CeRunAppAtTime does not work

Okire

      9th Oct 2003
I am developing an application that needs to uppdate it self every night, to
force it to wake up and do the uppdate I am using "CeRunAppAtTime" but since
I started to use PPC 2003 it does not work properly, the event is registerd
but does not start until I manualy start the handheld, it does not wake upp
at the set time.

Has anyone else runed acros this, is there a workaround?

/Erik Olofsson

Brian

      9th Oct 2003
Yes, it's a known issue on Ipaqs -- not sure about other PPCs. There are a
few patches that you can get. In my case the app does run, but the screen
never turns on. This will be obvious if you play a sound or something. So
in my app, I force the screen on as well to work around this.

Supposedly the backup software caused some problems as well. If you check
the Ipaq forums, you'll see a lot of posts about this problem.

"Okire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am developing an application that needs to uppdate it self every night,

> force it to wake up and do the uppdate I am using "CeRunAppAtTime" but

since
> I started to use PPC 2003 it does not work properly, the event is

registerd
> but does not start until I manualy start the handheld, it does not wake

upp
> at the set time.
>
> Has anyone else runed acros this, is there a workaround?
>
> /Erik Olofsson

cenright

      9th Oct 2003
This happens on Dell axiom as well. However, even when
forcing the screen on and reseting the idle timer, the
device shuts off after about 10 seconds. Are the patches
specific to Ipaq or general ppc 2003 patches?

Brian

      9th Oct 2003
Unfortunately I'm not sure. I thought they were Ipaq specific, fixing a
problem with the backup software, but I'm not sure. If I see anything
pertinent, I'll pass it along. The good news, at least, is that it seems to
be a software issue so hopefully that means a fix is in the works.

"cenright" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:085101c38eaf$3e3bbff0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This happens on Dell axiom as well. However, even when
> forcing the screen on and reseting the idle timer, the
> device shuts off after about 10 seconds. Are the patches
> specific to Ipaq or general ppc 2003 patches?

cenright

      10th Oct 2003
I read in an earlier post that using CeRunAppAtTime to
launch a non-.net exe will work fine. I tried this on
the dell axiom and it had the same results... the unit
started for a little while (my network card lit up) and
then shut off.

The workaround I am currently using is to use a user
notification set to run for a short period of time along
with the app launch. The notification dialog is
annoying, but I am using it for unattended downloads at
night anyway, so it accomplishes what I need...