change password without current password

Ramesh

      28th Sep 2007
Hi,

I am currently logged on. i changed my password but have forgotten what i
typed. i need to change it again but i dont know the current password.

is there a way out? i am the administrator.

thanks for any help please.

ramesh

Malke

      28th Sep 2007
Ramesh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently logged on. i changed my password but have forgotten what i
> typed. i need to change it again but i dont know the current password.
>
> is there a way out? i am the administrator.

If you have forgotten your password, if you have another user account
with administrative privileges you can log into that account and change
your original user account's password from the User Accounts applet in
Control Panel. If you don't have another account like this set up or
don't have the password to it, you'll need to log into the built-in
Administrator account. In XP Home, boot the computer into Safe Mode. Do
this by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up.
This will get you to the right menu. Navigate using your Up arrow key;
the mouse will not work here. Once in Safe Mode, you will see the
normally hidden Administrator account. The default password is a blank.

In XP Pro, you do not need to go into Safe Mode. At the Welcome Screen,
do Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. Type in
"Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up Windows.

If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password in Home or
have Pro and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the
built-in Administrator account's password to a blank.

Then go to the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and set passwords
that you will remember and make other desired changes.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Ramesh

      28th Sep 2007
Thanks Mike that was very valuable.

I dont have any other admin id setup. and am also not sure if i remember
the password of the administrator at the time of setup. (XPPro).

since am already logged on, cant i simply create another admin id, then log
on from that id and change the password of the my user. Seems to make sense
to me, but awaiting your confirmation before logout. Once i log out of this
session, I ll be damned if i cant find a way to get back in.

Thanks very much for your support.

Ramesh

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OiU%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ramesh wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am currently logged on. i changed my password but have forgotten what
>> i typed. i need to change it again but i dont know the current password.
>>
>> is there a way out? i am the administrator.

> If you have forgotten your password, if you have another user account with
> administrative privileges you can log into that account and change your
> original user account's password from the User Accounts applet in Control
> Panel. If you don't have another account like this set up or don't have
> the password to it, you'll need to log into the built-in Administrator
> account. In XP Home, boot the computer into Safe Mode. Do this by
> repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up. This will
> get you to the right menu. Navigate using your Up arrow key; the mouse
> will not work here. Once in Safe Mode, you will see the normally hidden
> Administrator account. The default password is a blank.
>
> In XP Pro, you do not need to go into Safe Mode. At the Welcome Screen, do
> Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. Type in
> "Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up
> Windows.
>
> If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password in Home or have
> Pro and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the built-in
> Administrator account's password to a blank.
>
> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
>
> Then go to the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and set passwords
> that you will remember and make other desired changes.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Ramesh

      28th Sep 2007
Mike, i took a chance and did it .. It worked simple and fine. Created a
new id. Logged on new id and changed the password. AND WROTE IT DOWN.

For a moment i thought i was in for a nightmare.

Thanks again
Ramesh

"Ramesh" <ramesh2020@gmaildotcom> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Mike that was very valuable.
>
> I dont have any other admin id setup. and am also not sure if i remember
> the password of the administrator at the time of setup. (XPPro).
>
> since am already logged on, cant i simply create another admin id, then
> log on from that id and change the password of the my user. Seems to make
> sense to me, but awaiting your confirmation before logout. Once i log out
> of this session, I ll be damned if i cant find a way to get back in.
>
> Thanks very much for your support.
>
> Ramesh
>
> "Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OiU%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ramesh wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am currently logged on. i changed my password but have forgotten what
>>> i typed. i need to change it again but i dont know the current
>>> password.
>>>
>>> is there a way out? i am the administrator.

>> If you have forgotten your password, if you have another user account
>> with administrative privileges you can log into that account and change
>> your original user account's password from the User Accounts applet in
>> Control Panel. If you don't have another account like this set up or
>> don't have the password to it, you'll need to log into the built-in
>> Administrator account. In XP Home, boot the computer into Safe Mode. Do
>> this by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up.
>> This will get you to the right menu. Navigate using your Up arrow key;
>> the mouse will not work here. Once in Safe Mode, you will see the
>> normally hidden Administrator account. The default password is a blank.
>>
>> In XP Pro, you do not need to go into Safe Mode. At the Welcome Screen,
>> do Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. Type in
>> "Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up
>> Windows.
>>
>> If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password in Home or
>> have Pro and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the
>> built-in Administrator account's password to a blank.
>>
>> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
>>
>> Then go to the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and set passwords
>> that you will remember and make other desired changes.
>>

>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

      28th Sep 2007
Ramesh wrote:
> Thanks Mike that was very valuable.
>
> I dont have any other admin id setup. and am also not sure if i remember
> the password of the administrator at the time of setup. (XPPro).
>
> since am already logged on, cant i simply create another admin id, then log
> on from that id and change the password of the my user. Seems to make sense
> to me, but awaiting your confirmation before logout. Once i log out of this
> session, I ll be damned if i cant find a way to get back in.

Just log into the Administrator account and change your user account
password from there. Since you are apparently already logged in
somewhere (where? in an account with administrative privileges?), why
don't you just change the built-in Administrator's password from where
you are?

Start>Run>mmc [enter]
Start the Local Users and Groups snap-in
Under Console Root, expand "Local Users and Groups" and click on "Users"
Users will appear on the right - right-click the entry for Administraor
and choose "Set Password"
Click "proceed", type and confirm the new password - WHICH YOU WILL
WRITE DOWN SO AS NOT TO FORGET IT - and OK out.

Then log into the built-in Administrator account and make whatever
changes you need to the user accounts.

Malke
--

Ramesh wrote:
> Mike, i took a chance and did it .. It worked simple and fine. Created a
> new id. Logged on new id and changed the password. AND WROTE IT DOWN.
>
> For a moment i thought i was in for a nightmare.

It's "Malke", not "Mike" but that's OK. I'm glad you got this sorted.
Thanks for taking the time to post back.

Malke