Capturing Streamed Video

CJB

      29th Jan 2010
I'm trying to capture streaming video clips from the BBC web site. I
understand that this is in FLV format, but direct recording is
blocked.

I have tried WMRecorder from Applian.com - but this screws up my codec
settings for playing normal video files - and doesn't work for me.

I have tried HiDownload (and FLVRecorder) from Streamingstar.com - but
this doesn't work for me either - and - WARNING - Norton reports that
there is a virus in the FLVRecorder.exe file.

And I have tried VLC - but the settings required are so complex, and
the latest version seems not to have a streaming video capture
feature.

Please someone advise me?

Many thanks - Chris Brady.

John Inzer

      29th Jan 2010
CJB wrote:
> I'm trying to capture streaming video clips from the BBC web site. I
> understand that this is in FLV format, but direct recording is
> blocked.
>
> I have tried WMRecorder from Applian.com - but this screws up my codec
> settings for playing normal video files - and doesn't work for me.
>
> I have tried HiDownload (and FLVRecorder) from Streamingstar.com - but
> this doesn't work for me either - and - WARNING - Norton reports that
> there is a virus in the FLVRecorder.exe file.
>
> And I have tried VLC - but the settings required are so complex, and
> the latest version seems not to have a streaming video capture
> feature.
>
> Please someone advise me?
>
> Many thanks - Chris Brady.

If you download and install the Mozilla Firefox Browser
and the Downloadhelper add-on you will be able to
download video from many sites. Maybe it will work
on the site you are referring to.

(FWIW...it's always a good idea to create a System
Restore point before installing software or updates)

Mozilla Firefox
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html

Video DownloadHelper

Once installed...launch Firefox and go to a site with video /
start the video / go to...Tools / Downloadhelper / Media /
Select the media file / Download...

Download Helper Tutorial Videos
http://www.downloadhelper.net/tutorials.php

Good luck...

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Andrew E.

      30th Jan 2010
You might look at this web page for answers.
http://search.microsoft.com/results....S&q=FLV+format
Also,as far as capturing audio/video,download the WM encoder,plus its
utilities.