can't send outbound emails

chamone

      9th Mar 2008
Mcaffee security system is stopping all my out bound emails,i get an error
message stating"relaying not allowed-please use SMTP AUTH".

What does this mean? it is a new computer and i have been unable to send
emails since i got it.

Bob F.

      9th Mar 2008
"chamone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mcaffee security system is stopping all my out bound emails,i get an error
> message stating"relaying not allowed-please use SMTP AUTH".
>
> What does this mean? it is a new computer and i have been unable to send
> emails since i got it.

It means you have not filled in the configuration boxes for the smtp section
in your e-mail. You need your password set and to check "my provider needs
authorization". Please find the setup information on your mail provider web
page and set up your client. If you want to tell us who that is, then maybe
we can provide more pointers. Hold off on you McAfee assumption until we
configure your mail properly. Thousands of us have McAfee and it's working
fine.

--
BobF.

      10th Mar 2008

"chamone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mcaffee security system is stopping all my out bound emails,i get an error
> message stating"relaying not allowed-please use SMTP AUTH".
>
> What does this mean? it is a new computer and i have been unable to send
> emails since i got it.

Such messages usually come from the email server you are trying to
connect to, not from a McAfee program. If your connection to the
server crosses over from one internet provider's equipment to
another, and uses port 25, such connections are often blocked to
cause trouble for spammers. If this is your problem, ask your email
provider if they allow you to use any other port to connect to their
outgoing server, and if so, the details of how to switch over. Just
trying all the ports is a very slow way to find out; there are about
65,000 ports available.

Gary VanderMolen

      10th Mar 2008
If that error message is really coming from McAfee, then (as a minimum)
you need to configure McAfee not to scan emails. Email scanning causes
corruption in Windows Mail.
If the error message continues, right-click on it, copy, then paste it
into a reply here.
--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (WLMail)