Change HAL with out reinstall

=?Utf-8?B?bm9kcm9n?=

      2nd Jun 2006
is it possible to get Windows XP to recognize a dual core CPU after Windows
XP is installed?

We have a ghost image that works very well, but was created with the
standard ACPI HAL, in order to get the Dual Core CPU to show up, we have to
do a repair install and force a manual HAL selection. (per MS KB: 299340)

Has anyone run into this?

thanks,
nodrog

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

      4th Jun 2006
Hello,
The only correct way to change out the hal from Standard ACPI to a
multi-Proc ACPI hal is to reinstall.
Other methods of changing out the hal can lead to issues with Plug and Play
and with Power Management, plus potential other affects on the system.
Only setup correctly detects the hal and correctly sets all the appropriate
entries in the system, and copies over the correct files for the associated
hal.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?bm9kcm9n?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
<Subject: Change HAL with out reinstall
<Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 07:54:02 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<do a repair install and force a manual HAL selection. (per MS KB: 299340)
<
<Has anyone run into this?
<
<thanks,
<nodrog
<

=?Utf-8?B?RGVycmVr?=

      8th Jun 2006
turn off the driver signing. (my computer, properties, hardware, driver
signing and set to ignore…)

then run this command line exactly:

rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction ACPIAPIC_MP_HAL 128
%windir%\inf\hal.inf

it took two reboots

"nodrog" wrote:

> is it possible to get Windows XP to recognize a dual core CPU after Windows
> XP is installed?
>
> We have a ghost image that works very well, but was created with the
> standard ACPI HAL, in order to get the Dual Core CPU to show up, we have to
> do a repair install and force a manual HAL selection. (per MS KB: 299340)
>
> Has anyone run into this?
>
> thanks,
> nodrog

Andy

      9th Jun 2006
I have a similar problem. We have some PC's that are all identical built by
ourselves. One of them has Windows 2003 Server on it. When we shutdown, it
switches off the PC. The others have Windows XP Pro Sp2 on them. They will
not shut themselves down. They just tell me that "It is Safe to turn off my
computer".

I guess that Server 2003 has installed the correct HAL and XP Pro hasn't.
The HAL seems to be "MPS Uniprocessor PC" but the PC supports ACPI. I guess
I need "ACPI Uniprocessor PC". Do you have a way to change this?

Andy

"Derrek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> turn off the driver signing. (my computer, properties, hardware, driver
> signing and set to ignore.)
>
> then run this command line exactly:
>
> rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction ACPIAPIC_MP_HAL 128
> %windir%\inf\hal.inf
>

> it took two reboots
>

> "nodrog" wrote:
>
>> is it possible to get Windows XP to recognize a dual core CPU after
>> Windows
>> XP is installed?
>>
>> We have a ghost image that works very well, but was created with the
>> standard ACPI HAL, in order to get the Dual Core CPU to show up, we have
>> do a repair install and force a manual HAL selection. (per MS KB:
>> 299340)
>>
>> Has anyone run into this?
>>
>> thanks,
>> nodrog

msmucny@gmail.com

      9th Jun 2006
i'm working on getting my company's images consolidated into 1 or 2
images that work across multiple platforms. i have one problem:
single and multi processors. what i am looking for is a batch file
that i can run on the end of sysprep to detect the cpu hardware and
copy the correct HAL files to the system32 directory. i know what has
to be done, i'm just not very good with batch files or scripts. could
someone please help?

thanks,

mike