CDBOOT: Couldn't Find NTLDR (Windows XP Home Install problem)

Mr. Hand

      18th Jul 2004
I'm trying to install Windows XP Home (Full Version) on a
new system that I've recently built but when I try to
boot using the WinXP CD disc I get an error "CDBOOT:
Couldn't Find NTLDR".

Here are some FACTS:
1. My system is a Shuttle XPS SS51G (small form factor)
circa 2002. The components in the PC are a 2.4 GHz
Pentium 4, Samsung 160 GB hard drive, HP CD Writer (CD-
RW) drive, NO 3.5" Floppy, integrated VGA, integrated
Audio.
2. Yes, the BIOS is configured to be the first boot
device followed by the HDD (Hard Disk Drive).
3. I can successfully boot from a CD-R based MS-DOS boot
disk (created using Roxio Easy CD Creator 6, File | New
Project | Bootable Disc). I can also boot using a Norton
Ghost boot disk (which is basically a PC-DOS boot disk
with GHOST.EXE on it, also converted to a bootable CD).
4. I have tried several options with my hard drive
(Sumsung SpinPoint SP1604N OEM drive, 160 GB) before
trying to boot my PC with the WinXP CD:
(a) Left it as it was from the manufacturer,
(b) Used the Norton Ghost utility GDISK to create a
single 160GB primary partion with FAT32 format,
(c) Used the Norton Ghost utility GDISK to create a ~30
GB partion with FAT32 format,
(d) Used the Norton Ghost utility GDISK to create a ~30
GB partion with no FORMATing,
(e) Used the Norton Ghost utility GDISK to wipe the disk
completely clean including all partions, partition table,
formatting, MBR (Master Boot Record), all used and unused
space.
All of these options still resulted in the can't find
NTLDR message.

From what I have dug up from Microsoft's web site and
other Newsgroups, the Windows XP CD should be able to
boot up and then perform all of the necessary formatting
of the hard drive (and partitioning???). So, this would
lead me to believe that I can leave the HDD as is and
then use the CD to do the partitioning and formatting of
the disc, but I can't get past the "CDBOOT: Couldn't Find
NTLDR" error message! I did find some POSTS of this same
problem but didn't see any resolution for it. One post
instructed you to copy the NTLR file from a working
Windows XP system to "C:\" on the new PC and then try
using the Win XP boot disc but that didn't work either.

Any help with this problem would be appreciated!

-Thanks in advance to any replies
(E-Mail Removed)

Pegasus

      18th Jul 2004

"Mr. Hand" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2f0cb01c46c8d$6d05c620$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to install Windows XP Home (Full Version) on a
> new system that I've recently built but when I try to
> boot using the WinXP CD disc I get an error "CDBOOT:
> Couldn't Find NTLDR".
>
> Here are some FACTS:
> 1. My system is a Shuttle XPS SS51G (small form factor)
> circa 2002. The components in the PC are a 2.4 GHz
> Pentium 4, Samsung 160 GB hard drive, HP CD Writer (CD-
> RW) drive, NO 3.5" Floppy, integrated VGA, integrated
> Audio.
> 2. Yes, the BIOS is configured to be the first boot
> device followed by the HDD (Hard Disk Drive).
> 3. I can successfully boot from a CD-R based MS-DOS boot
> disk (created using Roxio Easy CD Creator 6, File | New
> Project | Bootable Disc). I can also boot using a Norton
> Ghost boot disk (which is basically a PC-DOS boot disk
> with GHOST.EXE on it, also converted to a bootable CD).
> 4. I have tried several options with my hard drive
> (Sumsung SpinPoint SP1604N OEM drive, 160 GB) before
> trying to boot my PC with the WinXP CD:
> (a) Left it as it was from the manufacturer,
> (b) Used the Norton Ghost utility GDISK to create a
> single 160GB primary partion with FAT32 format,
> (c) Used the Norton Ghost utility GDISK to create a ~30
> GB partion with FAT32 format,
> (d) Used the Norton Ghost utility GDISK to create a ~30
> GB partion with no FORMATing,
> (e) Used the Norton Ghost utility GDISK to wipe the disk
> completely clean including all partions, partition table,
> formatting, MBR (Master Boot Record), all used and unused
> space.
> All of these options still resulted in the can't find
> NTLDR message.
>
> From what I have dug up from Microsoft's web site and
> other Newsgroups, the Windows XP CD should be able to
> boot up and then perform all of the necessary formatting
> of the hard drive (and partitioning???). So, this would
> lead me to believe that I can leave the HDD as is and
> then use the CD to do the partitioning and formatting of
> the disc, but I can't get past the "CDBOOT: Couldn't Find
> NTLDR" error message! I did find some POSTS of this same
> problem but didn't see any resolution for it. One post
> instructed you to copy the NTLR file from a working
> Windows XP system to "C:\" on the new PC and then try
> using the Win XP boot disc but that didn't work either.
>
> Any help with this problem would be appreciated!
>
> -Thanks in advance to any replies
> (E-Mail Removed)

There is something strange with your item 2) above where
you write "the BIOS is configured to be the first boot
device". The BIOS is not really a boot device, but you need
to instruct the BIOS to consider the CD drive as the first
boot device.

