Can't send/receive!!

Mark

      30th Sep 2008
I am so frustrated. This is a bad joke. Basically, I can logon to mail,
create contacts, etc. I can email myself (using Mail). I can read the email
I sent myself by going to Google.com hitting GMail, etc.
There is one crtical item I can't do. I can't receive email using Mail.
Any ideas. I went to Tools, Accounts, ADD to create an account (after
deleting the old one so I could start from scratch). It asked me for my
email address, etc. It also asked me for incoming mail server (POP3) which
is pop.gmail.com and the outgoing mail server which is smtp.gmail.com It
asked for my user name, password, checked the box my server requires
authentification.

Go to Advanced:
ougoing server 465
incoming server 995
Check this server requires secure connection-SSL
Server timeouts I put 5

Any thoughts?

And I have to tell you, I'm a nice guy. I like helping people. But at this
point I think I'd play dead if I was in your shoes. I would be pretty over
me!
Thank you for your help and your time, Gary. When you get the chance,lLet
me know what you think I should try next.

--
Mark

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> Let us know if you need more help. That's what I'm here for.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Gary,
> > I really appreciate your help. Went back over it. you were right. I didn't
> > have it set right. Good news: I can now logon and I get email from the
> > google sight.
> > Bad news: not receiving mail from Mail
> > Working real late so tonight so I'm going to simply delete the account and
> > start from scratch. One problem I am experiencing is that I don't have the
> > screens that the help instructions provided. Beleive it's the Wizard
> > running. So I am going into tools, accounts, properties, advanced and doing
> > it from there.
> > I'll let you know how it turns out.
> > --
> > Mark
> >

> > "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
> >
> >> You're still not following those Gmail setup instructions.
> >> The incoming (POP3) server uses port 995 (not 110), and its SSL
> >> option must be enabled.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Gary VanderMolen

      30th Sep 2008
It appears that your settings for Gmail are correct now.

One quirk: Gmail does not allow you to download any emails you
send to yourself, so that hampers troubleshooting. If you have a free
Hotmail account, you can use it to send a message to your Gmail
account, which Gmail will then allow to download to Windows Mail.

If that test fails, do you get any error message when you try to download email?

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am so frustrated. This is a bad joke. Basically, I can logon to mail,
> create contacts, etc. I can email myself (using Mail). I can read the email
> I sent myself by going to Google.com hitting GMail, etc.
> There is one crtical item I can't do. I can't receive email using Mail.
> Any ideas. I went to Tools, Accounts, ADD to create an account (after
> deleting the old one so I could start from scratch). It asked me for my
> email address, etc. It also asked me for incoming mail server (POP3) which
> is pop.gmail.com and the outgoing mail server which is smtp.gmail.com It
> asked for my user name, password, checked the box my server requires
> authentification.
>
> Go to Advanced:
> ougoing server 465
> incoming server 995
> Check this server requires secure connection-SSL
> Server timeouts I put 5
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> And I have to tell you, I'm a nice guy. I like helping people. But at this
> point I think I'd play dead if I was in your shoes. I would be pretty over
> me!
> Thank you for your help and your time, Gary. When you get the chance,lLet
> me know what you think I should try next.
>
> --
> Mark
>

> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> Let us know if you need more help. That's what I'm here for.
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>>

>> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi Gary,
>> > I really appreciate your help. Went back over it. you were right. I didn't
>> > have it set right. Good news: I can now logon and I get email from the
>> > google sight.
>> > Bad news: not receiving mail from Mail
>> > Working real late so tonight so I'm going to simply delete the account and
>> > start from scratch. One problem I am experiencing is that I don't have the
>> > screens that the help instructions provided. Beleive it's the Wizard
>> > running. So I am going into tools, accounts, properties, advanced and doing
>> > it from there.
>> > I'll let you know how it turns out.
>> > --
>> > Mark

Mark

      4th Oct 2008
Gary,
I'll let you know as soon as I can get someone to email me. OHHH, I'm
hoping this is it.
One question I meant to ask fromm the outset but never asked. Why can't I
utilize the "NEW" box. I had to ask questions from the "Reply" box because
when I hit NEW I heard a noise but no dialog box ever appeared? Whether it
was a new question or comment didn't matter. No dialog box.
Thanks
--
Mark

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> It appears that your settings for Gmail are correct now.
>
> One quirk: Gmail does not allow you to download any emails you
> send to yourself, so that hampers troubleshooting. If you have a free
> Hotmail account, you can use it to send a message to your Gmail
> account, which Gmail will then allow to download to Windows Mail.
>
> If that test fails, do you get any error message when you try to download email?
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am so frustrated. This is a bad joke. Basically, I can logon to mail,
> > create contacts, etc. I can email myself (using Mail). I can read the email
> > I sent myself by going to Google.com hitting GMail, etc.
> > There is one crtical item I can't do. I can't receive email using Mail.
> > Any ideas. I went to Tools, Accounts, ADD to create an account (after
> > deleting the old one so I could start from scratch). It asked me for my
> > email address, etc. It also asked me for incoming mail server (POP3) which
> > is pop.gmail.com and the outgoing mail server which is smtp.gmail.com It
> > asked for my user name, password, checked the box my server requires
> > authentification.
> >
> > Go to Advanced:
> > ougoing server 465
> > incoming server 995
> > Check this server requires secure connection-SSL
> > Server timeouts I put 5
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > And I have to tell you, I'm a nice guy. I like helping people. But at this
> > point I think I'd play dead if I was in your shoes. I would be pretty over
> > me!
> > Thank you for your help and your time, Gary. When you get the chance,lLet
> > me know what you think I should try next.
> >
> > --
> > Mark
> >

> > "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
> >
> >> Let us know if you need more help. That's what I'm here for.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Gary VanderMolen

      4th Oct 2008
I presume you are talking about the web interface for this forum
(actually a newsgroup). The web interface is known to be very buggy,
which is why we responders don't use it. It is much better to use the
very nice newsgroup reader that comes included with Windows Mail.
See if you can open this link:

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gary,
> I'll let you know as soon as I can get someone to email me. OHHH, I'm
> hoping this is it.
> One question I meant to ask fromm the outset but never asked. Why can't I
> utilize the "NEW" box. I had to ask questions from the "Reply" box because
> when I hit NEW I heard a noise but no dialog box ever appeared? Whether it
> was a new question or comment didn't matter. No dialog box.
> Thanks
> --
> Mark
>

> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> It appears that your settings for Gmail are correct now.
>>
>> One quirk: Gmail does not allow you to download any emails you
>> send to yourself, so that hampers troubleshooting. If you have a free
>> Hotmail account, you can use it to send a message to your Gmail
>> account, which Gmail will then allow to download to Windows Mail.
>>
>> If that test fails, do you get any error message when you try to download email?
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>>

>> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I am so frustrated. This is a bad joke. Basically, I can logon to mail,
>> > create contacts, etc. I can email myself (using Mail). I can read the email
>> > I sent myself by going to Google.com hitting GMail, etc.
>> > There is one crtical item I can't do. I can't receive email using Mail.
>> > Any ideas. I went to Tools, Accounts, ADD to create an account (after
>> > deleting the old one so I could start from scratch). It asked me for my
>> > email address, etc. It also asked me for incoming mail server (POP3) which
>> > is pop.gmail.com and the outgoing mail server which is smtp.gmail.com It
>> > asked for my user name, password, checked the box my server requires
>> > authentification.
>> >
>> > Go to Advanced:
>> > ougoing server 465
>> > incoming server 995
>> > Check this server requires secure connection-SSL
>> > Server timeouts I put 5
>> >
>> > Any thoughts?
>> >
>> > And I have to tell you, I'm a nice guy. I like helping people. But at this
>> > point I think I'd play dead if I was in your shoes. I would be pretty over
>> > me!
>> > Thank you for your help and your time, Gary. When you get the chance,lLet
>> > me know what you think I should try next.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Mark

