Can't move system to new machine

The Real Bev

      10th Apr 2005
I started out with a used 233 MHz machine with a 3-gig HD running win2K. I
only want to use this machine for applications that won't run under linux
(turbotax, scanner, camera, etc.). The previous installation seemed OK after
I deleted Jason's pre-school games (all that the machine contained) and
installed what I needed including whatever upgrades MS said I needed. Added a
5-gig drive as E:\ and added more needed software. Everything ran fine,
except for the fact that I only have 650 meg unused space on the drive and
some software insists on adding itself to the c:\drive.

This machine has always taken a long time to boot, sticking several minutes
each in the 'applying security policies' and 'applying personal settings'
screens both before and after installing the MS security updates from the
April 2004 CD.

Acquired a faster machine. Put the C:\ drive in and got nothing but the blue
STOP <etc> screen. Tried all possible varieties of repair from my win2K CD,
all of which claimed success. Still got the blue STOP screen.

Used hdclone to move C:\ to a new 20-gig drive. Same STOP screen. Tried
original 3-gig drive in several different machines. Same STOP screen.
Installed brand-new win2K system on freshly formatted 20-gig drive in faster
machine. Works OK, except machine isn't THAT much faster because the BIOS
only allows it to run at 100MHz instead of the 850MHz it's supposed to be.
Put 20-gig drive in original 233 machine. Blue STOP screen.

Based on experience here, it would seem that there's some rule about win2K
running only on the machine it was created in. Could this possibly be true?
I still need to install software and I have no idea how much space on C: it
will require, and 650 meg seems like not anywhere near enough squish room
anyway.

Help!

--
Cheers, Bev
I have no idea what I'm talking about, so here's

=?Utf-8?B?YmFyYndpcmU=?=

      23rd Apr 2005

"The Real Bev" wrote:

> I started out with a used 233 MHz machine with a 3-gig HD running win2K. I
> only want to use this machine for applications that won't run under linux
> (turbotax, scanner, camera, etc.). The previous installation seemed OK after
> I deleted Jason's pre-school games (all that the machine contained) and
> installed what I needed including whatever upgrades MS said I needed. Added a
> 5-gig drive as E:\ and added more needed software. Everything ran fine,
> except for the fact that I only have 650 meg unused space on the drive and
> some software insists on adding itself to the c:\drive.
>
> This machine has always taken a long time to boot, sticking several minutes
> each in the 'applying security policies' and 'applying personal settings'
> screens both before and after installing the MS security updates from the
> April 2004 CD.
>
> Acquired a faster machine. Put the C:\ drive in and got nothing but the blue
> STOP <etc> screen. Tried all possible varieties of repair from my win2K CD,
> all of which claimed success. Still got the blue STOP screen.
>
> Used hdclone to move C:\ to a new 20-gig drive. Same STOP screen. Tried
> original 3-gig drive in several different machines. Same STOP screen.
> Installed brand-new win2K system on freshly formatted 20-gig drive in faster
> machine. Works OK, except machine isn't THAT much faster because the BIOS
> only allows it to run at 100MHz instead of the 850MHz it's supposed to be.
> Put 20-gig drive in original 233 machine. Blue STOP screen.
>
> Based on experience here, it would seem that there's some rule about win2K
> running only on the machine it was created in. Could this possibly be true?
> I still need to install software and I have no idea how much space on C: it
> will require, and 650 meg seems like not anywhere near enough squish room
> anyway.
>
> Help!
>
> --
> Cheers, Bev
> I have no idea what I'm talking about, so here's
> a bunny with a pancake on his head:
> http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/misc15.jpg

=?Utf-8?B?YmFyYndpcmU=?=

      23rd Apr 2005
im fairly new at this how ever it sounds like the heads and cyl . may not b
right

"The Real Bev" wrote:

