PC Review

Challenge - "Build" me a computer

Captain Crunchie, Retired

20th Sep 2005
that's a good spec' at a good price.

If you are going to network, get a 'router', will solve a lot of potential problems.

I am the dreadful menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.

20th Sep 2005
looks all good ... if its not much more monety i would considor a athlon 3200

but other than that all good

24th Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demagogue

Is this all I need? What about extra cables, tools etc.? Also is it all compatible. I plan on ordering tomorrow night.

Dem
lol im poor with cables. i begin the build, get half way through and realise im a sata cable short or whatever, and then have to wait another 4 days for another one :P

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ @ 2.66ghz | Zalman CNPS9500 | Asus A8N-SLi Premium | Asus GeForce GTX 275 | Corsair TX 650w PSU | 4 x 512mb Crucial Ballistix | 2 x 250gb Hitatchi Deskstar T7K250 | Creative X-Fi Gamer | Sony Floppy Drive | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Thermaltake Tsunami Dream VA3000BWA | Samsung SyncMaster 930BF 19" | Saitek Eclipse Keyboard | Logitech MX518 |

28th Sep 2005
Cheers for the help everyone. Took me about 3 hours to build, let alone test.

Had a problem getting the motherboard in - the I/O panel just didnt seem to be fit no matter how much I jiggled and because I used two sets of similar looking screws I thought half had threaded which led me to a complete removal of the motherboard etc. (I realised halfway through taking the standoffs off!).

I also struggled with the graphics card. The bottom of the frame just wouldn't bend out of the case so I tried to bend it inwards which led to it being too close to the board to fit and eventually had to bend it up and back in (its messy and might cause some problems but it works).

Antec's ACAG is a bit difficult to deal with too. I fitted both fans in the hope of having a super cool system but the VGA fan is in the wrong place (and only covers one PCI-X slot anyway) and it seems a bit pointless. In hindsight I would just skip it and put in a front fan.

All in all though its been quite successful, largely down to the component advice.

Dem

28th Sep 2005
don't forget if you get a cheap case to check reviews of it on the net, as they could just fall apart or whatever

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ @ 2.66ghz | Zalman CNPS9500 | Asus A8N-SLi Premium | Asus GeForce GTX 275 | Corsair TX 650w PSU | 4 x 512mb Crucial Ballistix | 2 x 250gb Hitatchi Deskstar T7K250 | Creative X-Fi Gamer | Sony Floppy Drive | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Thermaltake Tsunami Dream VA3000BWA | Samsung SyncMaster 930BF 19" | Saitek Eclipse Keyboard | Logitech MX518 |

3rd Oct 2005
Just remember for gaming your Graphics Card and your RAM are generally more important than your Processor (although they are bottlenecked by it). This is what I got for about 500-600 quid:

Shuttle sn41g2v2 SFF PC (Uneccessary, but they make life easy and looks FANTASTIC)
Athlon 3200+ XP
GeForce 6800 128mb (Plus 256mb Shared AGP Aperture)
1028mb Crucial 3200DDR @ 400mz
200gb Seagate Barricuder 7 Series (By FAR the best value decent HDD'S out there - 60)
Sony CD/DVD Drive

3DMARK05: 4444
3DMARK03: 11,000

3rd Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherpostill
How can A TRUE gamers PC NOT be capable of productin the Shader model 3.0 effects neccesary to enjoy, Far Cry (patch1.3) fully, Splinter Cell Chos theory properly, or Doom 3 pretty much AT ALL?!

And lets not forget the soon to amaze Morowind Obvlivion, Starship troopers, or Quake 4!

GET A GEFORCE 6 SERIES!!!

3rd Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherpostill
How can A TRUE gamers PC NOT be capable of producing the Shader model 3.0 effects neccesary to enjoy, Far Cry (patch1.3) fully, Splinter Cell Chos theory properly, or Doom 3 pretty much AT ALL?!

And lets not forget the soon to amaze Morowind Obvlivion, Starship troopers, or Quake 4!

GET A GEFORCE 6 SERIES!!!

3rd Oct 2005
new ATi x1800 coming out in a few weeks. That will push the price of cards down a bit

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: