How to change dynamic disk to basic without losing data

Dan - Unisys

      5th Jan 2004
MSCS requires basic disks. Is there a way to convert
dynamic disk to basic disk without having to delete and
reload data on the disks?
Is there some type of utility from Microsoft or EMC which
would do this? Thanks.

Leonard Severt [MSFT]

      5th Jan 2004
"Dan - Unisys" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:019d01c3d3b0$34ac5580$(E-Mail Removed):

> MSCS requires basic disks. Is there a way to convert
> dynamic disk to basic disk without having to delete and
> reload data on the disks?
> Is there some type of utility from Microsoft or EMC which
> would do this? Thanks.

There is no automatic method. If the Dynamic disk was first a Basic disk
then you can use Diskprobe or another disk editor to change partition type
from 42 to 07. However there is always risk with this process and I would
always have a backup of the data.

Leonard Severt

Windows 2000 Server Setup Team

Joe Griffin [MSFT]

      6th Jan 2004
Make sure the total sectors in the partition table is 1 sector larger than
the total sectors in the boot sector. Also, you may notice that you have
only one partition when viewing the disk in Disk Manager but you have
information on line 01c0 and 01d0 on sector 0.
If you do only have one partition, change the information on line 01d0 to
all zeros.
It would be a good idea to save sector 0 as a file before making any
changes to the sector.
If you have two partitions then you must check the total sectors for the
second partition against the total sectors in the boot sector for the
second partition.

If Disk Manager shows more than four partitions, they cannot be converted
to basic since there is only enough room on sector 0 to define four
partitions.

If you need assistance with this utility, you will need to call support.

Joe Griffin [MS]

--------------------
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system
Subject: Re: How to change dynamic disk to basic without losing data
From: "Leonard Severt [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 20:43:26 GMT

"Dan - Unisys" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:019d01c3d3b0$34ac5580$(E-Mail Removed):

> MSCS requires basic disks. Is there a way to convert
> dynamic disk to basic disk without having to delete and
> reload data on the disks?
> Is there some type of utility from Microsoft or EMC which
> would do this? Thanks.

There is no automatic method. If the Dynamic disk was first a Basic disk
then you can use Diskprobe or another disk editor to change partition type
from 42 to 07. However there is always risk with this process and I would
always have a backup of the data.

Leonard Severt

Windows 2000 Server Setup Team

New Member

      26th Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Griffin [MSFT]
If you have two partitions then you must check the total sectors for the
second partition against the total sectors in the boot sector for the
second partition.
Hello,

Can anyone say me how I do it?
I changed it to 07 from 42 and recovered one partition of two and now I'm trying to recover the second, but don't know how.

Please, help me with this issue...

Banned

      2nd Sep 2009
You may use the disk management tool to convert your dynamic disk to the basic one but all the data on the dynamic disk will loss in this way. One of the safest way is to copy al the data on the dynamic disk to make a backup and then convert it with the disk management tool. Here is a guide: www.partition-tool.com/resource/clone-dynamic-disk.htm

New Member

      2nd Sep 2009
Convert dynamic disk to basic disk, which use Dynamic Disk Converter is a good choice. There are three ways to fulfill dynamic disk to basic conversion, please visit http://www.dynamic-disk.com/convert-...-to-basic.html for more information.

New Member
shun's Avatar

      23rd Oct 2009
It is not safe to convert dynamic disk directly to basic, copy the dynamic disk to another basic disk is much better, as it won't crash your system or data http://www.hdd-tool.com/partition-ma...ata-losing.htm

Last edited by shun; 20th Mar 2010 at 01:37 PM..

New Member

      8th Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by shun