Can't Restart XP Home Edt. - Desktop not Reloading/Blank Screen

Aggie2003

      25th Nov 2009
Thank you All in advance for your responds.

My laptop was working fine and then it froze. I couldnt restart it on my
desktop since it was frozen so I turned it off from the on/off button and
then turned it on again. I saw the windows logo showing on my screen while
a blank black screen after the reloading process and no error messages. I
push the F8 button to access the "advanced options menu" during the restart.
I tried safe mode, Last Known Good Configuration, Start Windows Normalls but
none of those options worked. I didnt want to get into more technical stuff
without an expert's offers for alternative solutions. I want to find a
solution without loosing any documents in my computer. I would appreciate if
you could please send me your recommendations. Thank you

Now, on my Advanced Options Menu, i see the following:

"
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA Mode
Last Known Good Configuration
Directory Restore Mode (Windows Domain Controllers only)
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure

Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu
"
PS: My computer has the Windows XP Restore CD installed. It came like that
from the factory without a CD.

Bruce Chambers

      25th Nov 2009

Aggie2003 wrote:
> Thank you All in advance for your responds.
>
> My laptop was working fine and then it froze. I couldnt restart it on my
> desktop since it was frozen so I turned it off from the on/off button and
> then turned it on again. I saw the windows logo showing on my screen while
> a blank black screen after the reloading process and no error messages. I
> push the F8 button to access the "advanced options menu" during the restart.
> I tried safe mode, Last Known Good Configuration, Start Windows Normalls but
> none of those options worked. I didnt want to get into more technical stuff
> without an expert's offers for alternative solutions. I want to find a
> solution without loosing any documents in my computer. I would appreciate if
> you could please send me your recommendations. Thank you
>
> Now, on my Advanced Options Menu, i see the following:
>
> "
> Safe Mode
> Safe Mode with Networking
> Safe Mode with Command Prompt
>
> Enable Boot Logging
> Enable VGA Mode
> Last Known Good Configuration
> Directory Restore Mode (Windows Domain Controllers only)
> Debugging Mode
> Disable automatic restart on system failure
>
> Start Windows Normally
> Reboot
> Return to OS Choices Menu
> "
> PS: My computer has the Windows XP Restore CD installed. It came like that
> from the factory without a CD.

It could be that the abrupt shut down that you were pretty much forced
to use caused your normal user profile to be damaged. Have you tried
logging in with any other user accounts to see if they produce the same
results?

I'd recommend trying to log in using the built-in Administrator
account. By design, the only way to log into the built-in Administrator
account of WinXP Home is to reboot into Safe Mode. Unless you'd
deliberately set the Administrator's password via the Management Console
(_not_ the Control Panel), it's probably still blank. WinXP Pro asks
the installer to set the Administrator's password during installation,
but WinXP Home doesn't.

If this is successful, you can rename your former account (i.e., change
the folder name "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName" to "C:\Documents
and Settings\UserName.old," create a new user account for yourself, log
into it once to create the profile's folder structure, and then copy the
data files from the old user profile into the new one.

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot