Change default format in 2007

Redbourn

      9th Dec 2010
Hi,

Whatever I enter in at the moment displays as a date until I change
the format manually.

I'd like to change it (obvioulsy ?!) to either general or numbers.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Michael

Gord Dibben

      9th Dec 2010
2007 new workbook/new worksheet default cell format is General.

Are you speaking of an existing workbook/sheet?

One sheet or all sheets?

Perhaps someone has altered the default by creating a BOOK.XLT or SHEET.XLT in
your XLSTART folder?

What happens when you CTRL + a to select all cells then format them as General.

Does this format stick?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 02:14:17 -0800 (PST), Redbourn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Whatever I enter in at the moment displays as a date until I change
>the format manually.
>
>I'd like to change it (obvioulsy ?!) to either general or numbers.
>
>Any help would be much appreciated.
>
>Michael

Redbourn

      9th Dec 2010
On Dec 9, 6:21*pm, Gord Dibben <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> 2007 new workbook/new worksheet default cell format is General.
>
> Are you speaking of an existing workbook/sheet?
>
> One sheet or all sheets?
>
> Perhaps someone has altered the default by creating a BOOK.XLT or SHEET.XLT in
> your XLSTART folder?
>
> What happens when you CTRL + a to select all cells then format them as General.
>
> Does this format stick?
>
> Gord Dibben * * MS Excel MVP
>
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 02:14:17 -0800 (PST), Redbourn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Hi,

> >Whatever I enter in at the moment displays as a date until I change
> >the format manually.

> >I'd like to change it (obvioulsy ?!) to either general or numbers.

> >Any help would be much appreciated.

> >Michael

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply ;-)

>2007 new workbook/new worksheet default cell format is General.

Are you speaking of an existing workbook/sheet?

Existing.

One sheet or all sheets?

All

Perhaps someone has altered the default by creating a BOOK.XLT or
SHEET.XLT in
your XLSTART folder?

I'm the only user.

What happens when you CTRL + a to select all cells then format them as
General.

Does this format stick?

Yes,

Michael

Gord Dibben

      9th Dec 2010
Suggest you do that for all sheets in the workbook then save.

I don't know how all formatting go changed to Date but that should clear it up.

Gord

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 11:02:30 -0800 (PST), Redbourn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Perhaps someone has altered the default by creating a BOOK.XLT or
>SHEET.XLT in
>your XLSTART folder?
>
>I'm the only user.
>
>What happens when you CTRL + a to select all cells then format them as
>General.
>
>Does this format stick?
>
>Yes,

Redbourn

      12th Dec 2010
On Dec 10, 12:19*am, Gord Dibben <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Suggest you do that for all sheets in the workbook then save.
>
> I don't know how all formatting go changed to Date but that should clear it up.
>
> Gord
>
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 11:02:30 -0800 (PST), Redbourn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Perhaps someone has altered the default by creating a BOOK.XLT or
> >SHEET.XLT in
> >your XLSTART folder?

> >I'm the only user.

> >What happens when you CTRL + a to select all cells then format them as
> >General.

> >Does this format stick?

> >Yes,

I will do that for future sheets but it seems like I will have to
change the "format" every time I make an additon to an existing page.

Thank you all for your help,

Michael