> I started out with a used 233 MHz machine with a 3-gig HD running win2K. I
> only want to use this machine for applications that won't run under linux
> (turbotax, scanner, camera, etc.). The previous installation seemed OK after
> I deleted Jason's pre-school games (all that the machine contained) and
> installed what I needed including whatever upgrades MS said I needed. Added a
> 5-gig drive as E:\ and added more needed software. Everything ran fine,
> except for the fact that I only have 650 meg unused space on the drive and
> some software insists on adding itself to the c:\drive.
>
> This machine has always taken a long time to boot, sticking several minutes
> each in the 'applying security policies' and 'applying personal settings'
> screens both before and after installing the MS security updates from the
> April 2004 CD.
>
> Acquired a faster machine. Put the C:\ drive in and got nothing but the blue
> STOP <etc> screen. Tried all possible varieties of repair from my win2K CD,
> all of which claimed success. Still got the blue STOP screen.
>
> Used hdclone to move C:\ to a new 20-gig drive. Same STOP screen. Tried
> original 3-gig drive in several different machines. Same STOP screen.
> Installed brand-new win2K system on freshly formatted 20-gig drive in faster
> machine. Works OK, except machine isn't THAT much faster because the BIOS
> only allows it to run at 100MHz instead of the 850MHz it's supposed to be.
> Put 20-gig drive in original 233 machine. Blue STOP screen.
>
> Based on experience here, it would seem that there's some rule about win2K
> running only on the machine it was created in. Could this possibly be true?
> I still need to install software and I have no idea how much space on C: it
> will require, and 650 meg seems like not anywhere near enough squish room
> anyway.
>
> Help!
>
> --
> Cheers, Bev
> I have no idea what I'm talking about, so here's
> a bunny with a pancake on his head:
> http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/misc15.jpg

DL

      24th Apr 2005
I've lost the plot on this post, but if you're saying you moved a hd, that
had win2k installed, to a new pc, and wish to use the win2k previously
installed, you have to run the win repair installation, in order for win to
recognise your new sys.

"barbwire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> im fairly new at this how ever it sounds like the heads and cyl . may not

> right
>
> "The Real Bev" wrote:
>
> > I started out with a used 233 MHz machine with a 3-gig HD running win2K.

> > only want to use this machine for applications that won't run under

linux
> > (turbotax, scanner, camera, etc.). The previous installation seemed OK

after
> > I deleted Jason's pre-school games (all that the machine contained) and
> > installed what I needed including whatever upgrades MS said I needed.

Added a
> > 5-gig drive as E:\ and added more needed software. Everything ran fine,
> > except for the fact that I only have 650 meg unused space on the drive

and
> > some software insists on adding itself to the c:\drive.
> >
> > This machine has always taken a long time to boot, sticking several

minutes
> > each in the 'applying security policies' and 'applying personal

settings'
> > screens both before and after installing the MS security updates from

the
> > April 2004 CD.
> >
> > Acquired a faster machine. Put the C:\ drive in and got nothing but the

blue
> > STOP <etc> screen. Tried all possible varieties of repair from my win2K

CD,
> > all of which claimed success. Still got the blue STOP screen.
> >
> > Used hdclone to move C:\ to a new 20-gig drive. Same STOP screen.

Tried
> > original 3-gig drive in several different machines. Same STOP screen.
> > Installed brand-new win2K system on freshly formatted 20-gig drive in

faster
> > machine. Works OK, except machine isn't THAT much faster because the

BIOS
> > only allows it to run at 100MHz instead of the 850MHz it's supposed to

be.
> > Put 20-gig drive in original 233 machine. Blue STOP screen.
> >
> > Based on experience here, it would seem that there's some rule about

win2K
> > running only on the machine it was created in. Could this possibly be

true?
> > I still need to install software and I have no idea how much space on C:

it
> > will require, and 650 meg seems like not anywhere near enough squish

room
> > anyway.
> >
> > Help!
> >
> > --
> > Cheers, Bev
> > I have no idea what I'm talking about, so here's
> > a bunny with a pancake on his head:
> > http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/misc15.jpg

The Real Bev

      25th Apr 2005
DL wrote:

> I've lost the plot on this post, but if you're saying you moved a hd, that
> had win2k installed, to a new pc, and wish to use the win2k previously
> installed, you have to run the win repair installation, in order for win to
> recognise your new sys.

I did all levels of repair using the win2K CD. Claimed success but actually
failed. Do they still call it a BSOD when it refuses to boot, or is that
limited to sudden death while running?

Someone else suggested something like "zero out all your current hardware
devices, shut down the machine, move the hard drive to the new machine and let
it discover all the new devices by itself". I haven't tried it, but it sounds
sensible. What sounds insane is that there seems to be NO efficient (or
automatic) way for a windows installation to transfer itself to a new hard
drive (surely a common requirement) or to transfer the drive itself to a new
system.

--
Cheers,
Bev

DL

      26th Apr 2005
Well I've never had a problem using the repair install option, though I
guess theres allways a first time.
However you seem to be saying that you've now got a fresh install, but that
the bios has downgraded the cpu? speed. If that is the case you have a
hardware problem/fault
Whatever youre trying to do you cannot willy nilly move an o/s hd from one
sys to another.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...