PC Review

Cardex Service

1st Sep 2005
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone is able to help, i have the following error that seems to be occuring once or twice a day and it causes my PC to just reboot randomly:

The Cardex service failed to start due to the following error:
Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Its the only error in my event viewer so i can only assume this is the cause of the problem, i have searched the internet in vain but have yet to find a single solution (but a few people with the same problem).

My system is as follows:

Athlon 64 3500+
MSI Neo 2 Platinum Board
1024mb Crucial Ballistix Ram
Gainward 6800 GT Ultra
Maxtor 160GB SATA HDD
Benq DVD+RW
Cobra Gaming Case (3 internal fans)

Running on Windows XP Pro

If anyone could help I would be eternally gratefull

Regards

John

Captain Crunchie, Retired

1st Sep 2005
Go back to 'event viewer' and tell what was the proceeding line.

error 183 ... "ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS" ... is the closest I can get to your problem, but that deals with Win ME, primarily.

I am the dreadful menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.

1st Sep 2005
Hi, not really sure what you mean....the event after the Cardex error is the following:

The SSDP Discovery Service service entered the running state.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

This is not an error though. Like i said the only error i am receiving in the event viewer is the Cardex service error, and it seems to just make my PC reboot randomly.

1st Sep 2005
I was looking for the line before the 'error' in event viewer ... do you use the Cardex service, as it's not part of Windows, its a program.

I am the dreadful menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.

1st Sep 2005
The Remote Access Connection Manager service was successfully sent a start control.

This is the event BEFORE the cardex error, any help?

1st Sep 2005
I have no idea what the "Cardex Service" is. Its not listed under services in the admin tools.

1st Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekismo
I have no idea what the "Cardex Service" is. Its not listed under services in the admin tools.
I know, that is what is confusing me also ...

Usually, but not in your case, the line before the error is the cause of the error ... but as I said, in you case it is not.

Now where, what, who is this Cardex Service ... I'll see what I can find.

1st Sep 2005
Do you have a graphics card that has the brand name Cardex ... ?

Cluching at straws here ...

1st Sep 2005
My Graphics card is a Gainward Geforce 6800GT 2400 Golden Sample

1st Sep 2005
I'm at a loss I'm afraid ... I really do not like being beaten by a machine ... my exhausted arsonal comes up a blank.

Cardex, a company, used to make nVidia chipset based cards ... so they are out, Cardex is also a Card Indexing program/filing system ... I rulled them out 'cos its mainly paper based. Error 183 = "Cannot create a file when that file already exists" is old 98/ME pre XP

You got me ...

It seems only particular to your system

Sorry

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: