Changing the Default Icon

OREALLY

      13th Sep 2009

I know you can change an icon for a file type in folder options etc. But
what about changing the DEFAULT ICON for a file type for any given program?
Any way to do this in XP?

Oreally

Rich Barry

      13th Sep 2009
See if this helps any.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310192

"OREALLY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know you can change an icon for a file type in folder options etc. But
>what about changing the DEFAULT ICON for a file type for any given program?
> Any way to do this in XP?
>
> Oreally

OREALLY

      14th Sep 2009
Thanks.....but I'm referring to default file icons....so as to prevent
programs from changing your favorite icons assigned to these files when you
change file associations.

"Rich Barry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> See if this helps any.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310192
>

> "OREALLY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I know you can change an icon for a file type in folder options etc. But
>>what about changing the DEFAULT ICON for a file type for any given
>>program?
>> Any way to do this in XP?
>>
>> Oreally

ju.c

      14th Sep 2009
To change an app's icon you'll have to replace the icon
inside of the EXE or DLL file using one of these freeware
tools:

Resource Hacker
http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

XN Resource Editor
http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d10resourceeditor.htm

Always make backups as it doesn't always work. Try
Resource Hacker first. If it fails, try XN Resource Editor.

ju.c

"OREALLY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know you can change an icon for a file type in folder options etc. But
> what about changing the DEFAULT ICON for a file type for any given program?
> Any way to do this in XP?
>
> Oreally

OREALLY

      14th Sep 2009
Thanks.....Unfortuntely the help menus in both these programs are
empty....as is the icon folder in WMP. Would you know where I can find the
icons for WMP?

Oreally

"ju.c" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> To change an app's icon you'll have to replace the icon
> inside of the EXE or DLL file using one of these freeware
> tools:
>
> Resource Hacker
> http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/
>
> XN Resource Editor
> http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d10resourceeditor.htm
>
> Always make backups as it doesn't always work. Try
> Resource Hacker first. If it fails, try XN Resource Editor.
>

> ju.c
>

> "OREALLY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I know you can change an icon for a file type in folder options etc. But
>> what about changing the DEFAULT ICON for a file type for any given
>> program?
>> Any way to do this in XP?
>>
>> Oreally

ju.c

      16th Sep 2009
WMP icons are contained in this file:

C:\Windows\System32\wmploc.dll

ju.c

"OREALLY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:#iCV#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks.....Unfortuntely the help menus in both these programs are
> empty....as is the icon folder in WMP. Would you know where I can find the
> icons for WMP?
>
> Oreally
>
> "ju.c" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> To change an app's icon you'll have to replace the icon
>> inside of the EXE or DLL file using one of these freeware
>> tools:
>>
>> Resource Hacker
>> http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/
>>
>> XN Resource Editor
>> http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d10resourceeditor.htm
>>
>> Always make backups as it doesn't always work. Try
>> Resource Hacker first. If it fails, try XN Resource Editor.
>>

>> ju.c
>>

>> "OREALLY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I know you can change an icon for a file type in folder options etc. But
>>> what about changing the DEFAULT ICON for a file type for any given
>>> program?
>>> Any way to do this in XP?
>>>
>>> Oreally

Tim Meddick

      23rd Sep 2009
Oreally,
you cannot "hack" or otherwise modify the file wmploc.dll without
disabling Windows File Protection (WFP), which will jump in and replace your edited
file with a backup copy as soon as it has been "saved"

So, thereby undoing any changes you may have made to this file.

I do not recommend that you disable WFP.

If you have a number of file types that you have a custom icon for then you could
make a number of reg-files for use if a program goes and changes them.

You just double click on these reg-files to change them back again to the way you had
it before.

What you have to do for each reg file, is open [regedit.exe] and locate the first key
that corresponds to the file extension that you want to save the default icon setting
for - i.e. [.mp3]

Under this key (e.g. .mp3) there is a "default value" (e.g. mp3file )

So look up the second key (mp3file) and you will find another key under this one
called [DefaultIcon]

This is the key you right-click on and choose "Export" to save it's contents to a
reg-file.

Name the saved reg-file "MP3Icon" or something similar, to remind you what icon it
will restore for you.

Now if the icons for MP3 files are changed by some other program - all you have to do
is double-click on this reg-file to restore the icon you preferred...

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)