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

      8th Oct 2008
> Gary,
> I'll let you know as soon as I can get someone to email me. OHHH, I'm
> hoping this is it.
> One question I meant to ask fromm the outset but never asked. Why can't I
> utilize the "NEW" box. I had to ask questions from the "Reply" box
> because
> when I hit NEW I heard a noise but no dialog box ever appeared? Whether
> it
> was a new question or comment didn't matter. No dialog box.

Turn off your non-Microsoft popup blocker when using the Web interface to
newsgroups.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

fletch68

      14th Dec 2008
Hi
Can anyone help me. I have just had a healthcheck done aand now cant
send/receive mail. Its asking for a user name nd password. The message I
get is

Account: 'pop.sky.com', Server: 'pop.tools.sky.com', Protocol: POP3, Server
Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.', Port: 995,
Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

"Help!" wrote:

> Hi, out of the blue I am now being asked to enter in my username and password
> when I go into windows mail - how can I fix!!
>

> Account: 'pop.tools.sky.com', Server: 'pop.tools.sky.com', Protocol: POP3,
> Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.', Port:
> 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Gary VanderMolen

      15th Dec 2008
Your settings are good. Which antivirus do you have?
That type of problem is usually caused by interference from a non-
compatible antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

Email scanning in any antivirus must be disabled, for reasons
explained here:
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

If no improvement after disabling email scanning, consider upgrading
to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects
from overly intrusive antivirus programs:
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

--

"fletch68" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Can anyone help me. I have just had a healthcheck done aand now cant
> send/receive mail. Its asking for a user name nd password. The message I
> get is
>
> Account: 'pop.sky.com', Server: 'pop.tools.sky.com', Protocol: POP3, Server
> Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.', Port: 995,
> Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92
>

> "Help!" wrote:
>
>> Hi, out of the blue I am now being asked to enter in my username and password
>> when I go into windows mail - how can I fix!!
>>

>> Account: 'pop.tools.sky.com', Server: 'pop.tools.sky.com', Protocol: POP3,
>> Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.', Port:
>> 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

fletch68

      16th Dec 2008
Our antivirus is Norton.

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> Your settings are good. Which antivirus do you have?
> That type of problem is usually caused by interference from a non-
> compatible antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running?
> As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
> although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
> In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.
>
> Email scanning in any antivirus must be disabled, for reasons
> explained here:
> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
>
> If no improvement after disabling email scanning, consider upgrading
> to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects
> from overly intrusive antivirus programs:
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "fletch68" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> > Can anyone help me. I have just had a healthcheck done aand now cant
> > send/receive mail. Its asking for a user name nd password. The message I
> > get is
> >
> > Account: 'pop.sky.com', Server: 'pop.tools.sky.com', Protocol: POP3, Server
> > Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.', Port: 995,
> > Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92
> >

> > "Help!" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, out of the blue I am now being asked to enter in my username and password
> >> when I go into windows mail - how can I fix!!
> >>

> >> Account: 'pop.tools.sky.com', Server: 'pop.tools.sky.com', Protocol: POP3,
> >> Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] Username and password not accepted.', Port:
> >> 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Gary VanderMolen

      17th Dec 2008
Norton Antivirus 2008 (and earlier) is among the top three troublemakers
for Windows Mail. Symptoms often don't surface until several months have
gone by, or until an update occurs.
First, be sure to disable its email scanning, for the reason explained here:
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

Several users here have reported that Symantec will give you a free
upgrade to Norton Antivirus 2009, which cures the problem.

In a worst case scenario, you may have to uninstall Norton, followed by
using their debris removal tool:
http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039

Instead of uninstalling your antivirus, another option is to upgrade to
Windows Live Mail, which is more resistant to the adverse effects of overly
intrusive antivirus products: http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview