PC Review

Closed Thread

Can't Send Email from Outlooik While Traveling

BobT.

      16th Dec 2009
I'm traveling. While charter.net is my home ISP and I can send email using
Charter's own Webmail system, I cannot send using my Microsoft Outlook 2003
SP3 from anywhere today. I've tried using the free Wi-Fi at Panera Bread and
I've tried a home network here which is using AOL. I even changed the
outgoing server address to <smtp.aol.com> while at the local home using AOL
from <smtp.charter.net> which I use at my home location and I was using at
Panera Bread. (I also tried <mail.charter.net> which is what Charter
suggested, and that didn't work either.>) My Outlook tells me it is
processing my outbox
messages but then tells me it failed. And, indeed, it has failed.
Everything is still sitting in my Outbox and nothing shows in my Sent Mail
file. I use XP Pro SP3 as my OS. Can anyone help me to send email from
Microsoft Outlook while I'm traveling these next few days? (Incoming mail
works just fine.) Authentication is NOT selected, as I never have to do
that at home on my home domain. I've tried selecting authentication and each
of the three ways to do so - but still I can't get mail to Send. I've
checked with Charter and they claim that as I can send and receive using
their Webmail system it's not their problem but it's Microsoft's. I really
don't care whose problem it is...I just want it to work! Any help will be
greatly appreciated!!!

Roady [MVP]

      16th Dec 2009
You do have to enable authentication when you are no longer on their network
(like you are from home).
Remove all the messages from your Outbox, enable the authentication option,
restart Outlook and try sending again.

Also, do you have a virus scanner installed which integrates itself with
Outlook? Uninstall this integration part of your virus scanner and try
again; you'd still be sufficiently protected by your on-access scanner part
of the virus scanner. For more details see;
http://www.msoutlook.info/question/20

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

"BobT." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm traveling. While charter.net is my home ISP and I can send email
> using
> Charter's own Webmail system, I cannot send using my Microsoft Outlook
> 2003
> SP3 from anywhere today. I've tried using the free Wi-Fi at Panera Bread
> and
> I've tried a home network here which is using AOL. I even changed the
> outgoing server address to <smtp.aol.com> while at the local home using
> AOL
> from <smtp.charter.net> which I use at my home location and I was using at
> Panera Bread. (I also tried <mail.charter.net> which is what Charter
> suggested, and that didn't work either.>) My Outlook tells me it is
> processing my outbox
> messages but then tells me it failed. And, indeed, it has failed.
> Everything is still sitting in my Outbox and nothing shows in my Sent Mail
> file. I use XP Pro SP3 as my OS. Can anyone help me to send email from
> Microsoft Outlook while I'm traveling these next few days? (Incoming mail
> works just fine.) Authentication is NOT selected, as I never have to do
> that at home on my home domain. I've tried selecting authentication and
> each
> of the three ways to do so - but still I can't get mail to Send. I've
> checked with Charter and they claim that as I can send and receive using
> their Webmail system it's not their problem but it's Microsoft's. I
> really
> don't care whose problem it is...I just want it to work! Any help will be
> greatly appreciated!!!

BobT.

      16th Dec 2009
I've followed each of your suggestions - took all mail out of my Outbox,
restarted Outlook, set up authentication (using the first radio dial),
disabled email scanning in my Kaspersky Internet Security, and then tired
sending each of my outbound emails again - unfiortunately with exactly the
same results: an error message that says I can't send email! I appreciate
your efforts to help me. Any other recommendations to try? I'm very
frustrated and need to send emails for business while traveling. Thanks,
again.

"Roady [MVP]" wrote:

> You do have to enable authentication when you are no longer on their network
> (like you are from home).
> Remove all the messages from your Outbox, enable the authentication option,
> restart Outlook and try sending again.
>
> Also, do you have a virus scanner installed which integrates itself with
> Outlook? Uninstall this integration part of your virus scanner and try
> again; you'd still be sufficiently protected by your on-access scanner part
> of the virus scanner. For more details see;
> http://www.msoutlook.info/question/20
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> http://www.howto-outlook.com/
>
> http://www.msoutlook.info/
>
> -----
>
> "BobT." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm traveling. While charter.net is my home ISP and I can send email
> > using
> > Charter's own Webmail system, I cannot send using my Microsoft Outlook
> > 2003
> > SP3 from anywhere today. I've tried using the free Wi-Fi at Panera Bread
> > and
> > I've tried a home network here which is using AOL. I even changed the
> > outgoing server address to <smtp.aol.com> while at the local home using
> > AOL
> > from <smtp.charter.net> which I use at my home location and I was using at
> > Panera Bread. (I also tried <mail.charter.net> which is what Charter
> > suggested, and that didn't work either.>) My Outlook tells me it is
> > processing my outbox
> > messages but then tells me it failed. And, indeed, it has failed.
> > Everything is still sitting in my Outbox and nothing shows in my Sent Mail
> > file. I use XP Pro SP3 as my OS. Can anyone help me to send email from
> > Microsoft Outlook while I'm traveling these next few days? (Incoming mail
> > works just fine.) Authentication is NOT selected, as I never have to do
> > that at home on my home domain. I've tried selecting authentication and
> > each
> > of the three ways to do so - but still I can't get mail to Send. I've
> > checked with Charter and they claim that as I can send and receive using
> > their Webmail system it's not their problem but it's Microsoft's. I
> > really
> > don't care whose problem it is...I just want it to work! Any help will be
> > greatly appreciated!!!
> >

> .

DL

      16th Dec 2009
You may have to uninstall your AV, then reboot, then reinstall the AV
without the outlook integration in order to ensure its outlook hooks have
been completely removed

Closed Thread