I can't open pdf files!

=?Utf-8?B?bWlrZQ==?=

      24th Jun 2004
I can't open pdf files! I use windows xp home addition and also have norton anti-virus. I keep both of them current on fixes and such.

I downloaded the adobe free reader vs 6.0.1. The download manager and the reader are both sucessfully downloaded. The adobe reader icon appears on my desktop. When I click on the icon or click on a pdf file from an interner sourse I get an adobe error signature... acrord32.exe appver:6.0.1. My computer then seems to just freeze-up.

I joined adobe's support forum, posted this problem and the only response I have received was to go to control pannel/add/remove, remove adobe and download it again. I've done this three times and still do not have a fix for this problem.

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!
--
mike

*Vanguard*

      24th Jun 2004
mike said in news:(E-Mail Removed):
> I can't open pdf files! I use windows xp home addition and also have
> norton anti-virus. I keep both of them current on fixes and such.
>
> I downloaded the adobe free reader vs 6.0.1. The download manager and
> the reader are both sucessfully downloaded. The adobe reader icon
> appears on my desktop. When I click on the icon or click on a pdf
> file from an interner sourse I get an adobe error signature...
> acrord32.exe appver:6.0.1. My computer then seems to just freeze-up.
>
> I joined adobe's support forum, posted this problem and the only
> response I have received was to go to control pannel/add/remove,
> remove adobe and download it again. I've done this three times and
> still do not have a fix for this problem.
>
> Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

What happens if you right-click on the link to the .pdf file, select to
save it locally, and then open the local .pdf file using Acrobat Reader
6?

What happens if you disable the option within Acrobat Reader to display
the .pdf file within the browser window? Try clicking on a .pdf file
and have AR6 open its own window rather than trying to reuse IE's
window. I've encountered problems using AR6 within IE6 (although had no
such problems with AR5 with IE6) and have since configured AR6 to behave
this way where it opens the .pdf in its own window separate of the
browser's window.

When you uninstall a product (to then reinstall it), make sure you do
any manual cleanup after the uninstall. Uninstalls are notorious for
leaving behind directories, files, and registry keys. These remnants
can affect a subsequent reinstall of the product.

*** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

Haus

      24th Jun 2004
Hello
Download your latest virus definitions and do a complete virus scan, BugBear
Worm is known to affect PDF file downloads.

Run this stinger just in case.
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

--
Hope this helps
Haus

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I can't open pdf files! I use windows xp home addition and also have

norton anti-virus. I keep both of them current on fixes and such.

> I downloaded the adobe free reader vs 6.0.1. The download manager and the

reader are both sucessfully downloaded. The adobe reader icon appears on my
desktop. When I click on the icon or click on a pdf file from an interner
sourse I get an adobe error signature... acrord32.exe appver:6.0.1. My
computer then seems to just freeze-up.

> I joined adobe's support forum, posted this problem and the only response

I have received was to go to control pannel/add/remove, remove adobe and
download it again. I've done this three times and still do not have a fix
for this problem.

> Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> mike

Kenny S

      24th Jun 2004
uninstall version 6 and install version 5.0.5
You will find the version 5 here:
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=acrobat

--

Hope this helps. Let us know.
_____________

---

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I can't open pdf files! I use windows xp home addition and also have

norton anti-virus. I keep both of them current on fixes and such.

> I downloaded the adobe free reader vs 6.0.1. The download manager and the

reader are both sucessfully downloaded. The adobe reader icon appears on my
desktop. When I click on the icon or click on a pdf file from an interner
sourse I get an adobe error signature... acrord32.exe appver:6.0.1. My
computer then seems to just freeze-up.

> I joined adobe's support forum, posted this problem and the only response

I have received was to go to control pannel/add/remove, remove adobe and
download it again. I've done this three times and still do not have a fix
for this problem.

> Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> mike

uninstall version 6 and install version 5.0.5
You will find the version 5 here:
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=acrobat

--

Hope this helps. Let us know.
_____________
Kenny S
http://www.computerboom.net
FREE programs and MORE!

---

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I can't open pdf files! I use windows xp home addition and also have

norton anti-virus. I keep both of them current on fixes and such.

> I downloaded the adobe free reader vs 6.0.1. The download manager and the

reader are both sucessfully downloaded. The adobe reader icon appears on my
desktop. When I click on the icon or click on a pdf file from an interner
sourse I get an adobe error signature... acrord32.exe appver:6.0.1. My
computer then seems to just freeze-up.

> I joined adobe's support forum, posted this problem and the only response

I have received was to go to control pannel/add/remove, remove adobe and
download it again. I've done this three times and still do not have a fix
for this problem.

> Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> mike

Kenny S

      25th Jun 2004
try emptying you temporary internet files....
post again and tell me what happened....

--

Hope this helps. Let us know.
_____________

---

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kenny S:
> Thanks. I did as you suggested however when I now try to open a pdf file

with my newly downloaded Adobe vs 5.0.5, I get a message that says " a
temporary file cannot be opened".
> [...]

> > norton anti-virus. I keep both of them current on fixes and such.
> > >
> > > I downloaded the adobe free reader vs 6.0.1. The download manager and

the
> > reader are both sucessfully downloaded. The adobe reader icon appears on

my
> > desktop. When I click on the icon or click on a pdf file from an

interner
> > sourse I get an adobe error signature... acrord32.exe appver:6.0.1. My
> > computer then seems to just freeze-up.
> > >
> > > I joined adobe's support forum, posted this problem and the only

response
> > I have received was to go to control pannel/add/remove, remove adobe and
> > download it again. I've done this three times and still do not have a

fix
> > for this problem.
> > >
> > > Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

---

fyz fyz is offline
New Member

      26th Apr 2008
Hi,

If the metods still not work, the pdf file might be damaged or something. I think you can try a utility called Advanced PDF Repair to repair your PDF file. It works rather well for my corrupt PDF files. Its web address is http://www.datanumen.com/apdfr/

Hope this will be useful.

Alan