Capture LPT1 to a USB printer

Bill Meyer

      11th Apr 2008
Anyone have a way to make a USB printer capture the LPT1 port? I have a DOS
program that will only print to a parallel port. With some of the new
printers that only have USB connections a DOS program can't print to them.
There is no replacement for this program and it still runs fine on XP and
Vista. Just this printer problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Have A Great Day!
Bill Meyer

Leonard Grey

      11th Apr 2008
Why not try a USB-to-parallel adapter.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Bill Meyer wrote:
> Anyone have a way to make a USB printer capture the LPT1 port? I have a DOS
> program that will only print to a parallel port. With some of the new
> printers that only have USB connections a DOS program can't print to them.
> There is no replacement for this program and it still runs fine on XP and
> Vista. Just this printer problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ken Blake, MVP

      11th Apr 2008
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:58:27 -0400, "Bill Meyer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Anyone have a way to make a USB printer capture the LPT1 port? I have a DOS
> program that will only print to a parallel port. With some of the new
> printers that only have USB connections a DOS program can't print to them.
> There is no replacement for this program and it still runs fine on XP and
> Vista. Just this printer problem. Thanks in advance for any help.

Set up the printer as a shared printer
Issue the command
NET USE LPT1: \\computername\sharedprintername

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Claymore

      11th Apr 2008
On Apr 11, 1:58*pm, "Bill Meyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Anyone have a way to make a USB printer capture the LPT1 port? I have a DOS
> program that will only print to a parallel port. With some of the new
> printers that only have USB connections a DOS program can't print to them.
> There is no replacement for this program and it still runs fine on XP and
> Vista. Just this printer problem. Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> --
> Have A Great Day!
> Bill Meyer

Hello Bill,

As you know, you can't normally print from DOS to a USB printer. With
an adapter, you can print from a USB port to a serial printer, but not
vice-versa.
Until recently, I was printing to a file from within the program
(creates a .prn file), then importing the .prn file to a word
processor, and then printing to the USB printer from there. All too
laborious. Then I discovered this, which expands on Mr. Blake's
solution:

http://geekswithblogs.net/dtotzke/articles/26204.aspx

Bill Meyer

      11th Apr 2008
Hi Ken & Claymore
Thank You both for your Quick and helpful response! I will let you know
which way works the best and easiest.

--
Have A Great Day!
Bill Meyer

Ken Blake, MVP

      11th Apr 2008
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:57:00 -0400, "Bill Meyer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Hi Ken & Claymore
> Thank You both for your Quick and helpful response! I will let you know
> which way works the best and easiest.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Claymore

      12th Apr 2008
On Apr 11, 5:57*pm, "Bill Meyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi Ken & Claymore
> * * Thank You both for your Quick and helpful response! I will let youknow
> which way works the best and easiest.
>
> --
> Have A Great Day!
> Bill Meyer

Hello again Bill,

If you don't mind spending a few bucks, there's these:

http://www.dos2usb.com/?gclid=CPfNya...FQsrswodQDcFAA
$20US

http://www.printfil.com/english.htm?...FQezsgod8yt9-Q
79 euros

Bill Meyer

      12th Apr 2008
Hi Claymore
Thanks for the extras.

--
Have A Great Day!
Bill Meyer

Stan Brown

      13th Apr 2008
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:40:10 -0700 from Ken Blake, MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)>:
[to print from a DOS program]

> Set up the printer as a shared printer
> Issue the command
> NET USE LPT1: \\computername\sharedprintername

Ken,

I tried this command:
net use lpt1: "\\TALLEYRAND\Brother HL5250-DN duplex"
and the response was
System error 67 has occurred.
The network name cannot be found.

What am I doing wrong? I got the computer name from the
%COMPUTERNAME% environment variable, and the printer name from the
Printer Properties dialog. I don't imagine the names are case
sensitive, but I matched the case exactly anyway.

I tried this both with the printer not connected and with the printer
connected.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Rich/rerat

      13th Apr 2008
Stan Brown,
Try renaming the printer in the Printer folder to less than 13 characters
without a space.
Brother HL5250-DN duplex gets changed to something like this:
BroHL5250
So the command becomes:
NET USE LPT1: \\computername\BroHL5250

Rich/rerat
(RRR News) <message rule>

"Stan Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:40:10 -0700 from Ken Blake, MVP
[to print from a DOS program]