Can't install windows, any version

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

      18th Oct 2005
Reformatted my hard drive. When I try to reload Windows XP, I get an error
message stating "cannot copy file per_seg5.swf" and the installation craps
out from there. I've tried loading Win 98SE with the same results.
I've done every test I can on the hardware, tried a differant hard drive,
and get the same result and an unbootable computer.
I must be missing something, but I can't figure out what! I'm wide open to
suggestions.

Thanks

Alceryes

      18th Oct 2005

> Reformatted my hard drive. When I try to reload Windows XP, I get an error
> message stating "cannot copy file per_seg5.swf" and the installation craps
> out from there. I've tried loading Win 98SE with the same results.
> I've done every test I can on the hardware, tried a differant hard drive,
> and get the same result and an unbootable computer.
> I must be missing something, but I can't figure out what! I'm wide open to
> suggestions.
>
> Thanks

Maybe your CD drive? Try booting from a Win98 startup floppy and copying the
Win98 CABS folder to your HD and run setup from there.
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

=?Utf-8?B?Q291cnRuZXkgUg==?=

      18th Oct 2005
Sounds like a problem with the CD itself. Can you clean it off. Search
google for proper way to do so. Do you have a genuine copy of Windows XP?
If its a CD-R disc copy, eventually over time it will degrade. And lastly,
how about your CD rom drive, is it old? Several companies make a CD lens
cleaner kit, that uses small bristles to clean off the CD-Rom drive lens head.

Good Luck

"Paul" wrote:

> Reformatted my hard drive. When I try to reload Windows XP, I get an error
> message stating "cannot copy file per_seg5.swf" and the installation craps
> out from there. I've tried loading Win 98SE with the same results.
> I've done every test I can on the hardware, tried a differant hard drive,
> and get the same result and an unbootable computer.
> I must be missing something, but I can't figure out what! I'm wide open to
> suggestions.
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?QnJ1Y2UgQ2hhbWJlcnM=?=

      18th Oct 2005
Problems copying files, or corrupted files, during installation are most
often caused be defective/sub-standard hardware components. In order of
likelihood: RAM, motherboard, or the hard drive. What was the original
problem that necessitated the OS re-installation? It may hold a clue as to
what component is still failing.