Can't uncheck "Display online status next to a person name"

DC Gringo

      11th Apr 2008
I have Outlook 2007 performance problems and am trying the advice to uncheck
"Display online status next to a person name".

No matter how many times I do it, shut-down restart, shut-down restart the
whole machine, wait for error-checking of the pst file, the option checks
itself back on.

I have WinXP Pro w/latest service pack and all updates. I have only Windows
Messenger installed, no other MS chat client nor Office Communicator.

How can I disable it permanently?

Please help!

DC G

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      11th Apr 2008
it uses windows messenger to get the status. which version of messenger is
installed?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

"DC Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have Outlook 2007 performance problems and am trying the advice to
>uncheck "Display online status next to a person name".
>
> No matter how many times I do it, shut-down restart, shut-down restart the
> whole machine, wait for error-checking of the pst file, the option checks
> itself back on.
>
> I have WinXP Pro w/latest service pack and all updates. I have only
> Windows Messenger installed, no other MS chat client nor Office
> Communicator.
>
> How can I disable it permanently?
>
> Please help!
>
> DC G

VanguardLH

      11th Apr 2008
DC Gringo wrote:

> I have Outlook 2007 performance problems and am trying the advice to uncheck
> "Display online status next to a person name".
>
> No matter how many times I do it, shut-down restart, shut-down restart the
> whole machine, wait for error-checking of the pst file, the option checks
> itself back on.
>
> I have WinXP Pro w/latest service pack and all updates. I have only Windows
> Messenger installed, no other MS chat client nor Office Communicator.
>
> How can I disable it permanently?

Go into Outlook options and disable Messenger integration. It is under
the Other tab in OL2002's options. Navigation and title for the option
may differ in your version.

DC Gringo

      14th Apr 2008
Vanguard,

Thanks for responding.

FYI, I have OL2007 (Enterprise), not 2002. I went into Tools | Options |
Other | Person Names ...and disabled the checkbox which says:

"Display online status next to a person name"

But whether I apply it, apply and restart Outlook, or apply and restart
outlook and restart the machine, it always comes back.

I've also unchecked all the add-ins...

Please help!

DC G

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> DC Gringo wrote:
>
>> I have Outlook 2007 performance problems and am trying the advice to
>> uncheck
>> "Display online status next to a person name".
>>
>> No matter how many times I do it, shut-down restart, shut-down restart
>> the
>> whole machine, wait for error-checking of the pst file, the option checks
>> itself back on.
>>
>> I have WinXP Pro w/latest service pack and all updates. I have only
>> Windows
>> Messenger installed, no other MS chat client nor Office Communicator.
>>
>> How can I disable it permanently?

> Go into Outlook options and disable Messenger integration. It is under
> the Other tab in OL2002's options. Navigation and title for the option
> may differ in your version.

DC Gringo

      14th Apr 2008
Diane,

Thanks for responding.

I have only Windows Messager, default version that comes with XP Pro,
4.7.3001

DC G

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> it uses windows messenger to get the status. which version of messenger is
> installed?
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> (E-Mail Removed)

> (E-Mail Removed)
>

> "DC Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have Outlook 2007 performance problems and am trying the advice to
>>uncheck "Display online status next to a person name".
>>
>> No matter how many times I do it, shut-down restart, shut-down restart
>> the whole machine, wait for error-checking of the pst file, the option
>> checks itself back on.
>>
>> I have WinXP Pro w/latest service pack and all updates. I have only
>> Windows Messenger installed, no other MS chat client nor Office
>> Communicator.
>>
>> How can I disable it permanently?
>>
>> Please help!
>>
>> DC G

VanguardLH

      15th Apr 2008
DC Gringo wrote:

> Vanguard,
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
> FYI, I have OL2007 (Enterprise), not 2002. I went into Tools | Options |
> Other | Person Names ...and disabled the checkbox which says:
>
> "Display online status next to a person name"
>
> But whether I apply it, apply and restart Outlook, or apply and restart
> outlook and restart the machine, it always comes back.
>
> I've also unchecked all the add-ins...

Do you have MSN Messenger installed? As I recall from trying it years
ago, it will set this option in Outlook because, well after all, you
installed their chat client so you must want to integrate it with
Outlook, right? Might be no but that's not what they assume. If you
have MSN Messenger installed and don't want want to uninstall it but
don't want to integrate it with Outlook then see if MSN Messenger has an
option to kill that integration.

There are 2 "Messenger" programs that get confused with each other: MSN
Messenger and Windows Messenger. They are both instant prattle clients
and I suspect MSN Messenger is the more updated and more featured
version. I don't use either, have always not included Windows Messenger
in a Windows XP install, and don't bother with the MSN Messenger. To
uninstall Windows Messenger, go to the Add/Remove Programs applet in
Control Panel, click on the Add/Remove Windows Components button, and in
that window uncheck the Windows Messenger component to uninstall it.
MSN Messenger should be listed in the Add/Remove Programs applet to
uninstall it. I figure "online status" would have to relate to a chat
client since no e-mail client is "online" for its users and only goes
online when it establishes a mail session which doesn't involve
interaction with the user, anyway.

There is another "lookup service" that can cause a delay. In OL2002,
Tools -> Email Accounts -> View or change existing directories or
address books. Navigation may differ in your Outlook version.
Directories can be used to lookup e-mail addresses but they take time.
See if you have anything listed other than Outlook Address Book. This
doesn't have to do with your specific problem. I only mention it
because it yet another avenue that generates delays in checking e-mail
addresses besides the messenger status online lookup.

Found some hints here:
http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/03/m...-slow-fix.html