Is CCleaner any good?

Franky

      19th Aug 2004
Is CCleaner any good?

It is free and I found it at http://www.ccleaner.com/

But I did not see CCleaner in Pricelessware
http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist/alp.htm

Is there a reason it is not included?

dfrog

      19th Aug 2004

"Franky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Is CCleaner any good?
>
> It is free and I found it at http://www.ccleaner.com/
>
> But I did not see CCleaner in Pricelessware
> http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist/alp.htm
>
> Is there a reason it is not included?

I'm using Ccleaner on Win XP Home and have done for about 6 weeks now. I run
it after every Internet session and it works very quickly and cleanly for
me. I cannot fault it.

dfrog

Frank Delamarre

      19th Aug 2004
Franky <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Is there a reason it is not included?

Is there a reason why you did not tell us what it is and does?

Frank

Hello

      19th Aug 2004
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:13:28 +0200, Frank Delamarre
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Franky <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> Is there a reason it is not included?

>Is there a reason why you did not tell us what it is and does?

it works just fine... i've been using it for a couple of months on
both xp and w2k

it cleans indows, applications logs, and the registry ( separately)

By clean i mean remove history files, temp lfiles, cookies, unused
entries...etc

LPV

      20th Aug 2004
Hello wrote (regarding CCleaner experience):

> it works just fine... i've been using it for a couple of months on
> both xp and w2k
>
> it cleans indows, applications logs, and the registry ( separately)

Being registry-illiterate, I've been looking for a good XP registry cleaner.
As it relates to registry cleaning, do you (or anyone else, for that matter)
have any pros/cons, tips, etc. that you care to share? For example, has
CCleaner ever hosed your registry?

Thanks for any input you care to give.

Loren

John H.

      21st Aug 2004
LPV wrote:

> Hello wrote (regarding CCleaner experience):
>

>>it works just fine... i've been using it for a couple of months on
>>both xp and w2k
>>
>>it cleans indows, applications logs, and the registry ( separately)

> Being registry-illiterate, I've been looking for a good XP registry cleaner.
> As it relates to registry cleaning, do you (or anyone else, for that matter)
> have any pros/cons, tips, etc. that you care to share? For example, has
> CCleaner ever hosed your registry?
>
> Thanks for any input you care to give.
>
> Loren

We have Ccleaner installed on about 30 stations at work and have plans
to roll it out to the other 200. (run on boot). We've never had it
cause problems, and it seems to clear others up.

John H.

Jack Purvis

      21st Aug 2004
CCleaner is good but v-e-r-y aggressive. I suggest Regsweeper as a
better bet. Easier to understand and also freeware..

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:59:56 -0500, "LPV"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello wrote (regarding CCleaner experience):
>
>> it works just fine... i've been using it for a couple of months on
>> both xp and w2k
>>
>> it cleans indows, applications logs, and the registry ( separately)

>Being registry-illiterate, I've been looking for a good XP registry cleaner.
>As it relates to registry cleaning, do you (or anyone else, for that matter)
>have any pros/cons, tips, etc. that you care to share? For example, has
>CCleaner ever hosed your registry?
>
>Thanks for any input you care to give.
>
>Loren

Frank Delamarre

      21st Aug 2004
"John H." <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> We have Ccleaner installed on about 30 stations at work and have plans
> to roll it out to the other 200. (run on boot). We've never had it
> cause problems, and it seems to clear others up.

It does not erase files securely afaik, which means the file names
remain and (some) erased files can be undeleted.
HDCleaner does erase securely:

http://home.tiscali.de/zdata/hdcleaner.htm

For effective and safe registry cleaning I recommend Regseeker

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

Frank

Al Smith

      22nd Aug 2004
> Being registry-illiterate, I've been looking for a good XP registry cleaner.
> As it relates to registry cleaning, do you (or anyone else, for that matter)
> have any pros/cons, tips, etc. that you care to share? For example, has
> CCleaner ever hosed your registry?
>
> Thanks for any input you care to give.
>
> Loren

I just downloaded and tried CCleaner a couple of days ago. It
seems to work well.

dansheen

      22nd Aug 2004
Al Smith wrote:
>> Being registry-illiterate, I've been looking for a good XP registry
>> cleaner.
>> As it relates to registry cleaning, do you (or anyone else, for that
>> matter)
>> have any pros/cons, tips, etc. that you care to share? For example, has
>> CCleaner ever hosed your registry?
>>
>> Thanks for any input you care to give.
>>
>> Loren

It gives the option of saving the registry before making any changes.