There could be something wrong with your WinXP CD.
Ask for a replacement. In the meantime, you can load
WinXP like so:

1. Create a primary active FAT32 partition of the
required size, as in b) above.

2. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk (www.bootdisk.com).

3. Run this command off the CD: \i386\winnt.exe

4. Later on, convert your system partition to NTFS if desired.

Mr. Hand

      18th Jul 2004
Sorry about that, it's been a late night for me .

What I meant was that the CD-ROM drive is setup in the
BOIS to be the first boot device.

Hope this clarifies things,
(E-Mail Removed)

WILL be the first boot
> [...]

>> Any help with this problem would be appreciated!
>>
>> -Thanks in advance to any replies
>> (E-Mail Removed)

>There is something strange with your item 2) above where
>you write "the BIOS is configured to be the first boot
> device". The BIOS is not really a boot device, but you

need
>to instruct the BIOS to consider the CD drive as the

first
>boot device.
>
>There could be something wrong with your WinXP CD.
>Ask for a replacement. In the meantime, you can load
>WinXP like so:
>
>1. Create a primary active FAT32 partition of the
>required size, as in b) above.
>
>2. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk

(www.bootdisk.com).

>3. Run this command off the CD: \i386\winnt.exe
>
>4. Later on, convert your system partition to NTFS if

Mr. Hand

      18th Jul 2004
Will the WINNT.EXE be on the Win98 boot disc or is this
the WINNT.EXE from my WinXP CD? I don't have a floppy
drive in my new system so I don't think that I'll be able
to execute any file that isn't on the CD that I boot up
with (Right?). i.e. I won't be able to swap discs.

Thanks again for the reply,
(E-Mail Removed)

JAX

      18th Jul 2004
After reading your post several times, it seems to me, somehow you have over
complicated things for yourself. If you are doing a new install of XP why
did you do any of the items mentioned in #4?

In order to do a "clean install" of XP, all you need is the XP disk. With
it, you can format, partition, and install XP with no outside help.
Disconnect everything from your computer, except the mouse, keyboard, and
monitor. Then follow the instructions offered by the following link.
Thanks to Michael Stevens

HTH, JAX

"Mr. Hand" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2f0cb01c46c8d$6d05c620$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to install Windows XP Home (Full Version) on a
> new system that I've recently built but when I try to
> boot using the WinXP CD disc I get an error "CDBOOT:
> Couldn't Find NTLDR".

Pegasus

      18th Jul 2004
In your original post you said that you could successfully
boot your machine with a DOS boot CD. Does it have
a CD driver? If yes, do as I suggested in my first reply.
If no, make a boot CD on somebody else's PC from the
boot diskette whose link I gave you.

"Mr. Hand" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2e38a01c46c96$4ab274c0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will the WINNT.EXE be on the Win98 boot disc or is this
> the WINNT.EXE from my WinXP CD? I don't have a floppy
> drive in my new system so I don't think that I'll be able
> to execute any file that isn't on the CD that I boot up
> with (Right?). i.e. I won't be able to swap discs.
>
> Thanks again for the reply,
> (E-Mail Removed)

Mr. Hand

      18th Jul 2004
Yes, I may be overcomplicating things! However, as I a
stated, when I first tried to perform the Clean
Installation of Windows XP Home (Full Retail Edition) on
my new system I got the "CDBOOT:.Couldn't find NTLDR"
message and I could not go any further with the install.
So, I thought that I maybe needn't to Partition and/or
Format my HD first. So, I used an MS-DOS boot CD with the
GDISK utility on it and went from there.

I do only have the following hooked up externally to the
PC:
1. PS2 Keyboard,
2. PS2 Mouse,
3. A/C Power,
4. Analog monitor.

Internally, the only devices that I have connected to the
motherboard are:
1. CD-RW drive,
2. Hard Drive (unfomatted and unpartitioned)
3. Plus, of course, the CPU and RAM.

Can anyone explain what the WinXP boot CD is doing when
the PC is trying tp boot from the CD? Does it need to
copy files to the hard disk before it can continue with
the installation (i.e. it must "see" a partition on the
HD to copy the files to)? From what I've read it sounds
like it should go through the FDISK and FORMAT routine in
some fashion before going on with the installation?

All the help is REALLY appreciated since this is the
first time that I've ever tried to install WinXP on brand
new hardware! Besides, the wife is already
touting "Dude, you should've got a Dell!".

