Capture PPT presentation via direct video recording of screen

Mitch Gallant

      14th May 2006
Considering the various software products used for video-capture of
PowerPoint presentations (CamTasia, PowerVideoMaker etc..) which require
fairly good hardware and fast system resources for video capture, has anyone
tried DIRECTLY capturing the screen display, during a PowerPoint slide show,
using say a digital video camera (say on a tripod .. accurately alligned to
the screen) ?

I say this because I have use a relatively cheap digital camera (only 3
Megapixels) to take very high resolution pictures of many things with
external lighting (no flash) and a rock solid tripod.
What about the same thing for external video recording of say a 17" flat
panel display with a PPT slideshow?
Then converting that recording for DVD recording?

- Mitch

Austin Myers

      14th May 2006
BTDT, wasn't happy. Quality just wasn't what I wanted. But, as always,
"quality" is in the eye of the beholder. <g>

Austin Myers
MS PowerPoint MVP Team

Provider of PFCMedia http://www.pfcmedia.com

"Mitch Gallant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Considering the various software products used for video-capture of
> PowerPoint presentations (CamTasia, PowerVideoMaker etc..) which require
> fairly good hardware and fast system resources for video capture, has
> anyone tried DIRECTLY capturing the screen display, during a PowerPoint
> slide show, using say a digital video camera (say on a tripod ..
> accurately alligned to the screen) ?
>
> I say this because I have use a relatively cheap digital camera (only 3
> Megapixels) to take very high resolution pictures of many things with
> external lighting (no flash) and a rock solid tripod.
> What about the same thing for external video recording of say a 17" flat
> panel display with a PPT slideshow?
> Then converting that recording for DVD recording?
>
> - Mitch

Austin Myers

      14th May 2006
Mitch,

Give me a holler via email.

Austin Myers
MS PowerPoint MVP Team

Provider of PFCMedia http://www.pfcmedia.com

"Mitch Gallant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Considering the various software products used for video-capture of
> PowerPoint presentations (CamTasia, PowerVideoMaker etc..) which require
> fairly good hardware and fast system resources for video capture, has
> anyone tried DIRECTLY capturing the screen display, during a PowerPoint
> slide show, using say a digital video camera (say on a tripod ..
> accurately alligned to the screen) ?
>
> I say this because I have use a relatively cheap digital camera (only 3
> Megapixels) to take very high resolution pictures of many things with
> external lighting (no flash) and a rock solid tripod.
> What about the same thing for external video recording of say a 17" flat
> panel display with a PPT slideshow?
> Then converting that recording for DVD recording?
>
> - Mitch

Steve Rindsberg

      14th May 2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mitch Gallant wrote:
> Considering the various software products used for video-capture of
> PowerPoint presentations (CamTasia, PowerVideoMaker etc..) which require
> fairly good hardware and fast system resources for video capture, has anyone
> tried DIRECTLY capturing the screen display, during a PowerPoint slide show,
> using say a digital video camera (say on a tripod .. accurately alligned to
> the screen) ?
>
> I say this because I have use a relatively cheap digital camera (only 3
> Megapixels) to take very high resolution pictures of many things with
> external lighting (no flash) and a rock solid tripod.
> What about the same thing for external video recording of say a 17" flat
> panel display with a PPT slideshow?
> Then converting that recording for DVD recording?

It sounds like you'd get all the quality of recording to video from the PC's TV
output port ... which is to say "not much". And less. A set of optics and
another device in between that aren't there going from TV out to Video In.

But you'd get to have all that fun tripping over the tripod and squaring up the
camera with the display, darkening the room and all that. I'd hate to deprive
you ;-)

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com