How to change backend field name & update queries, forms, etc ?

MyEmailList@gmail.com

      9th Apr 2007
I need to change the field names in a table in a split database.

How can I do this and have the queries & forms in the Front End pickup
the new field name?

or must I redo all the forms & queries in the Front End?

thanks for any help.

Mel

=?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=

      9th Apr 2007
I use 3rd party software.
http://www.speedferret.com/speedferret.html

--
-Matt
Microsoft Certified Professional

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> I need to change the field names in a table in a split database.
>
> How can I do this and have the queries & forms in the Front End pickup
> the new field name?
>
> or must I redo all the forms & queries in the Front End?
>
> thanks for any help.
>
> Mel

Arvin Meyer [MVP]

      9th Apr 2007
If you open Tools >>> Options >>> General tab, there is Name AutoCorrect.
Generally it only works partially, and causes all kinds of problems if you
don't forget to turn it back off after finishing. One tool that always works
and I find indespensible as a developer is Speed Ferret:

http://www.speedferret.com/

a bit less expensive is Find & Replace but I'm not sure if it works with
Access 2003:

http://www.rickworld.com/products.html

Be sure to turn off Name AutoCorrect when you are done.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need to change the field names in a table in a split database.
>
> How can I do this and have the queries & forms in the Front End pickup
> the new field name?
>
> or must I redo all the forms & queries in the Front End?
>
> thanks for any help.
>
> Mel

Jeff Boyce

      9th Apr 2007
In addition to the other suggestions you've already received, you need to
remember that you have to work in the back-end to make field/table name
changes, then work in the front-end to update the references to those
changed names (using the tools the other responders have suggested).

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need to change the field names in a table in a split database.
>
> How can I do this and have the queries & forms in the Front End pickup
> the new field name?
>
> or must I redo all the forms & queries in the Front End?
>
> thanks for any help.
>
> Mel

John W. Vinson

      9th Apr 2007
On 9 Apr 2007 07:33:52 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I need to change the field names in a table in a split database.
>
>How can I do this and have the queries & forms in the Front End pickup
>the new field name?
>
>or must I redo all the forms & queries in the Front End?
>
>thanks for any help.
>
>Mel

I'd add yet one more caveat to the suggestions you've gotten:

Make the field changes in the backend.

Then open the frontend, DELETE the links to the changed tables, and use
File... Get External Data... Link to create a fresh link to the changed table.

The frontend can cache information about the table, and I've seen wierd things
happen when a backend table is changed. Even using the Linked Table Manager
doesn't necessarily correct the problems; deleting the table link and
relinking is cheap insurance.

John W. Vinson [MVP]

aaron.kempf@gmail.com

      9th Apr 2007
I'd reccomend not using MDB-- because of the unnecessary complexity of
splitting and linking, refreshing.

Keep your data in an Access Data Project; and your life will be a lot
simpler