Pegasus

      18th Jul 2004
See below.

"Mr. Hand" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2e52901c46cdd$ff06bb60$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, I may be overcomplicating things! However, as I a
> stated, when I first tried to perform the Clean
> Installation of Windows XP Home (Full Retail Edition) on
> my new system I got the "CDBOOT:.Couldn't find NTLDR"
> message and I could not go any further with the install.
> So, I thought that I maybe needn't to Partition and/or
> Format my HD first. So, I used an MS-DOS boot CD with the
> GDISK utility on it and went from there.
>
> I do only have the following hooked up externally to the
> PC:
> 1. PS2 Keyboard,
> 2. PS2 Mouse,
> 3. A/C Power,
> 4. Analog monitor.
>
> Internally, the only devices that I have connected to the
> motherboard are:
> 1. CD-RW drive,
> 2. Hard Drive (unfomatted and unpartitioned)
> 3. Plus, of course, the CPU and RAM.
>
> Can anyone explain what the WinXP boot CD is doing when
> the PC is trying tp boot from the CD?

*** As I mentioned before, it's probably defective.

> Does it need to
> copy files to the hard disk before it can continue with
> the installation (i.e. it must "see" a partition on the
> HD to copy the files to)?

*** No.

> From what I've read it sounds
> like it should go through the FDISK and FORMAT routine in
> some fashion before going on with the installation?

*** No.

> All the help is REALLY appreciated since this is the
> first time that I've ever tried to install WinXP on brand
> new hardware! Besides, the wife is already
> touting "Dude, you should've got a Dell!".

*** It depends on your attitude. Dell is fine
*** if you don't want to know what's under
*** the bonnet, and if you're happy to pay
*** someone when things go wrong.

JAX

      18th Jul 2004
Hello again,

If you have the BIOS set to 1st boot CD, if there are no hardware problems,
and if, as Pegasus mentioned, the CD is not defective. When you "power-on"
the computer, you should get a prompt to boot from CD, press any key. You
will be given the opportunity to format and partition the drive. That being
done, install can begin. Windows will take it from there. There is very
little you have to do except enter your key, set the time-zone,etc.
CAUTION!! During installation, you will be prompted to boot from CD a second
time, DON'T pres any key, it will start the whole process over again.
(this information is generalized for simplicity)

The following link will show graphics for a full install of XP Home edition.
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_..._-_graphic.htm
Thanks to The Elder Geek

HTH, JAX

"Mr. Hand" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2e52901c46cdd$ff06bb60$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, I may be overcomplicating things! However, as I a
> stated, when I first tried to perform the Clean
> Installation of Windows XP Home (Full Retail Edition) on
> my new system I got the "CDBOOT:.Couldn't find NTLDR"
> message and I could not go any further with the install.
> So, I thought that I maybe needn't to Partition and/or
> Format my HD first. So, I used an MS-DOS boot CD with the
> GDISK utility on it and went from there.
>
> I do only have the following hooked up externally to the
> PC:
> 1. PS2 Keyboard,
> 2. PS2 Mouse,
> 3. A/C Power,
> 4. Analog monitor.
>
> Internally, the only devices that I have connected to the
> motherboard are:
> 1. CD-RW drive,
> 2. Hard Drive (unfomatted and unpartitioned)
> 3. Plus, of course, the CPU and RAM.
>
> Can anyone explain what the WinXP boot CD is doing when
> the PC is trying tp boot from the CD? Does it need to
> copy files to the hard disk before it can continue with
> the installation (i.e. it must "see" a partition on the
> HD to copy the files to)? From what I've read it sounds
> like it should go through the FDISK and FORMAT routine in
> some fashion before going on with the installation?
>
> All the help is REALLY appreciated since this is the
> first time that I've ever tried to install WinXP on brand
> new hardware! Besides, the wife is already
> touting "Dude, you should've got a Dell!".

Jetro

      18th Jul 2004
Don't remember where the original info is:

This message can appear while booting self-made XP/2k/NT CDs. It is
generated by the bootsector NT5BOOT.BIN (WinXP/Win2k) or NT4BOOT.BIN
(WinNT4).
The message means that the bootsector was unable to find the file
\I386\SETUPLDR.BIN on the CD. There can be two reasons: first is obvious -
the file is not present; second is more complex:

Depending on the CD writing program, the file SETUPLDR.BIN (and every other
file on the CD) is stored in the file table either as SETUPLDR.BIN;1 or else
as SETUPLDR.BIN. The first variant is standard (';1' is "file version" as
described in ISO9660 and an obligatory part of the file name), the second
variant is used by Microsoft. The bootsectors NT5BOOT.BIN and NT4BOOT.BIN
will only find the file \I386\SETUPLDR.BIN if the ';1' is not present.