Change line spacing of text in Excel cells

=?Utf-8?B?Sm8=?=

      29th May 2007
Just like in Word and Publisher, surely there is a command to increase or
decrease spacing between lines, or add points of space before or after
paragraphs in Excel.

Gord Dibben

      29th May 2007
Why surely?

Excel is neither a word processing nor a publishing program.

Try crunching numbers in Publisher and you'll notice the limitations and
dissimilarities.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 28 May 2007 19:54:01 -0700, Jo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just like in Word and Publisher, surely there is a command to increase or
>decrease spacing between lines, or add points of space before or after
>paragraphs in Excel.

Tim

      12th Jun 2007
On May 28, 11:08 pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
> Why surely?
>
> Excel is neither a word processing nor a publishing program.
>
> Try crunching numbers in Publisher and you'll notice the limitations and
> dissimilarities.
>
> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
>

> On Mon, 28 May 2007 19:54:01 -0700, Jo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Just like in Word and Publisher, surely there is a command to increase or
> >decrease spacing between lines, or add points of space before or after
> >paragraphs in Excel.- Hide quoted text -

Kind of a smart ass remark for a MVP?

Gord Dibben

      12th Jun 2007
Tim

Is that a question or declarative with poor punctuation?

Gord

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:46:27 -0700, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On May 28, 11:08 pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
>> Why surely?
>>
>> Excel is neither a word processing nor a publishing program.
>>
>> Try crunching numbers in Publisher and you'll notice the limitations and
>> dissimilarities.
>>
>> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
>>

>> On Mon, 28 May 2007 19:54:01 -0700, Jo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >Just like in Word and Publisher, surely there is a command to increase or
>> >decrease spacing between lines, or add points of space before or after
>> >paragraphs in Excel.- Hide quoted text -

>Kind of a smart ass remark for a MVP?

googleaccount1@kingers.com

      15th Jul 2007
On 29 May, 04:08, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
> Why surely?

Here's a reason why - because of a shortcoming in the Paste Link
function in Word I am having to process a series of documents in
Excel. When printed I want these documents to look as close as
possible to how they would have looked if I had been able to do what I
wanted to do in Word.

Gord Dibben

      17th Jul 2007
I didn't ask why someone would want to do it.

I asked why do you think Excel "surely" has the same functionality as Word or
Publisher, which are word processing programs.

>Just like in Word and Publisher, surely there is a command to increase or
>decrease spacing between lines, or add points of space before or after
>paragraphs in Excel.

Gord

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 20:36:56 -0000, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On 29 May, 04:08, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
>> Why surely?
>>

>Here's a reason why - because of a shortcoming in the Paste Link
>function in Word I am having to process a series of documents in
>Excel. When printed I want these documents to look as close as
>possible to how they would have looked if I had been able to do what I
>wanted to do in Word.

New Member

      11th Apr 2011
The problem is that with Office 2007, the default went from Times New Roman, I believe (I always changed it to Arial) and single spacing, to Calibri and line spacing of 1.5. This is easily changed in Word and in Publisher, but not in Excel and I feel the same way - SURELY - there is a command to increase or decrease spacing in Excel. Hey, Microsoft went to the trouble of changing it to 1.5 spaces in Excel just like they did in Word and Publisher. If this doesn't matter because Excel is purely for number crunching, then why change the default spacing?

And, Mr. MVP, why are you hanging around here if you aren't going to help? It looks to me like you stick around just to criticize so that you can feel good about yourself. I hope for your sake that you've grown up since you made these comments.

I hope someday that you find it necessary to put more than one line of text in text in Excel 2007/2010/etc.

New Member

      10th Apr 2012
The best I can ever do is-
*add another row vertically below
*add an outside border around both cells (if its some sort of table)
*change upper line to 'bottom align'
*change lower line to 'top align'

-Big Game (not an Excel MVP, surely)

Last edited by Big Game; 10th Apr 2012 at 04:02 PM..

New Member
Location: Smyrna, GA

      8th Jan 2013
[QUOTE==?Utf-8?B?Sm8=?=;10424828]Just like in Word and Publisher, surely there is a command to .[How do I increase or