I can't sync text that I add to a reoccurring event in my calendar

Michael

      28th May 2010
I hope someone can help. In my outlook calendar I have a reoccurring event
(daily) that I add information to, usually on a daily basis. However, as its
a repeated event, wehn I sync this to my phone the added text DOES NOT sync
across......Can someone please advise me whether I can do this or not? The
same problem occurs if I add info (text) to the same reoccuring event on my
phone and then try and sync with my PC Outlook Calendar. It works fine if its
a standalone event....
Regards
Michael.

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

      28th May 2010
AFAIK, you cannot sync the additional notes as the recurring appt. is
actually a single instance that has a recurrence pattern. It is not a
series of distinct events that can be synched individually.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

ALWAYS post your Outlook version.

After furious head scratching, Michael asked:

| I hope someone can help. In my outlook calendar I have a reoccurring
| event (daily) that I add information to, usually on a daily basis.
| However, as its a repeated event, wehn I sync this to my phone the
| added text DOES NOT sync across......Can someone please advise me
| whether I can do this or not? The same problem occurs if I add info
| (text) to the same reoccuring event on my phone and then try and sync
| with my PC Outlook Calendar. It works fine if its a standalone
| event....
| Regards
| Michael.

Michael

      28th May 2010
ok - i get that - maybe I need to ask the question - is there a way I can add
notes that will sync across my Calendar and phone without having to create a
different appointment daily? and opposed to creating an individual calendar??

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

> AFAIK, you cannot sync the additional notes as the recurring appt. is
> actually a single instance that has a recurrence pattern. It is not a
> series of distinct events that can be synched individually.
>
> --
> Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact.
> ALWAYS post your Outlook version.
> How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>

> After furious head scratching, Michael asked:
>
> | I hope someone can help. In my outlook calendar I have a reoccurring
> | event (daily) that I add information to, usually on a daily basis.
> | However, as its a repeated event, wehn I sync this to my phone the
> | added text DOES NOT sync across......Can someone please advise me
> | whether I can do this or not? The same problem occurs if I add info
> | (text) to the same reoccuring event on my phone and then try and sync
> | with my PC Outlook Calendar. It works fine if its a standalone
> | event....
> | Regards
> | Michael.
>

> .

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

      28th May 2010
"Michael" <Michael @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

>I hope someone can help. In my outlook calendar I have a reoccurring event
> (daily) that I add information to, usually on a daily basis. However, as its
> a repeated event, wehn I sync this to my phone the added text DOES NOT sync
> across......Can someone please advise me whether I can do this or not? The
> same problem occurs if I add info (text) to the same reoccuring event on my
> phone and then try and sync with my PC Outlook Calendar. It works fine if
> its
> a standalone event....

Despite how they look, recurring events are single items in your calendar.
When you modify one occurrence, you are instructing Outlook to add an
exception to that event, and Outlook keeps that list of exceptions and applies
them when it displays the occurrence. Apparently, whatever software you use
to sync cannot handle the exceptions. That's simply a fact you'll have to
live with.

Your approach has other consequences, though. If for some reason you must
change the event, anything you change that affects the series will cause all
exceptions to be erased and the recurrences regenerated afresh. This will
remove all of those notes you've entered for the various occurrences. Are you
sure you're willing to run this risk? You may be better off making a series
of discreet events so they are all individual entries on the calendar. You
can then change any of them and not be concerned that a modification can wipe
them all out. Make your series of events, say, a year's worth and then you
can add more when you wish.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]