Capacity of harddrive is shown incorrectly

Martin Rådbo

      30th Nov 2007
We have a problem that WinXP-based computer in some cases thinks that it has
a harddrive of only 2 GB.

Windows XP prof, latest service pack, no other problems. HD is 80 GB, ATA,
and I think the amount of data is around 10 GB.

This happens for several clients computers in our network. Explorer, right
click on C:\, properties shows total space on drive is 2 GB and free amount
of space is 678 MB.
Another way is to open a harddrive tool, for example "defrag", total
capacity: 2 GB, free space: 69 GB, free space in procent 3320 %.

Open disk manager is fine, shows a 80 GB harddrive.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Martin Rådbo
Teknologia

Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk

      2nd Dec 2007
Martin Rådbo wrote:

> We have a problem that WinXP-based computer in some cases thinks that it has
> a harddrive of only 2 GB.
> Windows XP prof, latest service pack, no other problems. HD is 80 GB, ATA,
> and I think the amount of data is around 10 GB.
> This happens for several clients computers in our network. Explorer, right
> click on C:\, properties shows total space on drive is 2 GB and free amount
> of space is 678 MB.
> Another way is to open a harddrive tool, for example "defrag", total
> capacity: 2 GB, free space: 69 GB, free space in procent 3320 %.
> Open disk manager is fine, shows a 80 GB harddrive.
> Any ideas?

Windows XP Does Not Recognize All Available Disk Space -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316505

--
Regards
Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk