have to keep changing my Windows default printer now.

Michael J. Strickland
Quality Services (E-Mail Removed)
703-560-7380
"Allen Browne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, Michael, this is a bug in Access 2007.
> It does not retain the printer you specify for the report.
> Hopefully MS will fix this when they release SP1 for Office 2007.
>
> In the mean time, you can work around the problem by setting the Printer
> object before you open the report. There's a utility that does that (and
> remembers which printer to use for each report) here:
> Printer Selection Utility - Users assign printers to reports
> at:
> http://allenbrowne.com/AppPrintMgt.html
> The utility was designed to solve a different problem, but it does serve
> as a workaround in 2007.
>
> More info about adapting to the new version, including bugs you may need
> to be awarey of:
> http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html
>
> --
> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia
>
> "Michael J. Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Anyone know how to change the printer associated with a report in Access
>> 2007?
>>
>> Everytime I change the printer for a report, it reverts back to the
>> Windows default printer.
>>
>> I know I can set the desired printer as the Windows default but I have
>> hundreds of reports designed to use various different printers and doing
>> this for each one is impossible.
>>
>> This behavior is new with Access 2007. Prior to this (Access 97, 2002,
>> 2003 ...) you could set different printers for different reports.
>>
>> Acess 2007 appears to provides this capability (in page setup) but it
>> just doesn't take when you set it.
>>

>> --
>> Michael J. Strickland
>> Quality Services (E-Mail Removed)
>> 703-560-7380

Allen Browne

      10th Nov 2007
Yes: you can change printers at print time via Print Preview, if that's
adequate.

(Of course, that's not the same as setting up the report to always go to
that printer.)