Can't see Shares

=?Utf-8?B?ZmJvbg==?=

      17th Apr 2007
Hello,
I have 3 laptops and one desktop and a linksys wireless router. The desktop
is connected by a cat5 cable to the router and the laptops are connected
wireless. The desktop has a printer hooked up local that is shared and the
firewall is turned off. On all computers file and printer sharing is
installed and clients for Microsoft networks. The problem is from all the
laptops I can ping the desktop but when I unc to see the shares the computer
can’t be found on the network. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Frank

=?Utf-8?B?ZmJvbg==?=

      17th Apr 2007

"fbon" wrote:

> Hello,
> I have 3 laptops and one desktop and a linksys wireless router. The desktop
> is connected by a cat5 cable to the router and the laptops are connected
> wireless. The desktop has a printer hooked up local that is shared and the
> firewall is turned off. On all computers file and printer sharing is
> installed and clients for Microsoft networks. The problem is from all the
> laptops I can ping the desktop but when I unc to see the shares the computer
> can’t be found on the network. All spyware has been removed. I would appreciate any help.
> Thanks,
> Frank

Malke

      18th Apr 2007
fbon wrote:
> Hello,
> I have 3 laptops and one desktop and a linksys wireless router. The desktop
> is connected by a cat5 cable to the router and the laptops are connected
> wireless. The desktop has a printer hooked up local that is shared and the
> firewall is turned off. On all computers file and printer sharing is
> installed and clients for Microsoft networks. The problem is from all the
> laptops I can ping the desktop but when I unc to see the shares the computer
> can’t be found on the network. I would appreciate any help.
> Thanks,
> Frank

General networking troubleshooting:

This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. I understand
that you said you turned "the firewall" off but you may have missed one.
Run the Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable
File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will
turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
substitute your correct subnet.

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

accounts/passwords on all computers.

b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
Simple File Sharing enabled.

resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters
in your situation.

Shared Documents folder.

If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers