can't send emails

Kelly

      2nd Sep 2009
I can not send outgoing mail in windows mail. I called my internet company
and they cant figure it out either. I can receive, but i can't send. someone
please help.. this is the error message i get....

Account: 'pop.east.cox.net', Server: 'smtp.east.cox.net', Protocol: SMTP,
Server Response: '550 5.1.1 relaying not allowed', Port: 25, Secure(SSL):
No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Gary VanderMolen

      2nd Sep 2009
The key part of the error message is "relaying not allowed."
When you got that error message, was your Internet connection coming
from Cox?

Try this:
Go to Tools, Accounts, select that account, Properties, Servers.
Enable the "My server requires authentication" option. Click OK.
Now try sending.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen

"Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I can not send outgoing mail in windows mail. I called my internet company
> and they cant figure it out either. I can receive, but i can't send. someone
> please help.. this is the error message i get....
>
> The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be
> correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this
> problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the
> "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining
> the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider.
>
> The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be
> correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this
> problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the
> "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining
> the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider.
>
> Account: 'pop.east.cox.net', Server: 'smtp.east.cox.net', Protocol: SMTP,
> Server Response: '550 5.1.1 relaying not allowed', Port: 25, Secure(SSL):
> No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Sam Hobbs

      2nd Sep 2009
See:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...9%20relay&ac=8

There are a few results there, but they seem to all be for Outlook and
Exchange Server and such. It might actually be a problem with the server,
but that is only a guess based on the results from above.

"Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I can not send outgoing mail in windows mail. I called my internet company
> and they cant figure it out either. I can receive, but i can't send.
> someone
> please help.. this is the error message i get....
>
> The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be
> correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this
> problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the
> "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining
> the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider.
>
> The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be
> correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this
> problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the
> "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining
> the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider.
>
> Account: 'pop.east.cox.net', Server: 'smtp.east.cox.net', Protocol: SMTP,
> Server Response: '550 5.1.1 relaying not allowed', Port: 25, Secure(SSL):
> No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

jody jensen

      3rd Sep 2009
has anyone figured out how to send emails with windows mail ?
"Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I can not send outgoing mail in windows mail. I called my internet company
> and they cant figure it out either. I can receive, but i can't send.
> someone
> please help.. this is the error message i get....
>
> The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be
> correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this
> problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the
> "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining
> the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider.
>
> The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be
> correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this
> problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the
> "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining
> the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider.
>
> Account: 'pop.east.cox.net', Server: 'smtp.east.cox.net', Protocol: SMTP,
> Server Response: '550 5.1.1 relaying not allowed', Port: 25, Secure(SSL):
> No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Sinner

      3rd Sep 2009

"jody jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> has anyone figured out how to send emails with windows mail ?

Nope. Like you, we're all to stupid to have a computer.

Dave

      3rd Sep 2009
Yes.

--
Windows 7 RC
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"jody jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> has anyone figured out how to send emails with windows mail ?
> "Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I can not send outgoing mail in windows mail. I called my internet company
>> and they cant figure it out either. I can receive, but i can't send.
>> someone
>> please help.. this is the error message i get....
>>
>> The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be
>> correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this
>> problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the
>> "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help
>> determining
>> the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider.
>>
>> The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be
>> correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this
>> problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the
>> "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help
>> determining
>> the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider.
>>
>> Account: 'pop.east.cox.net', Server: 'smtp.east.cox.net', Protocol: SMTP,
>> Server Response: '550 5.1.1 relaying not allowed', Port: 25,
>> Secure(SSL):
>> No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Gary VanderMolen

      3rd Sep 2009
Nope. No one has figured it out. How could Microsoft release a mail
program that won't send???
Seriously, if you need help, right-click on your error message, copy,
then paste it into a reply here.
We can't do much troubleshooting without the complete error message.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen

"jody jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> has anyone figured out how to send emails with windows mail ?

Don Ameche

      3rd Jan 2010

"Don Ameche" wrote:

> The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider.

The rejected e-mail address was '(E-Mail Removed)'. Subject
'6666', Account: 'Ameche', Server: 'smtp.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP,
Server Response: '553 From address not verified - see
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/manage/sendfrom-07.html',
Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC78
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
> > Nope. No one has figured it out. How could Microsoft release a mail
> > program that won't send???
> > Seriously, if you need help, right-click on your error message, copy,
> > then paste it into a reply here.
> > We can't do much troubleshooting without the complete error message.
> >
> > --
> > Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen
> >

> > "jody jensen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > has anyone figured out how to send emails with windows mail ?

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

      4th Jan 2010
Port 25 is not recommended for that mail server. Change it to port 465
with SSL. The correct settings are documented here:
http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401738

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le/vandermolen