can't make Win2k automatically logon a user

Anne Onime

      14th Jul 2010
I had Windows 2000 automatically logon for several years.
(this is on a PC not connected to internet, and only accessible
by me, so I consider this safe).
But last few days, it demands a password when I boot.
I go to Control Panel - Users and Passwords,
I uncheck [users must enter a user name and password to use this computer]
click OK then it asks for Administrator password
But next time I reboot, I must enter a password.
I return to control panel, and there is a tick there requiring
user and password.
So what is resetting this option to automatically logon?

John John -MVP

      14th Jul 2010
On 7/14/2010 6:52 AM, Anne Onime wrote:
> I had Windows 2000 automatically logon for several years.
> (this is on a PC not connected to internet, and only accessible
> by me, so I consider this safe).
> But last few days, it demands a password when I boot.
> I go to Control Panel - Users and Passwords,
> I uncheck [users must enter a user name and password to use this computer]
> click OK then it asks for Administrator password
> But next time I reboot, I must enter a password.
> I return to control panel, and there is a tick there requiring
> user and password.
> So what is resetting this option to automatically logon?

How to enable automatic logon in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310584/

Autologon for Windows v3.0

John