can't install Silverlight (and other app) on XP sp3 after virus at

Rich

      16th Apr 2010

My workstation got hit with the XP Defender virus on Monday April 5, 2010.
This wreaked some major havoc on my machine. It took the IT guiy over a week
to clear out all traces of the virus. In the meantime, some system files
(among other things) had gotten corrupted. IT replaces these files with
files from another machine - probably older files. We then ran windows
updates but encountered a problem with the silverlight update. Also, Visual
Studio 2003, 2005, 2008 SP1 loaded on this machine. VS2008 SP1 also
complained about sliverlight - actually about the xaml. We tried removing
sliverlight so we could reinstall it but kept getting this dialog box saying
that the installed product didn't match the installation source. I also
encountered this problem with Quictime (which isn't even microsoft). I can't
remove quicktime from this computer either, and I can't reinstall it.

Is there a fix for this? Or is this a reformat thing?

Thanks

David H. Lipman

      16th Apr 2010
From: "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| My workstation got hit with the XP Defender virus on Monday April 5, 2010.
| This wreaked some major havoc on my machine. It took the IT guiy over a week
| to clear out all traces of the virus. In the meantime, some system files
| (among other things) had gotten corrupted. IT replaces these files with
| files from another machine - probably older files. We then ran windows
| updates but encountered a problem with the silverlight update. Also, Visual
| Studio 2003, 2005, 2008 SP1 loaded on this machine. VS2008 SP1 also
| complained about sliverlight - actually about the xaml. We tried removing
| sliverlight so we could reinstall it but kept getting this dialog box saying
| that the installed product didn't match the installation source. I also
| encountered this problem with Quictime (which isn't even microsoft). I can't
| remove quicktime from this computer either, and I can't reinstall it.

| Is there a fix for this? Or is this a reformat thing?

| Thanks

"XP Defender" is not and was never a "virus". It is malware but not a virus.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses.

--
Dave

sanjacstudent12

      16th Apr 2010

"Rich" wrote:

> My workstation got hit with the XP Defender virus on Monday April 5, 2010.
> This wreaked some major havoc on my machine. It took the IT guiy over a week
> to clear out all traces of the virus. In the meantime, some system files
> (among other things) had gotten corrupted. IT replaces these files with
> files from another machine - probably older files. We then ran windows
> updates but encountered a problem with the silverlight update. Also, Visual
> Studio 2003, 2005, 2008 SP1 loaded on this machine. VS2008 SP1 also
> complained about sliverlight - actually about the xaml. We tried removing
> sliverlight so we could reinstall it but kept getting this dialog box saying
> that the installed product didn't match the installation source. I also
> encountered this problem with Quictime (which isn't even microsoft). I can't
> remove quicktime from this computer either, and I can't reinstall it.
>
> Is there a fix for this? Or is this a reformat thing?
>
> Thanks

Are any of the drive letters on your current machine different from that of
the source of that registry file?